Sign in to follow this  
Rokian

two different c3p0 (rebel vs republic )

Creating this topic for only one reason: Why R2-D2 from the republic can take c3p0 and Leebo from rebellion can´t? Both have almost the same abilities !  Leebo doens´  t see any gameplay and this happens to all pilots from yt2400. Leebo should receive his crew upgrade back.

Just now, Rokian said:

Creating this topic for only one reason: Why R2-D2 from the republic can take c3p0 and Leebo from rebellion can´t? Both have almost the same abilities !  Leebo doens´  t see any gameplay and this happens to all pilots from yt2400. Leebo should receive his crew upgrade back.

This isn't a rules question, and presumably the reason is because Leebo's ability with Rebel C-3PO is broken as heck.

5 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

This isn't a rules question, and presumably the reason is because Leebo's ability with Rebel C-3PO is broken as heck.

Oh yeah, it was smashing everything. Oh wait..

6 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Yeah, I wouldn't call it broken as heck... it was a potent combo, but it wasn't seeing any significant play at high levels.  I think FFG just wanted to close it off before someone found a way to really abuse it.

Just now, emeraldbeacon said:

Yeah, I wouldn't call it broken as heck... it was a potent combo, but it wasn't seeing any significant play at high levels.  I think FFG just wanted to close it off before someone found a way to really abuse it.

Pretty much this.

It can be broken (rules term) well before it's broken (overpowered).

Functionally infinite tokens is pretty broken.

2 minutes ago, thespaceinvader said:

Pretty much this.

It can be broken (rules term) well before it's broken (overpowered).

Functionally infinite tokens is pretty broken.

It's not the functionally infinite token part (Leebo still has that, anyway), it's the "Threepio on every single defense roll" that was a bit scary.  Mathematically, you'd be getting 2 evades EVERY TIME YOU DEFEND (either by guessing 1 correctly, or rolling 2 natural defense) about 61% of the time (assuming no Wedge-like shenanigans).  It's still a hefty price to invest (96 points for just the 2 cards!) in only one ship with one really big gun, that can be largely neutered with sound blocking strategies.

latest?cb=20180914003230Card_Upgrade_80.png

Another thing worth mentioning: the instant Leebo lost his crew slot, C-3PO and Leebo both dropped fairly dramatically in points costs.  Leebo went from 98 to 88, and C-3PO from 12 to 8.  They'd initially been priced presuming that you'd be running both together, and without that combo, FFG dropped the points.

Meanwhile, C-3PO is one of two cards which really makes me wish there was a small list of banned ship/upgrade combinations.  Leebo ought to be able to run a crew, but just banning C-3PO prevents the combo without banning every other crew.  Likewise, Han Solo and the Rebel YT-1300 should get their Illicit slot back, but have Inertial Dampeners banned.  It'd be nice if Han could take an action to drop a cargo token, but alas...

As to the YT-2400 in general... the ship is kind of too scary to be good.  4-dice turret is a little bit terrifying in the abstract sense.  I can't really blame FFG for making sure it isn't super common.

7 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

As to the YT-2400 in general... the ship is kind of too scary to be good.  4-dice turret is a little bit terrifying in the abstract sense.  I can't really blame FFG for making sure it isn't super common.

I wouldn't say it's too scary to be good, but it's too scary for them to just drop a bunch of points off it and see what happens like they did with Leia crew. When Leia got pushed too far we just had six months of annoying, but more-or-less manageable Rebel beef. If they push the 2400 too hard we'd end up stuck in a six-month long nightmare of 4-attack turrets.

It'll get there eventually, but I imagine FFG will take their sweet time tweaking it slightly each update until it settles into a good spot.

Edited by DR4CO

21 hours ago, emeraldbeacon said:

I think it's also worth noting that between low initiative and limited repositioning Leebo+3PO was hard to kill, but wouldn't steamroll everything before return fire. What really took it to the edge was the Roark+Han Gunner combo that meant you could lay in 8 dice on a single target at i7 to kill the most important thing in that direction. Leebo was out alpha-ing the benchmark alpha strike lists at the dawn of 2e which were 3xi5 proton torpedoes, but (in my experience) it struggled to pin down aces and could be outflown by a swarm blocking to take away calculate.

Without Roark+Han double tap I don't believe Leebo+3PO is disproportionately powerful on attack and is only annoying to kill, not impossible to focus down. But we'll never really know since he got nerfed both ways at the same time :(

Edited by nitrobenz
Conclusion