Sign in to follow this  
tsuruki

Hype for hotel!

With all the different possible outcomes, I would be surprised if there weren’t. I’m curious to know if this scenario plays it as spell based, time travel based, apparitions, or or what is really going on. So perfect if it is a Halloween timed release. 

The teaser article has "The murder weapon" a funky knife. It has several abilities but the only visible parts put it at 1 cost and the topmost ability seems to be a 1 damage attack with +2 combat

11 hours ago, tsuruki said:

The teaser article has "The murder weapon" a funky knife. It has several abilities but the only visible parts put it at 1 cost and the topmost ability seems to be a 1 damage attack with +2 combat

It does look interesting and costs only 1 to play. Better than Machete?  But it also says Cursed(?)

Could there be  possible card effects that can cause problems for an investigator who starts to use it? Or maybe it is the only weapon that can damage certain enemies. 

On 8/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, Mimi61 said:

With all the different possible outcomes, I would be surprised if there weren’t. I’m curious to know if this scenario plays it as spell based, time travel based, apparitions, or or what is really going on. So perfect if it is a Halloween timed release. 

It's entirely possible exactly what "happened" may be very different in each ending based on the leads you end up pursuing, so it may cover all of those. :)   This is my best current theory as it would give the scenario a lot more playability as opposed to a situation where what happened is the same thing all the time, just different outcomes to the investigation.

Calling it now: You end up picking a random final Act card from among:

• The lead investigator is the killer
  • The butler is the killer
  • Nyarlathotep is the killer
  • One of those monsters you've been fighting is the killer
  • Matt Newman is the killer
  • It was a suicide
  • It was an accident
  • You, the person reading this card, are the killer
  • The whole thing was actually just one of those murder mystery dinner parties; that guy's perfectly fine

9 hours ago, rsdockery said:

Calling it now: You end up picking a random final Act card from among:

• The lead investigator is the killer
  • The butler is the killer
  • Nyarlathotep is the killer
  • One of those monsters you've been fighting is the killer
  • Matt Newman is the killer
  • It was a suicide
  • It was an accident
  • You, the person reading this card, are the killer
  • The whole thing was actually just one of those murder mystery dinner parties; that guy's perfectly fine

I think you may have left one off the list of suspects. The Blob who ate Everything swallowed the hotel and his digestive juices are incurring hallucinations. 

But let’s go with Matt. 

Edited by Mimi61

I just hope that this one has more than one reward card again. My group was really disappointed after Rougarou and Abyss, when only one person got something for it. Let's hope they do it like in Carnevale. 

Edited by Eldan985

5 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

I just hope that this one has more than one reward card again. My group was really disappointed after Rougarou and Abyss, when only one person got something for it. Let's hope they do it like in Carnevale. 

Eh. Be glad for the xp and less deck clutter. The carnivale rewards can be nice but a couple kinda just dud a better draw. 

1 minute ago, tsuruki said:

Eh. Be glad for the xp and less deck clutter. The carnivale rewards can be nice but a couple kinda just dud a better draw. 

Agreed. The EXP is the real reward - Rougarou is an easy 2-3 exp profit, and a perfect Abyss run gets you a profit of 8 exp.

11 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Yeah, but they are much less interesting than some custom cards to remind you of what happened.

One of the Abyss cards will come in handy in the Dreamlands is my guess! 

Maybe there are different reward cards depending on which resolution is reached. With multiple outcomes, it seems possible. 

On 9/12/2019 at 7:44 AM, Allonym said:

Agreed. The EXP is the real reward - Rougarou is an easy 2-3 exp profit, and a perfect Abyss run gets you a profit of 8 exp.

Unless you are Calvin or Preston running through Rougarou.  For those guys the real reward is an OP new talent.

On 9/12/2019 at 1:47 PM, Mimi61 said:

One of the Abyss cards will come in handy in the Dreamlands is my guess! 

Maybe there are different reward cards depending on which resolution is reached. With multiple outcomes, it seems possible. 

Certainly the card I'm thinking of would be extremely thematic for a Dreamquest themed scenario.

Edited by phillos

3 hours ago, phillos said:

Unless you are Calvin or Preston running through Rougarou.  For those guys the real reward is an OP new talent.

Certainly the card I'm thinking of would be extremely thematic for a Dreamquest themed scenario.

Or unless you are me and cannot beat the scenario at all. Usually you will need to have a guardian at least (we don't always), and be far enough into the campaign to have gotten a fair amount of experience... but little trauma.

I'm actually wondering if Dream-Eaters might be the perfect campaign to slot in some of these side-stories as you can earn a good deal of xp at little risk in scenario 1 (possibly even more by the end of 2). I know that I got

13xp

in both scenarios in the deluxe box (we're playing on easy though).

Edited by Soakman

We got about the same as Soakman in the first two. I think that Abyss is a great side scenario for Dream-Eaters, thematically and otherwise. We tackled it with pretty beefy investigators after Carcosa the first time we played it and survived. 

Edited by Mimi61

On 10/12/2019 at 12:38 AM, Villefere said:

Picked up Hotel tonight at Arkham Nights!

Can’t wait. Dreamers ran Carnavale to some success (boy is Luke unfair here). Waking investigators may attempt to solve the murder, if Norman’s narcoleptic self can be bothered lol.