hufflazon

Huge Ships in Corellian Conflict

Posted (edited)

I am organizing a Corellian Conflict for my local group and several people are planning to bring SSDs. I haven't seen much discussion about this yet so I thought it might be useful to have a thread on it.

Here are the interesting things that I've found so far. 

1) By RAW Huge ships are not required to bring only one upgrade in the first round. 

2) The Crippled status doesn't have any long term effect in the campaign. 

I'm sure there are probably more that I haven't thought of yet.  Anything else people here are aware of?

Edited by hufflazon

Wasn't following your second point as I was confusing it with 'scarred' (the campaign effect), which definitely DOES effect huge ships, but...you are referring to the special 'huge' ship status of 'crippled', which is half points for it, yes?  If so, you're right, that appears to have no campaign effect in CC.

I think I'd house-rule those two things.  IE., 'crippled' starts as a scarred ship does, although it doesn't risk the permanent loss if destroyed twice.  And apply the single-upgrade limitation to round 1 buys (which basically only effects round 1, anyway).  Nobody wants to face an SSD with gunnery teams when they have only single or no upgrades on their own ships...

3 hours ago, xanderf said:

Wasn't following your second point as I was confusing it with 'scarred' (the campaign effect), which definitely DOES effect huge ships, but...you are referring to the special 'huge' ship status of 'crippled', which is half points for it, yes?  If so, you're right, that appears to have no campaign effect in CC.

I think I'd house-rule those two things.  IE., 'crippled' starts as a scarred ship does, although it doesn't risk the permanent loss if destroyed twice.  And apply the single-upgrade limitation to round 1 buys (which basically only effects round 1, anyway).  Nobody wants to face an SSD with gunnery teams when they have only single or no upgrades on their own ships...

It should maybe lose more than one defence token too, since it has so many.

2 hours ago, Triangular said:

I would think that means you can't equip any cards to huge ships.

I mean you are just wrong. That sentence literally makes no statement about huge ships.

Huge ships weren't even a gleam in ffg's eye when CC was released, so it's no surprise the rules don't consider them.

I would hold them to the 1 upgrade rule just like all the other ship sizes, I think it makes the most sense.

The next bit has no bearing in rules, but I think it's thematic so.....

I would apply crippled a bit like scarred: if the ship was crippled in the previous game then it begins the next game with 1 discarded defense token and 1 facedown damage card. (Unlike scarring the ship will not be lost if it is destroyed though). This would stack with scarring, so a scarred ssd would be starting the next round with 2 damage cards and 2 discarded defense tokens.

Given how tough it can be to kill the SSD (especially with limited upgrades) I think you need to have some kind of lasting effect for hurting it badly.

Being a casual(ish) format, I think CC is (or at least should be) more about RAI than RAW. If people are going to be bringing the SSD to your CC campaign you really want to put balance over giving the SSD all it's shiny toys.

We are currently running a CC campaign (SKywalker mods) and elected to use the SSD in one of the Imperial fleets.  Our thoughts on it are as follows:

- We ruled that the SSD was not limited to starting upgrades (RAW).  This seemed manageable.  

- The SSD is almost immune to being scarred.  We ruled that "crippled" resulted in a "scarred" condition.

- SSD+Spynet is absolutely broken