Sign in to follow this  
Samuel Richard

How much Encumbrance is a Starfighter

So some pirate PCs in a pirate game are trying to expand their starfighter forces and have taken upon themselves to raid a convoy carrying a squadron of T-wings. How much would say a Action IV transport hold? Could it hold any of them at all? How much encumbrance is a sil 3 starfighter? 

But that said, an Action IV is a VERY big ship and should be able to carry several Sil 3 ships in it's vast holds.  Provided there's a door large enough to fly one through and provided there's sufficient internal decking to stage them in.  So yeah.  You'll need to convert it into a hanger (unless you are carrying a dismantled craft that is containerized).

Hopefully someone with more patience with math will be able to cobble together a guestimate for you.

Unfortunately, they don't rate vehicles in that manner, but an estimate of 400 to 600 Encumbrance for a Sil 3 Fighter wouldn't be unreasonable as a house rule. The smaller the number, the more cramped it would be (affecting the ability to launch and recover the fighter). Maybe 700 Encumbrance to leave plenty of room.

Posted (edited)

Otherwise there can be Setbacks and/or Upgrades to Piloting checks to take off or land...

Edit: The more I think about it, the more that I feel 700 Enc. is the right amount to deduct for a Sil 3 Fighter. This gives extra room for launch and recovery.

Edited by salamar_dree

1 hour ago, salamar_dree said:

Otherwise there can be Setbacks and/or Upgrades to Piloting checks to take off or land...

Edit: The more I think about it, the more that I feel 700 Enc. is the right amount to deduct for a Sil 3 Fighter. This gives extra room for launch and recovery.

Its more for just storage

1) Honestly, just pick a number of fighters that feels good. This system isn't really intended to get into that level of detail, as the number of vehicles that can be carried as cargo is more narrative than crunch anyway.

2) If the ship is moving the fighters as cargo, they might not be rigged for flight. Again, subject to your narrative and story, but it's 100% possible the players might run down the hold like kids on Christmas Life Day morning, only to find the engines removed, fluids and power cells drained, and everything covered in shrink wrap. By extension if you are packing them this way, the fighters will have a significantly lower encumbrance than if they are rigged to fly. 

Posted (edited)

(Armor+Hull Trauma) * silhouette * 4 is the equation I use.

Makes a TIE Fighter 96 encumbrance which still maxes out most silhouette 4 freighters, which is great, because you need a sil 5+ ship to have the hangar bay attachment anyway.

Note that if you have a hangar bay I would ignore encumbrance of the ships that can be docked using the hangar bay.

Edited by GroggyGolem

7 hours ago, GroggyGolem said:

Makes a TIE Fighter 96 encumbrance which still maxes out most silhouette 4 freighters, which is great, because you need a sil 5+ ship to have the hangar bay attachment anyway.

So 10 or 11 Wookiees could carry a TIE and be unencumbered?  I like it :P

6 minutes ago, Andreievitch said:

So 10 or 11 Wookiees could carry a TIE and be unencumbered?  I like it :P

I mean, base stat wookiee is 3 brawn, so 11 of them would only get you to 88 encumbrance if they weren't carrying anything else at all and they'd all be at their max encumbrance and it still wouldn't be enough for the TIE.

Posted (edited)

Using the nubian design collective whole vehicle crafting handbook 

A sil 5 transport with a bulk freighter hull (i.e an action iv) could get 2 dedicated cargo bays for 2 hp which would provide 2050 enc, for the same 2 hp it could get 1 dedicated hanger bay that can carry ships totaling sil 25.  2050 enc/25 sil=82 enc/sil * 3 sil is 246 enc for a sil 3 fighter (this is an action iv specific number)

An action iv is superbly efficient at carrying cargo and only moderately efficient at carrying other vehicles.

Edited by EliasWindrider

@EliasWindrider

I actually used the NDC to get my numbers, but as the Action wasn't built as a carrier, I used the Retrofitted Hangar Attachment from the CRB's (which when fully modded can only carry 3 × Sil 3 ships).

That's 683 (I went with 700 because when in doubt, round up).

But that is allowing the ship to launch and recover.

Just carried with the cargo I went with 400-500. Not to represent their actual Encumbrance so much as how much cargo space they need. Most of this is probably wasted vertical volume (as big ships tend to have tall cargo holds).

😁

13 hours ago, salamar_dree said:

@EliasWindrider

I actually used the NDC to get my numbers, but as the Action wasn't built as a carrier, I used the Retrofitted Hangar Attachment from the CRB's (which when fully modded can only carry 3 × Sil 3 ships).

That's 683 (I went with 700 because when in doubt, round up).

But that is allowing the ship to launch and recover.

Just carried with the cargo I went with 400-500. Not to represent their actual Encumbrance so much as how much cargo space they need. Most of this is probably wasted vertical volume (as big ships tend to have tall cargo holds).

😁

I think used the dedicated hanger and dropped the ability to launch.  The ability to launch seems like it would use a lot of vertical space to me.

Posted (edited)

As pure cargo? In Vision of the Future an Action II, which isn't detailed much but small enough to be piloted by a single person implying it's much smaller than its successors, can hold 12 TIE Interceptors (and may be physically capable of more). I presume the much larger  IV can hold more than that.

Edited by NanashiAnon

On 8/28/2019 at 6:22 PM, Ghostofman said:

1) Honestly, just pick a number of fighters that feels good. This system isn't really intended to get into that level of detail, as the number of vehicles that can be carried as cargo is more narrative than crunch anyway.

2) If the ship is moving the fighters as cargo, they might not be rigged for flight. Again, subject to your narrative and story, but it's 100% possible the players might run down the hold like kids on Christmas Life Day morning, only to find the engines removed, fluids and power cells drained, and everything covered in shrink wrap. By extension if you are packing them this way, the fighters will have a significantly lower encumbrance than if they are rigged to fly. 

For reference, this is how Spitfires were transported back in the day...