Sign in to follow this  
Schanez

Linked Actions inquiry

Hey there, fellow X-Wing Fliers!

I have this hopefully simple question, regarding when a ship can perform a Linked Action. I am a new player, so perhaps this is the source of my confusion. But as far as I know, a ship can perform a Linked Action, when they perform the first action and then perform the linked action right afterwards.

Where my confusion starts is... Examples perhaps. If a friendly Ship performs Coordinate on Darth Vader and he uses it to perform a Focus Action, can he then perform the linked red Barrel Roll? Another example that confuses me, is when a pilot card calls out a specific action granted to nearby ships, like pilot Jake Farrell in A-Wing. The card text says "That ship may perform a Focus Action.", but can that ship use the Focus Action to link into another action as per the target ship's pilot card?

I am mostly asking, because I am tinkering with the B-Wings and A-Wings and was curious, if when flying the A-Wing with Jake Farrell and granting a Focus to the B-Wings, can they also perform the red Barrell Roll or not?

2 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Whenever you perform the lefthand side action, regardless of the source, you can link to it assuming you're not otherwise prevented from doing so (e.g. wounded pilot, damaged sensor array).

So... If a B-Wing performed a Red Manouver and is now Stressed, she can only perform the Focus Action, but not the Red Barrel Roll, due to it being red?

Another question about Linked Actions.

If a Ship like Tie/Adv X1 has a White Focus > Red Barrel Roll and the Expert Handling tallent equiped, does the linked Barrel Roll become White?

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Schanez said:

If a Ship like Tie/Adv X1 has a White Focus > Red Barrel Roll and the Expert Handling tallent equiped, does the linked Barrel Roll become White?

A ship has to have the Red Barrel Roll action on its action bar per the rules ref (page 19, Upgrade Cards, Actions bullet point) to meet the requirement to equip Expert Handling.

Expert HandlingStorm Squadron Ace

"Upgrade Cards

When building a squad, a player can field upgrades for their ships by paying their associated squad point cost. When building a squad using the Squad Builder, each ship will have a squad point cost and an upgrade bar that shows how many and which types of upgrades that ship can equip. If there is a or available for the ship, it will list that here as well. Upgrades also have their own squad point cost.

Some upgrade cards have one or more of the following rules in their restrictions box:

Rebel/Imperial/Scum: This upgrade can be equipped only to a ship of the specified faction.

Small/Medium/Large/Huge ship: This upgrade can be equipped only to a ship of the specified size.

Ship-type: If there is a type of ship listed, this upgrade can be equipped only to a ship of the specified type.

Action: If there is an action icon, this upgrade can be equipped only to a ship with that action on its action bar. This does not include actions on its linked action bar.

A ship cannot equip more than one copy of the same card.

A squad's cards are restricted by the rules of limited and solitary cards."

That being said, if equip requirements are met then the linked to action would be affected (as in Sabine Assault Shuttle with Debris Gambit).

Edit: Just in case you haven't downloaded the rules reference yet, this is the link to the current one as of Aug 30 2019: https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/48/4d/484d07ae-6bdf-4e42-89af-180f728ad059/swzrulesreference_v104-compressedv2.pdf

You can find the most recent rules pdfs in the Rules section and the Tournament Resources (if tournaments interest you) section of the Second Edition main page (scroll down to the Support portion of the page): https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/x-wing-second-edition/

Edited by Hiemfire

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Schanez said:

No. Even if it was possible for linked actions to count as the requirement (which Hiemfire pointed out that it does not) Cards like Expert handling, Engine Upgrade and Tactical Officer dont *change* the red action into a white, it *ADDS* that white action. So the linked barrel roll would still be red, you would just have a white barrel roll in addition to it (which of course, the ship already has). 

See Rules Reference pg 3 under Actions

Some upgrade cards have an action bar that lists one or more actions. These actions are added to the ship’s action bar and therefore are standard actions that the ship can perform.

Edited by Lyianx

12 minutes ago, Lyianx said:

Cards like Expert handling, Engine Upgrade and Tactical Officer dont *change* the red action into a white, it *ADDS* that white action.

Oops... Misremembered that part. Thanks for the catch. :) 

Newbie here as well. 

I am a huge B-Wing fan, but I am a bit confused by the B-Wings linked action; white focus to red barrel roll. 

1) do I have to take the barrel roll? 

2) if I take the focus and then the linked red barrel roll, do I keep the focus token from the focus portion of the linked action? This would give someone like Brayden Strahm with a focus AND a stress token. 

Thanks for for any clarification.

9 minutes ago, Texasmagpie said:

Newbie here as well. 

I am a huge B-Wing fan, but I am a bit confused by the B-Wings linked action; white focus to red barrel roll. 

1) do I have to take the barrel roll? 

2) if I take the focus and then the linked red barrel roll, do I keep the focus token from the focus portion of the linked action? This would give someone like Brayden Strahm with a focus AND a stress token. 

Thanks for for any clarification.

1. no, you can just focus and not do the barrel roll. the linked barrel roll is optional.

2. yes, you've already performed the focus action, so the token is on the ship as it attempts to barrel roll. since the linked barrel roll action is red, you gain a stress token. this leaves braylen with a focus and a stress.