Stinchy

UNDER RATED Rogue one

20 minutes ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

Honestly I think that would swing to far in the opposite direction. It could use a little more han. Maybe a psuedo protagonist and Han takes over a third of the way through?

Like Beckett?

14 hours ago, Snipafist said:

Coming to the Armada forum and saying you think a Star Wars movie filmed like a war movie with an epic space battle was underrated is just begging for upvotes. You're not going to find a lot of disagreement here.

You know what I think was underrated? The Battle of Endor. And the Battle of Hoth. And the first attack on the Death Star. Totally underrated. Who's with me?

Lies and slander. Prequel trilogy is the only true Star Wars. I know I love rewatching (checks notes) Jamjar Binks and Jimmy Smits and Ewan McGregor and that Natalie Portman rap from SNL. That's what those ovies were about right?

3 hours ago, geek19 said:

Lies and slander. Prequel trilogy is the only true Star Wars. I know I love rewatching (checks notes) Jamjar Binks and Jimmy Smits and Ewan McGregor and that Natalie Portman rap from SNL. That's what those ovies were about right?

Jeez. Get it right. 

Episode One is where Oskar Schindler plays Jesus and loses a fight to Snake Eyes.

Episode 2 is where Padawan Fallout Boy makes the Camerlengo exasperated as he pines after Jane Foster so hard she starts dressing as the black swan. 

I really liked Rogue One, but for me it raised Tarkin problems in ANH.

Tarkin knows there is a weakness built into the Death Star. He knows the Rebels have the plans and have had time to analyse them. Yet he refuses to evacuate in the moment of triumph. Destroying the Rebel base won’t stop the fighters shooting torpedoes at the exhaust port...

1 hour ago, LTD said:

I really liked Rogue One, but for me it raised Tarkin problems in ANH.

Tarkin knows there is a weakness built into the Death Star. He knows the Rebels have the plans and have had time to analyse them. Yet he refuses to evacuate in the moment of triumph. Destroying the Rebel base won’t stop the fighters shooting torpedoes at the exhaust port...

Arrogance.

He knows there is *some* issue, but I don’t think he’s aware specifically just how fatal the flaw is - or even directly what it is -  he certainly doesn’t care.  I mean, the impression is that not even Krennic- the Engineer - knows exactly how or what the flaw is, only one exists and he’s pull the DS offline until he found it.

Tarkins too arrogant for that.  The whole Tarkin doctrine is arrogance put to military tactics.

20 hours ago, Church14 said:

I find it overrated. 

-Unlikable main cast cast filled with characters who act like caricatures of emo kids (IM SAD AND BITTER BECAUSE LIFE IS HARD!!!) but LOOK extremely like a Star Wars cast should. Seriously, try to describe Jyn Erso without describing her looks or job. She’s a person with hair. 

-Stormtroopers went from kind of incompetent to Call of Duty campaign enemies set on easy. Seriously. They are so embarrassingly incompetent that it detracts from the achievements of the main cast. 

-This means fight scenes where an assassin, a half trained terrorist, a blind Jedi without a lightsaber, and a weaboo wish fulfillment character massacre the Imperial shock troops. 

- once again the lesson in a Star Wars movie is that it doesn’t matter what you accomplish, but that you were born to an important family. Jyn Erso wouldn’t have gotten the time of day from the rebellion if not for daddy issues.

- The best parts of the movie involve NONE OF THE MAIN CAST. Raddus, Vader, the entire space fight didn’t involve any characters with real screen time or development. I’d bet good money that the most watch clips on YouTube don’t involve the main characters  

-The visuals on the other hand were all top notch and deserve praise. The attention to detail was impressive

Jyn Erso - a rebellious and pessimistic criminal who has been on the run from the empire her entire life. Trained to be a fighter by an extremist, but who still maintains her humanity. Throughout the film finally comes around and believes in a cause enough to die for it. There, I did it.

4 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Arrogance.

He knows there is *some* issue, but I don’t think he’s aware specifically just how fatal the flaw is - or even directly what it is -  he certainly doesn’t care.  I mean, the impression is that not even Krennic- the Engineer - knows exactly how or what the flaw is, only one exists and he’s pull the DS offline until he found it.

Tarkins too arrogant for that.  The whole Tarkin doctrine is arrogance put to military tactics.

If he knows there is * some * issue why does he destroy the base where the records are kept? If it's that urgent that the base be destroyed, surely he knows it's a big problem?

And why does the planetary shield not protect the base from the death star laser? It's only being fired on "one" reactor...

And why, when they are worried about the plans being transmitted off the planet to the ship in orbit, don't they shoot the big ship in orbit with the death star laser?

So many questions!

But yes, Rogue One is a great movie, and superior to any of the other not OT stuff (in my opinions).

I have other questions about ANH as well -

Why does Princess Leia take the death star plans to Tatooine after fleeing Scarif? How does the Empire track the Tantive IV to Tatooine? Why don't they make a copy of the plans while at light speed and send a copy off in a shuttle or X-Wing or something? Is Leia pronounced Lay-a or Lee-a? Both are used in the movie (also Carrie).

Why, when Leia is convinced the Imperials are tracking the Millennium Falcon, do they fly directly to the Rebel Base at Yavin? Why not fly to another system and jump into another ship? Or send a copy of the plans elsewhere?

Ok, back to work!

17 minutes ago, LTD said:

If he knows there is * some * issue why does he destroy the base where the records are kept? If it's that urgent that the base be destroyed, surely he knows it's a big problem?

And why does the planetary shield not protect the base from the death star laser? It's only being fired on "one" reactor...

And why, when they are worried about the plans being transmitted off the planet to the ship in orbit, don't they shoot the big ship in orbit with the death star laser?

So many questions!

But yes, Rogue One is a great movie, and superior to any of the other not OT stuff (in my opinions).

I have other questions about ANH as well -

Why does Princess Leia take the death star plans to Tatooine after fleeing Scarif? How does the Empire track the Tantive IV to Tatooine? Why don't they make a copy of the plans while at light speed and send a copy off in a shuttle or X-Wing or something? Is Leia pronounced Lay-a or Lee-a? Both are used in the movie (also Carrie).

Why, when Leia is convinced the Imperials are tracking the Millennium Falcon, do they fly directly to the Rebel Base at Yavin? Why not fly to another system and jump into another ship? Or send a copy of the plans elsewhere?

Ok, back to work!

Coz, plot

Sorry, I know I'm being unhelpful ;):D

Posted (edited)

@LTD

Most of this is explained 🙂

1) The shield is down.

2) He knows there are copies elsewhere, but here and now, is attempting to destroy them and are eradicating the failure Krennic and the Rebels st the same time.  It’s arrogant cover up. There’s a problem, but if he can deal with it now, NO ONE (especially not the Emperor) WILL KNOW.

The stark contrast between he and Krennic is, basically, Krennic would have made a fuss and delayed it further. Tarkin believes that winning NOW is much more important.

3) “Darth Vader will take care of the Fleet.”

The emperor and Vader are literally the only two people in the galaxy that Tarkin respects as somewhat equals or betters.  “Only one to which he bows”.  So Arrogantly, he’s not second questioning Vader’s ability to “deal with the fleet.”

Edited by Drasnighta

Enjoyed R1 thoroughly with one caveat. I don't think George L would have killed off Jyn and Cassian. After all this pair went through and then they allow the Death Star to take them seems a bit of a stretch. (And it wasn't good for the young fans.)

Just by having them reach any servicible ship, takeoff, then with a navicomputer damaged in the ongoing space battle, engage hyperdrive to ?? Their absences in episodes IV,V,VI could be accounted for.

Now, if only FFG would give us the Dornean gunship flotilla and a Rogue One fighter pack.

On 8/28/2019 at 5:23 AM, Church14 said:

I find it overrated. 

-Stormtroopers went from kind of incompetent to Call of Duty campaign enemies set on easy. Seriously. They are so embarrassingly incompetent that it detracts from the achievements of the main cast. 

This is just too funny.

Same guys got creamed by Ewoks :D

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

@LTD

Most of this is explained 🙂

1) The shield is down.

2) He knows there are copies elsewhere, but here and now, is attempting to destroy them and are eradicating the failure Krennic and the Rebels st the same time.  It’s arrogant cover up. There’s a problem, but if he can deal with it now, NO ONE (especially not the Emperor) WILL KNOW.

The stark contrast between he and Krennic is, basically, Krennic would have made a fuss and delayed it further. Tarkin believes that winning NOW is much more important.

3) “Darth Vader will take care of the Fleet.”

The emperor and Vader are literally the only two people in the galaxy that Tarkin respects as somewhat equals or betters.  “Only one to which he bows”.  So Arrogantly, he’s not second questioning Vader’s ability to “deal with the fleet.”

To tack onto your explanation, especially point #3, to return to the earlier question of why Tarkin doesn't flee the Deathstar before Luke blows it up.

It his arrogant faith in the power of the Empire and Vader as a pilot, above some possibility that a random Rebel pilot can possibly hit the exhaust port while being chased by Vader himself, especially while the Rebel squadrons have been slowly whittled down to just three snub fighters by the end (and not knowing Han was coming back), that Tarkin felt an evacuation in their moment of triumph was unnecessary. 

2 hours ago, Green Knight said:

This is just too funny.

Same guys got creamed by Ewoks :D

In fact, the guys who got creamed by Ewoks were the dreaded 501st legion - Palpatine’s “finest troops.”

Not to be confused with Jedha’s backwater garrison, or Scarif’s detachment placed under soft, lazy commanding officers.

On 8/27/2019 at 11:23 PM, Church14 said:

I find it overrated. 

-Unlikable main cast cast filled with characters who act like caricatures of emo kids (IM SAD AND BITTER BECAUSE LIFE IS HARD!!!) but LOOK extremely like a Star Wars cast should. Seriously, try to describe Jyn Erso without describing her looks or job. She’s a person with hair. 

-This means fight scenes where an assassin, a half trained terrorist, a blind Jedi without a lightsaber, and a weaboo wish fulfillment character massacre the Imperial shock troops. 

- once again the lesson in a Star Wars movie is that it doesn’t matter what you accomplish, but that you were born to an important family. Jyn Erso wouldn’t have gotten the time of day from the rebellion if not for daddy issues.

- The best parts of the movie involve NONE OF THE MAIN CAST. Raddus, Vader, the entire space fight didn’t involve any characters with real screen time or development. I’d bet good money that the most watch clips on YouTube don’t involve the main characters  

-The visuals on the other hand were all top notch and deserve praise. The attention to detail was impressive

I really enjoyed Rogue One, and I'm pretty sure it's one of my Top 3 Star Wars films, but all of this is spot-on.  What makes the film great is the Battle of Scariff, especially the space battle.  Even that is iffy at best, with it's physics-defining and logic-defying Ram-Smash maneuver where Star Destroyer #1 cuts through Star Destroyer #2 like a hot lightsaber cuts through Bloo Milk Butter.  Can't get over the jarring non-physics of that whole scene, and I have a pretty high tolerance for "Star Wars" rule of cool trumping physics.

The movie leading up to that is full of non-characters who quickly and pointlessly progress across scenes. Most of the main cast aren't even Rebels and have nothing to do with the Rebellion, but just happen to be a bunch of strangers who met each other in the final 6 hours of the movie's timeline and just happened to do everything despite the generally "evil" (Saw, General Craven) or "incompetent" (the entire Alliance Council besides Raddus) Rebels.  It would have been a better film, I think, had GUNLORD and BLIND-STICKLORD been operatives and long-time compatriots of Cassian or something, like his trusted Brothers in Arms, rather than literal strangers they just happened to be bump into a couple hours ago.  This undercuts the plausibility of the film and makes any attempt at emotional weight between the main cast hopeless. 

Great effects, visually-pleasing battle, hollow plot and non-characters... which to be fair makes it the most true-to-the-source-material Star Wars film yet, and at least puts it leagues ahead of the other Disney Films.

I liked Rogue One. Maybe it wasn't on Stanley Kubrick levels of genius but is was good for a StarWars movie nonetheless. I liked how they were brave enough to let the main characters die. Worst part for me was the unbelievable space scene where the hammerhead pushes a disabled ISD (because apparently a handful of Y-wings can completely disable an ISD with ease) into a second ISD, which is then decapitated. Because it makes sense that ship A pushes ship B but ship B doesn't push ship C but instead shears it in two.

Also the incompetent imperial military at every level.

I think ppl have preconceived notions of the imperials being incompetent. The troopers were going toe toe toe with saw’s insurgents despite being ambushed.  The imperial garrison on edu shot down several of the rebel strike craft.  The imperial garrison on scarrif steadily isolated, pushed back, and neutralized the rebel strike teams. The tie pilots eliminated blue squadron on the surface. An unprepared imperial fleet rallied and held its ground, maintained an effective defensive posture protecting the shield gate (their main objective) all while wearing down the rebel fleet. Raddus’s Flagship was on its last legs. Tarkin ruthlessly (and very nearly successfully) used the Death Star to eliminate leaks, and Vader kicked *** at the helm of an isd and in person.  Leia’s ship had been identified and wasn’t going to get away. Aaaand then a new hope happened. 

On 8/28/2019 at 1:37 AM, Stinchy said:

To this day I think rogue one is underrated. 

I think it has not only brought armada back.... hammerheads .... raddus... mc75...  but injected Star Wars into the people. 

also it is a great movie.. 

i find very little flaws in it, and I hope the rise of the sky walker can learn from it. 

underrated? I know not one person who doesnt like / love that movie. VII and VIII, on the other hand, ...., nah, lets not go there. Rogue 1 is beloved.

On 8/27/2019 at 7:47 PM, Atromix said:

Oh definitely, by far my favorite of the Disney Star Wars. Also think Solo deserves more love. It's a heist film set in the Star Wars Galaxy, what's not to love?

Eh, I guess heist films just aren't for me.  (Honestly, until Solo, I didn't even know "heist film" was a thing.)  It wasn't terrible, but it's not one I'd go out of my way to watch again.  Give me epic space battles between Good and Evil any day.

On 8/28/2019 at 9:02 AM, Rune Taq said:

But as the first few minutes played out I found my self seeing Han and not an actor trying to be Harrison Ford. I thought the actor actually did a good job playing Han.

Really?  The guy who played Lando had me believing he was the same character.  The guy playing Han just didn't seem to fit at all, and I could only start enjoying the movie once I forced myself to forget that he was supposed to be Han and just viewed him as some original character.

19 hours ago, LTD said:

One of how many?  A full blast can destroy an entire planet, after all.

19 hours ago, LTD said:

The thing's made for busting planets.  I don't think it was until the second one that they improved the targeting enough to accurately hit moving ships.

19 hours ago, LTD said:

Or send a copy of the plans elsewhere?

Unfortunately, the Rebellion's email system only allow attachments up to 10MB, and the Death Star plans are 10.2MB.

I have enjoyed 7 and 8. Looking forward to 9. I also very much enjoyed Rogue One, as it was a solid movie.

I liked the space battle.

I liked the ground battle.

I liked the hopelessness and the ending. It shows how far the empire is willing to go to maintain strength. Its a metaphor for how athoritarian dictatorships will supress something.

Jedha.

Scariff.

Alderaan.

To quote a Imperial Guard saying from 40k, "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush his achievement and remove all record of his very existence. From that defeat there is no recovery. That is the meaning of victory."

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Lord Tareq said:

I liked how they were brave enough to let the main characters die.

This incorrectly assumes any of those glorified extras were characters, which as many other's have critiqued above is not really a fair description of any of them. Also, is it really "bold" to let a bunch of people no one has ever heard of and clearly don't exist in the later 6 films of the world die in a prequel?

8 hours ago, NebulonB said:

underrated? I know not one person who doesnt like / love that movie. VII and VIII, on the other hand, ...., nah, lets not go there. Rogue 1 is beloved.

To be fair to the OP, while I place Rogue One highly as far as Star Wars films go, my Star Wars loving friends in my circle are 50/50 on loving-hating Rogue One, which always surprises me.  For those that didn't like it, I typically agree with their critiques (the main cast were terribly developed nobodies who bounce around doing nothing for most of the film), but I still enjoy the film in spite of those limitations (thanks to great effects, consistenty and lovingly situated in the built world, Krennic/Tarkin is quite a good flushing out, the Battle of Scarif looks great and is fun).

Though to agree to your latter point, NebulonB, the vast majority of my circle all despised The Last Jedi.

Edited by AllWingsStandyingBy