Sign in to follow this  
Hiemfire

FFG Live X-Wing Huge Ship Showcase was Sept 5th, link to the YouTube recording in the first post.

6 hours ago, LUZ_TAK said:

I finally watched the whole video last night. Another awesome stream. We got to understand better how wings and huge ships work, but also learn about the thought process and ideas of the developers around the expansion. Again they come up as deeply caring that their game is as good and fun as possible.

It was really interesting to hear how the idea of Wings came from the playtesters! More interesting is that FFG listened, adopted the idea, and streamlined it for release. That is a very cool story to hear and it impressed me that the playtesters were willing to pull back the curtain, give credit, and make it happen for all of us. 

1 hour ago, Bort said:

I have one comment on the wings.

According to what they said (didn't actually show it) but that is what I understood.

The leader moves (including roll/boost) and the rest simply follows and are placed in formation (barring bumps). 

But then each ship in the wing also takes its own action.  So basically barrel roll/boost gives double actions to wingmates.  That doesn't seem right.

I believe your understanding is correct.  There are some definite benefits to being in a wing and this is one of them.  Others include moving and taking actions at the initative of the wing leader.  Drawbacks; harder to avoid obstacles and bumping. Both of which take away actions, so maybe it balances out.

Regarding the wings - while manouevering between obstacles only the leader's template counts? you may squeeze the leader between tight openings and the wingmen follow, not even losing an action?

1 minute ago, rhetor said:

Regarding the wings - while manouevering between obstacles only the leader's template counts? you may squeeze the leader between tight openings and the wingmen follow, not even losing an action?

Only the leader's template counts. However, if the wingmen end up on an obstacle or bumping they take the normal penalties individually.

2 hours ago, Bort said:

I have one comment on the wings.

According to what they said (didn't actually show it) but that is what I understood.

The leader moves (including roll/boost) and the rest simply follows and are placed in formation (barring bumps). 

But then each ship in the wing also takes its own action.  So basically barrel roll/boost gives double actions to wingmates.  That doesn't seem right.

Well, the disadvantage is that the wing leader has no defensive tokens, but fortunately fellow wingmates can suffer damage for them, so they're not completely out of luck. I suspect wing leader cards will have some points value to balance some of the advantages of being in a wing.

33 minutes ago, rhetor said:

That sounds about right. It occurs to me that flying in a wing of 3 will be easier than flying a wing of 6 because you don't have to worry about trailing fighters if you pull fancy maneuvers through tight obstacle lanes.

4 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

Welp, I just went and picked up a Gozanti over lunch. I call it, “getting more value out of my conversion kit.”

Well played, FFG.

I wish I could do that 😂

I’m in a weird place where I could probably mooch off of my friend’s conversion kit if I found models second hand, but since there are only two ship bases/pegs included... that works out less well.

Edit:

@Darth Meanie I will say I'm pumped to get the new Tantive IV and C-ROC anyways. I haven't seen any 1e Huge ships around lately, anyways.

Edited by SpiderMana

On 9/5/2019 at 5:27 PM, Transmogrifier said:

v7rzvTE.jpg

The "Docking Clamps" ship ability just specifies small ships, no restriction on which small ships or having all of the same type

Not cards, I’m talking about the physical model. It won’t hold a TIE Bomber for example. Wondering if they will change it. 

Yeah, I can't see them modifying the sucking docking clamps to physically hold any small ship. Probably just TIEs with ball fuselage and no obstruction near the peg: TIE/ln, TIE/in, TIE/v1, TIE/x1. Probably missing a few there.

EDIT: That was an embarrassing autocorrect. All those sap sucking insects will get to your phone!

Edited by Parakitor

In other news, I ran the trench run scenario last night, and it took 4 hours. Can't wait to try it again with WINGS! Seriously, that mission is perfect for wings. I probably need to make a wider trench to be sure it fits the wing tool. The Turret remote card will also help to standardize things, and will be fun to give the turrets arcs instead of 1.0 omnidirectional fire. I can't wait to start revisiting the scenario and seeing what other members of the community come up with.

22 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

In other news, I ran the trench run scenario last night, and it took 4 hours. Can't wait to try it again with WINGS! Seriously, that mission is perfect for wings. I probably need to make a wider trench to be sure it fits the wing tool. The Turret remote card will also help to standardize things, and will be fun to give the turrets arcs instead of 1.0 omnidirectional fire. I can't wait to start revisiting the scenario and seeing what other members of the community come up with.

Yeah, FFG needs to release the Fixed Emplacements expansion pack.

Turbolaser Towers FTW!!!

Edited by Darth Meanie

31 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

3 per wing?

11 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, FFG needs to release the Fixed Emplacements expansion pack.

Turbolaser Towers FTW!!!

I mean, the card is already in the Epic Battles expansion.

swz57_spread.png

But physical models will look cooler.

1 minute ago, Hiemfire said:

3 per wing?

Definitely. TIEs may be able to do 6 in a wing because that iconic shot in the movie, then some could split off.

11 hours ago, rhetor said:

Is there any summary of news from the stream?

I'm especially interested in release dates, I know they were mentioned, but I don't have the time to watch it again.

Release dates were not explicitly mentioned on stream. They said within the next month or two, so best guess is Nov-early December