Sign in to follow this  
Tyberius_Deangelo

Need Help Choosing an Investigator

Posted (edited)

On September 14, a couple of friends of mine are going to begin our very first playthrough of the Dunwich Legacy Campaign.  One person is playing Daisy Walker and the other is playing Agnes Baker.  That gives us a clue hound with Daisy and a fairly versatile character in Agnes with spell options.  I am wondering if I should choose a fighter-based character?  Do you have any suggestions what would be a good third investigator for the Dunwich Campaign?  In terms of fighters, I own Roland Banks, Zoey Samara, Mark Harrigan, and Joe Diamond.  I am wondering if Joe might not be a good fit since he could help out with clues and be a fighter at the same time.  Any comments/suggestions would really be helpful! 

Edited by Tyberius_Deangelo

How much complexity are you comfortable with?

Joe Diamond can certainly get clues and fight, but he's kind of fragile with his low willpower/agility, and he wants seeker cards so if your group are all drawing from the same pool of cards you'll be competing with Daisy for some upgrades. In addition, his combat abililty drops off later on in the campaign because he doesn't have access to the stronger weapons. He can also be a bit confusing to build and play, especially if you're new to the game, because you have to worry about his main deck and his hunch deck.

Roland Banks is alright - he's very vulnerable to horror but he can be a strong fighter, and he can gather some clues with his ability. I wouldn't really recommend him for a newer player given your group, because he has some definite downsides and can be fiddly.

Zoey Samaras is relatively straightforward - she has a solid ability that rewards her for doing her job, high willpower and extra sanity, and you can choose how simple you want to build her. You could create an extremely simple Zoey build that just uses a Machete and optionally upgrades into a big gun later on. She lacks for clue-gathering, at least unless you add Sixth Sense from the Circle Undone cycle, but you can add some events that help, and if you are happy sticking to a one-handed weapon you can at least pack Flashlights to gather clues from a 2-shroud location.

Mark Harrigan can also be very straightforward - you want to pack some healing events (Emergency Aid, Second Wind) and be careful about his health. Because you can't afford to take more than 4 damage to Mark himself, and you want to take damage to use Sophie, he's actually pretty fragile, certainly not a very good tank. Like Roland he can be vulnerable to horror/willpower, but he can at least use Sophie to punch himself for emergency willpower tests. If you're comfortable with a very Guardian-focused character with a bit more complexity, Mark is a great choice. His ability to include Tactics from any class can be pretty cool as well. He has loads of draw power and doesn't need much in the way of skills thanks to Sophie, so you can run lots of cheap events and tanking assets and have nice flexibility.

If you have Mark Harrigan, you presumably also have William Yorick? Don't let his Survivor class fool you, he's just as much a monster-hunter as the Guardians. Like Joe, he can suffer a little later in the game since he can't use the big Guardian guns, but you can pull off some very fun tricks with his ability. I wouldn't recommend him for your first monster-hunter, because you have to keep your discard pile in mind and build accordingly, but you can also do some unconventional builds and get that scrappy Stranger Things feel of hunting down monsters with an old baseball bat and a kitchen knife.

So to summarise - Probably not Joe Diamond, Roland I wouldn't recommend unless you are happy playing around his weaknesses, Zoey for a very straightforward playstyle, Mark if you're happy with a bit more complexity, Yorick again for the complexity and a less conventional monster-hunting experience.

In a vacuum, I'd say go for Zoey (Willpower can be very important in Dunwich and your group is already very investigation-heavy so you can afford to lean hard into murder), but sadly it's not as simple as just the one good choice!

For that team:

A problem solver who ignores clues and just sets up until enemies arrive. With at most 1 or 2 sets of clue events in their deck.

These might include:

Every guardian save Carolyn. 

Yorick and Rita.

Jenny barnes.

Not knowing much about your collection. Zoey or Roland will do the trick.

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the replies; you have given me some stuff to think about and consider.  My collection is not as robust as most people's:  I own four copies of the core set, the entire Dunwich Legacy cycle, I own the Path to Carosa, Echos of the Past, Unspeakable Oath, and a Phantom of Truth.  I also own the Circle Undone but none of its expansions.  

I have wondered about Jenny Barnes and anyone from the Rouge class if they might be useful in a three player campaign.  I have thought about proxying Tony Morgan and his weakness/two guns to see how he would work, but I still have not decided on a investigator yet.

Edited by Tyberius_Deangelo

I think Roland or Mark would round out your team well.  But I also think Skids, Jenny, and Yorick could work as well.  Yorick is a fighter in the Survivor colors and Skids and Jenny can be converted into the fighter role, witch skids being slightly better at it. 

It's luxurious, You can run 2 Guardians or 2 Survivors or 2 Mystics and not have to skimp out on key cards like Lucky, Shrivelling, Beat cop, ETC.

If you really like this game it's a pretty good addition, although if you're a sane person then go look for second hand sets rather then buying them all retail. I got mine by scavenging a defective copy (the encounter sets were in Czechoslovakian) and second hand.

(Also you can check Born to play games to get some key singles, I went and got extra copies of cards like Shortcut, Fight / Flight, Rite of Seekin. They update slowly though, really wanna get extra copies of Circle undone cards).

Edited by tsuruki

I will note that Mark is great, but his big benefit is he draws alot of cards.  This can be a downside in Dunwich potentially. I think Zoey is probably the better pick since she also is blessed with a high Willpower (which is important).  The only issue with Zoey is she usually takes things like Sixth Sense and Rite of Seeking to help with clue gathering.  If you have 4 copies of the core you can do Drawn To The Flames though, which is a nice card for her.  Also maybe Meat Cleaver since it's pretty easy for Zoey to get the full benefit of that weapon, but I don't think you have that card.

Joe and Roland are both fine choices, but will probably overlap with Daisy alot if you are playing with 1 collection.  With 4 cores you'll probably be okay.  If you wanted to pick one over the other I think you need more fighting power on this team so Roland is the better pick.  I'd include some ways to ease his sanity issue (he almost always goes insane for me when things are going bad).  You might want him to have things like Logical Reasoning and/or Smoking Pipe.  I used to use Smoking Pipe alot early in the game's life when I had less options since Guardian had way more ways to heal health or otherwise absorb damage and very few ways to avoid horror.  Roland's testless clue gathering is an extremely powerful option.