Sign in to follow this  
Hiemfire

Precog have you worried?

This has you bugged?

swz48_cards-precog-reflexes.png

Thanks to its timing, "After you reveal your dial", I'd like you to meet your new best friends:

Ion Torpedoes

Card_Upgrade_32.png

Ion MissilesIon Cannon

•Electro-Proton Bomb

340?cb=20180914171658

And Ion Bomb coming soon...

Reason (from the Ion section of the Rules Reference):

Ion

A ship is IONIZED while it has a number of ion tokens relative to its size: at least one for a small ship, at least two for a medium ship, and at least three for a large ship. Ion tokens are red tokens.

During the Planning Phase an ionized ship is not assigned a dial.

During the Activation Phase, an ionized ship that did not have a dial assigned to it during the Planning Phase activates as follows:

The ship skips its Reveal Dial step.

During the Execute Maneuver step, the ionized ship executes the ion maneuver. The ion maneuver is a blue [1 straight ] maneuver. The bearing, difficulty, and speed of this maneuver cannot be changed unless an ability explicitly affects the ion maneuver.

During the Perform Action step, the ship can perform only the <Focus> action.

After the ship finishes this activation, it removes all of its ion tokens.

Additionally:

Some special weapons inflict ion tokens instead of dealing damage.

If a ship becomes ionized after the Planning Phase (and therefore has been assigned a dial) but before it has activated during the Activation Phase, it activates as normal. During the next Planning Phase, if the ship is still ionized, it is not assigned a dial and proceeds with the ion maneuver during the Activation Phase.

Since an ionized ship does not have a dial assigned to it and does not reveal its dial, it cannot resolve any effects that trigger after it reveals its dial.

Have fun all. :D

Edited by Hiemfire
Some reason I forgot Electro-Proton Bomb. And ICT (Thanks RStan)

Same as anything else that triggers "after you reveal your dial", Ion completely shuts Precognitive Reflexes down since you do not assign or reveal a dial when Ionized.
In fact, since you skip the reveal dial step, you completely skip the time window Precog triggers.
Ahem, move along, move along nothing more to see here...

I’m honestly not that worried about precog. It’ll be underpriced at first to sell more copies, then they’ll Jack it up to almost non existence like SNR about the time the card packs arrive so nobody NEEDS it but can get it without buying republic Ywings :) 

But yes I am buying a Ywing to fly. After I see points I may add more.

4 hours ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

Ion is a really underutilized mechanic. If this gets more ion in, that is a good thing. 

I am kind of torn on the subject. I like seeing a little bit of Ion on the table, but too much and it can become an issue. I used to fly Kestal in 1E with a Ion Turret and loved bringing a little bit of control to the table, but I'm wary about it, now.

At its core, X-Wing is a game about setting maneuvers and predicting your opponent, or at least, I think that is what most of us would like it to be. Ion effectively removes the ability to set your maneuvers and attempt to out-fly your opponent.  I think we got back to that core concept with 2E. 2E did a good job with removing 360 turrets, but the re-introduction of the Ion Bomb to the game along with Traj Sim could be worrisome.

In small doses, its can bring an interesting concept of control to the table. Too much though, you end up with only one person at the table actually playing X-Wing. 

6 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I’m honestly not that worried about precog. It’ll be underpriced at first to sell more copies, then they’ll Jack it up to almost non existence like SNR about the time the card packs arrive so nobody NEEDS it but can get it without buying republic Ywings :) 

Since it basically lets you boost or roll but unlike Fine-Tuned Controls or Supernatural Reflexes it can't be linked into anything and you don't get your normal action, I'm not that worried at all, especially since anyone with it is probably not going to have crew or elite talent slots - generally the best way to get dice modifiers.

It should be cheap because it's not that great. I can see it being worth it on anakin in a Y-wing, because it has no native white reposition and he has a huge force pool, and it might not be bad on luke for the same reason. I struggle to see it really being that great on others.

Precog is a decent card, but not a massively dangerous one. No double repo, no lock, no focus, at most two force left for attack and defense, and if any dice at all are modded, that pilot is pretty deflated force wise next turn. It's Advanced Sensors with an activation cost, that only lets you reposition, but also can give the T-70 and x1 an action they don't normally have (again, at a cost).

6 hours ago, Okapi said:

It's Advanced Sensors with an activation cost, that only lets you reposition, but also can give the T-70 and x1 an action they don't normally have (again, at a cost).

The T-70 has a force user?

16 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Exactly. If I can ion a ship I can also kill it. That’s the problem.

Well, maybe.  I feel like it isn't too hard to get *one* attack on a highly-mobile arc dodger.  Getting enough attacks to kill them in a reasonable length of time is a lot harder.  As such, Ion can turn a one-attack opportunity into a many-attacks opportunity.

An ace can often be fine for the rest of the game after taking a single 2-hit attack.  Taking 1 damage and an Ion token is probably harder to recover from.

19 hours ago, RogueLeader154 said:

The T-70 has a force user?

T-65, sorry. Luke is probably the pilot that'll get the most out of this card, as he gets to boost without closing his foils, and often recharge his force tokens before shooting.

10 hours ago, Okapi said:

T-65, sorry. Luke is probably the pilot that'll get the most out of this card, as he gets to boost without closing his foils, and often recharge his force tokens before shooting.

I would think so. His big skill in having masses of force tokens but doesn't - unlike vader or delta-7 jedi - have masses of actions or any special ways to spend force.

If hard counters aren't your cup of tea, the other "good" thing about Precog is that it completely prevents double reposition unless coordinate is also involved somehow (and in that case you kill the coordinator first), so the counterplay options are greater. Many pilots, when paired with Supernatural, can go pretty much wherever they want and get the heck out of dodge 90% of the time. Killboxes for stuff with Precog, though difficult, are going to be a little easier to build. 

7 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

If hard counters aren't your cup of tea, the other "good" thing about Precog is that it completely prevents double reposition unless coordinate is also involved somehow (and in that case you kill the coordinator first), so the counterplay options are greater. Many pilots, when paired with Supernatural, can go pretty much wherever they want and get the heck out of dodge 90% of the time. Killboxes for stuff with Precog, though difficult, are going to be a little easier to build. 

Definitely another and more generally applicable option. :D