GhengisharnIV

Navarro interview...

14 minutes ago, devin.pike.1989 said:

You put your weird opinion about star wars being some kind of "social engineering" out online and now you are having an absolute hissy fit that I disagree.  I am going to do us both a favor and block you.  I suggest you do the same to me.  Bye.

Quote or it didn’t” happen...

seriously, saying Star Wars opinions (and do some research on George Lucas) are weird is the best you can do?  I certainly am not having a hysterical fit over your disagreement with the obvious and I would counsel you to be careful with language that in my day had a specific gender connotation (hissy Missy). You cannot “do” me a favour by blocking...the forum comments and accounts I choose to access are part of the internet. I actually blocked you days ago but could not Resistance. (So to speak).

I look forward to the next catch and release...

5 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

Ofcourse, it would be foolish for FFG to publicly say that the sequels are unpopular.

From a business perspective, if the sequels were popular, FFG would be quick to implement them for legion. 

I believe its it’s a combination of both. The sequels aren’t popular and their isn’t enough content for them -> we won’t see them in the game.

The sequels are popular, lel. I get people not liking them but they’re both in the top 10 grossing movies of all times. They’re wildly popular. 

9 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

The sequels are popular, lel. I get people not liking them but they’re both in the top 10 grossing movies of all times. They’re wildly popular. 

TLJ was #12.... 

Exactly! If people are not liking the sequels then this is just another reason why FFG has decided to avoid the FO / Resistance era for now. 

1 hour ago, R3dReVenge said:

TLJ was #12.... 

Exactly! If people are not liking the sequels then this is just another reason why FFG has decided to avoid the FO / Resistance era for now. 

Man that axe gotta be short after so much grinding.

"A 'Mary Sue' for those of you not familiar with the term, is a character—almost always female—who everybody loves and who does everything right. Practically perfect in every way."

AKA Rey. I love Rey. She's the only character that I find enjoyable in the sequels, but let's be honest.

She wins all the time, without having to go through the hardships of losing / training. 

No, actually, but this does explain why you’ve misused the term.

Mary Sue was a character in a Star Trek fan fiction, a guest star stand-in for the author, who exceeded the capabilities of the original cast at every turn, effectively negating their  narrative purpose.

And, to be clear, what do you call being marooned on a battleground for many years, being forced to scrounge scrap to earn rations? That’s not a hardship? 🧐

"A 'Mary Sue' for those of you not familiar with the term, is a character—almost always female—who everybody loves and who does everything right. Practically perfect in every way."

AKA Rey. I love Rey. She's the only character that I find enjoyable in the sequels, but let's be honest.

She wins all the time, without having to go through the hardships of losing / training. 

I count TLJ as a loss for Rey. She thought she could redeem Kylo Ren but had misjudged things. The revelation about her parents didn’t have the same level of impact on *me* as a viewer as “Luke, I am your father” did but it must have stung pretty badly for Rey. 

She didn’t lose a hand or anything, but wouldn’t that have been too much?

21 minutes ago, Tayloraj100 said:

I count TLJ as a loss for Rey. She thought she could redeem Kylo Ren but had misjudged things. The revelation about her parents didn’t have the same level of impact on *me* as a viewer as “Luke, I am your father” did but it must have stung pretty badly for Rey. 

She didn’t lose a hand or anything, but wouldn’t that have been too much?

I read that as Kylo lying outright to manipulate Rey. 

54 minutes ago, KalEl814 said:

Man that axe gotta be short after so much grinding.

With all the fake news going around nowadays. I fact check everything.

48 minutes ago, Derrault said:

No, actually, but this does explain why you’ve misused the term.

Mary Sue was a character in a Star Trek fan fiction, a guest star stand-in for the author, who exceeded the capabilities of the original cast at every turn, effectively negating their  narrative purpose.

And, to be clear, what do you call being marooned on a battleground for many years, being forced to scrounge scrap to earn rations? That’s not a hardship? 🧐

Words / phrases have multiple meanings. A simple google search can enlighten you bud. https://www.google.com/search?q=mary+sue&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS797US797&oq=mary+sue&aqs=chrome..69i57l2j69i60l3.819j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Just now, R3dReVenge said:

With all the fake news going around nowadays. I fact check everything.

Words / phrases have multiple meanings. A simple google search can enlighten you bud. https://www.google.com/search?q=mary+sue&rlz=1C1CHBD_enUS797US797&oq=mary+sue&aqs=chrome..69i57l2j69i60l3.819j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I’m talking about the historically correct use of the term, and how it doesn’t apply to this character. Use it right, or don’t use it at all. 

10 minutes ago, Derrault said:

I’m talking about the historically correct use of the term, and how it doesn’t apply to this character. Use it right, or don’t use it at all. 

There is no "historical" use of this term. 

It's not my fault that you refuse to look it up. 

Continue to be uninformed. 

Edited by R3dReVenge

11 hours ago, GhengisharnIV said:

One R...Yeah I know, spellcheck and auto-include are a problem...Ifigure Andrew will forgive me considering how many shekels FFG gets from me...

you are right about auto-include, I had to write three times Navaro before it stopped to auto-correct with a double R XD

Rey is not a Mary Sue because we see where he abilities come from. The early scenes on Jakku establish this. Though the term is highly subjective, I don't think she fits the criteria in the least. Particularly not in Star Wars where being born "strong in the force" is a thing. Plenty of stuff goes wrong for Rey and we know how she got her abilities, at the school of hard knocks. My issue with the character is the greater dearth of motivation for protagonists of the sequels. I can't buy a scavenger taking issue with someone scavenging a droid for parts. So for the rest of the movie she just seems like she's along for the ride with Finn, whose defection makes no real sense either. Meanwhile we have Poe who reminds me of Gunhaver from Cheat Commandos: his only motivation is fighting the badguys because he's a goodguy.

https://fanlore.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

The term originated in 1973 to make fun of a discernible pattern in fan fiction. Someone wrote a parody of the then common fanfic tropes and named her protagonist Lt. Mary Sue.

Edited by TauntaunScout

10 hours ago, R3dReVenge said:

There is no "historical" use of this term. 

It's not my fault that you refuse to look it up. 

Continue to be uninformed. 

Actually, if you follow the link and scroll a tad down to go read some of the actual articles, they explain the origin if the term (the Vox article was particularly good in that respect before also moving to the question of whether or not Rey is one). Just typing a word into google is not research, and only reading the first thing that pops up does not make you informed.

33 minutes ago, Tayloraj100 said:

Actually, if you follow the link and scroll a tad down to go read some of the actual articles, they explain the origin if the term (the Vox article was particularly good in that respect before also moving to the question of whether or not Rey is one). Just typing a word into google is not research, and only reading the first thing that pops up does not make you informed.

Way off topic of the actual interview now... but I actually think the best example of one in (relatively modern) media is Carrie from S&TC. Compared to all the other characters she has a very charmed life, and, her friends make fun of each other and she of them, but no punny jabs at those lunches are ever directed at Carrie.

I think the problem (designing factions) around first order and resistance is that right now, there's been no true set piece battles.  

The first order has a plethora of units that would be sweet to see on the table, as well as characters.  We've even seen a first order AT-ST.

The resistance however, we see very little in the way of ground troops.  We are those that showed up with Leia at Kanada's, a few in the background, those rickety speeders, and armed villagers,  but no real set piece battles that would inform how they fight.

More importantly, would be if both factions end up being (mechanic wise), 'more differenter ' versions of existing rebel and empire.

that, and based on how contentious the fans are currently about the movies and media  in which those factions appear, I can see why they don't want to touch those factions currently.

Edited by joewrightgm

3 hours ago, joewrightgm said:

that, and based on how contentious the fans are currently about the movies and media  in which those factions appear, I can see why they don't want to touch those factions currently.

If that was the case, why did, and still does, FFG put sequel content into x-wing?   As well as Armada has the Nadiri Starhawk from the aftermath novels?    By your reasoning there shouldn't be any of that content.  But clearly FFG has done it, so what does that mean?

6 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

If that was the case, why did, and still does, FFG put sequel content into x-wing?   As well as Armada has the Nadiri Starhawk from the aftermath novels?    By your reasoning there shouldn't be any of that content.  But clearly FFG has done it, so what does that mean?

Xwing it is pretty simple they had already added most ships before TLJ.  I haven't heard any real complaints about most of the new canon EU so no idea why anyone would complain about starhawks.  And besides Armada fans were getting scared of being forgotten

2 hours ago, chr335 said:

Xwing it is pretty simple they had already added most ships before TLJ.  I haven't heard any real complaints about most of the new canon EU so no idea why anyone would complain about starhawks.  And besides Armada fans were getting scared of being forgotten

But that is not what was said.   What I quoted said that FFG wouldn't want to ‘touch’ the sequels do to the content of the films.   If FFG was so concerned about this issue, there shouldn't be any sequel content for any of their games.

9 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I noticed that they seemed to have been stung by the way Disney is dropping them info and creating not lore accurate ships (TIE Silencer scale, TIE from rogue one that actually had bombs).  So with X-wing, they shot arrows and were forced to paint bullseyes around them post-facto.

the Starhawk seems to be established outside the movies apparently.  I read the first aftermath novel, it was hot trash, didn’t bother with the rest. 

We already have a load of models for FO. Just look to the empire models. They would still be using the same armor, the same equipment and be using the same units. Need FO stormtroopers? just use empire ones. The FO still has control of ice planets so would still be using snowtroopers. 

While they have doubtless gotten at least some new equipment and started new regimens for their troops (for example teaching close combat to troopers and possibly including low level force users to the ranks as shown by the one with the ...what would you call it? a light axe?) It MIGHT be too early for that to be showing a whole lot except in some cases just yet. Of course the imperial guard showed a wide difference in at least equipment but they would not take to the field a lot. The same with new vehicles, Not enough shown yet and it could still be too new to have made it's way into widespread use. The big thing they could do that would garner them the easy fruit of fast profits would be characters. Easily done as they are single models and could be a test the waters for possible future units. I would not suggest they put anything into production even then until after the last movie is released.

We also need to remember that FF is not as "geared" for miniature games as other companies are. It costs them more to produce them than others who have been in the business as long. Creation and production is not cheap and profits need to be build up for the capital to start new ventures. Also, as a smaller company, they do not always have their own stores dedicated purely for their own products so usually have to share shelf space. As more factions mean more needed shelf space, this could also be a reason. There are countless reasons we may not be seeing a lot of sequel stuff. of course, not everyone wants to hear it or be able to understand it so like with politicians, we can expect interviews to be edited and preplanned to tell what is easiest for the listener to understand and put themselves in the best light. So always take interviews with a grain of salt and expect things to change if it will make them money.