Stinchy

UNDER RATED Rogue one

To this day I think rogue one is underrated. 

I think it has not only brought armada back.... hammerheads .... raddus... mc75...  but injected Star Wars into the people. 

also it is a great movie.. 

i find very little flaws in it, and I hope the rise of the sky walker can learn from it. 

Posted (edited)

While it has its critics (not me, it’s my third favorite SW film) Rogue One is the SW film most (as in 80-90% in my opinion) seem to agree is great. 

Underrated? I definitely think it’s success is sadly overshadowed by the anger toward the Last Jedi.

Solo is absolutely underrated. Again it has its critics, probably the same number as Rogue One but not as much vocal love.

Edited by Forresto

Absolutely top 3 SW Movie.  I don't think it is underrated at all.  The nearly seamless transition between Rogue One and A New Hope is fantastic.  I have only had one person say they didn't like it and I firmly believe that was pure anti-Disney bias with no room for movement in their thoughts.  

As for Solo, probably got the short end of the stick but I don't think Star Wars is ripe for "Origin Stories" like Marvel is.  I think Disney tried to replicate their Marvel model on Star Wars and it fell a little flat.  Han, Chewie, and Lando were never at any risk throughout the movie.  The relationship between Lando and his driod was wierd, although it gave us a reason for the Falcon's personality.  I liked Solo, more than I expected going in, it just wasn't ever going to be a block buster the way we expect Star Wars to be.

Coming to the Armada forum and saying you think a Star Wars movie filmed like a war movie with an epic space battle was underrated is just begging for upvotes. You're not going to find a lot of disagreement here.

You know what I think was underrated? The Battle of Endor. And the Battle of Hoth. And the first attack on the Death Star. Totally underrated. Who's with me?

ROGUE ONE was received very well and made over a billion dollars at the box office so I'd hardly say it's underrated.

Now SOLO on the other hand... that's an underrated film in my opinion. Since it's hit Netflix, I've been watching it constantly. It moves like gangbusters, is gorgeous to look at, and is just a ton of fun. I find it to be so rewatchable.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Forresto said:

I think you make an excellent point. Rogue One definitely rejuvenated Armada. 

The excellent space battle over Scarif alone likely brought in a surge of new players. 

That romantic ballet as hammerhead causes ISD to crash into ISD, how I wish it could be recreated via some mechanic in Armada..

And Devastator dropping in with no fear of the "hyperspace collision" issue and seeing small ships obliterate themselves against it..

Edited by Muelmuel

Rogue One is the only Star Wars movie that I think was designed for the Armada audience, fans of Star Wars from the 80s and 90s who like the technical and military aspects of science fiction.

I like the movie. That said I've only seen it once and I think both of the CGI characters were very poorly done and somewhat tasteless as an inclusion to begin with.

Posted (edited)

I find it overrated. 

-Unlikable main cast cast filled with characters who act like caricatures of emo kids (IM SAD AND BITTER BECAUSE LIFE IS HARD!!!) but LOOK extremely like a Star Wars cast should. Seriously, try to describe Jyn Erso without describing her looks or job. She’s a person with hair. 

-Stormtroopers went from kind of incompetent to Call of Duty campaign enemies set on easy. Seriously. They are so embarrassingly incompetent that it detracts from the achievements of the main cast. 

-This means fight scenes where an assassin, a half trained terrorist, a blind Jedi without a lightsaber, and a weaboo wish fulfillment character massacre the Imperial shock troops. 

- once again the lesson in a Star Wars movie is that it doesn’t matter what you accomplish, but that you were born to an important family. Jyn Erso wouldn’t have gotten the time of day from the rebellion if not for daddy issues.

- The best parts of the movie involve NONE OF THE MAIN CAST. Raddus, Vader, the entire space fight didn’t involve any characters with real screen time or development. I’d bet good money that the most watch clips on YouTube don’t involve the main characters  

-The visuals on the other hand were all top notch and deserve praise. The attention to detail was impressive

Edited by Church14

5 hours ago, Thrindal said:

As for Solo, probably got the short end of the stick but I don't think Star Wars is ripe for "Origin Stories" like Marvel is.  I think Disney tried to replicate their Marvel model on Star Wars and it fell a little flat.  Han, Chewie, and Lando were never at any risk throughout the movie.  The relationship between Lando and his driod was wierd, although it gave us a reason for the Falcon's personality.  I liked Solo, more than I expected going in, it just wasn't ever going to be a block buster the way we expect Star Wars to be.

While I agree that Solo fell flat on arrival, I do t think I would consider it a case of people not wanting "origin stories", so much as a case of Star Wars fatigue fueled by Disney's rush to get films out there, coupled with backlash over the Disney SW films themselves amongst the general fan base, and wasn't helped by the directorial change which created another "Disney doesn't get it" moment for those fans wanting to see a fresh take on it.

I'm 52 years old, I saw Star Wars in theater when it was originally released, didn't grow up in the age of digital downloads or blue ray, or even DVDs or VHS or rental services. We watched Star Wars on the big screen as many times as we could, because we had no idea when we could see it again, which didn't really change until the time of Jedi, so there was no possibility of burnout on only three films.

I remember after the first film came out, discovering the Marvel comics, and getting new stories of Han and Chewie fighting alongside Jax. Going forward, before there was an extended universe, finding books like Han Solo At Stars End, more prequels than origin stories, but still stories about Han and Chewie or Lando that also lacked any real threat to our heroes because they obviously survived until the Rebellion. But, we still loved reading those stories.

i think Solo just got caught in a perfect storm of issues, not all the fault of the film itself, and that hurt the film at the box office.

1 hour ago, X Wing Nut said:

After watching Rogue one i believed Star Wars was safe in Disney's hands. Then The Last Jedi came out.....

Holding out hope for Rise of Skywalker 

If you liked the first JJWARS movie, you'll probably like the last one. Me, I'm not a fan of JJ, so I only had hope for the  last two installments, but that was dashed with the news that JJ was coming back to save Star Wars on the heels of his retelling of A New Hope.

4 hours ago, Snipafist said:

Coming to the Armada forum and saying you think a Star Wars movie filmed like a war movie with an epic space battle was underrated is just begging for upvotes. You're not going to find a lot of disagreement here.

You know what I think was underrated? The Battle of Endor. And the Battle of Hoth. And the first attack on the Death Star. Totally underrated. Who's with me?

Yeah, the recent Star Wars movie with the epic-scale battle isn't going to be underrated on an Armada forum lol.

Anyways, I get criticisms about the 1st act of Rogue One, it definitely feels disjointed (particularly Saw Gerrera), and VFX tech still isn't quite good enough to pull CGI Tarkin out of the uncanny valley, but  I love the rest of the movie. The Battle of Scariff has my favorite blocking and cinematography of any of the space battles in the Star Wars movie franchise. I also like that Rogue One (if briefly) touched on the darker side of the Rebel Alliance (Cassian murdering his informant) and I hope they explore that more in the Cassian Andor Disney+ series. 

I also find it overrated the space battle visuals were good, until you look closer at some things. The hammer head hitting the ISD so hard that parts of the ISD break off and pushing with such force that it cuts into the other ISD, but it takes no real damage, after its shields and engines are taken out by three Y-wings. If the Y-wing is that so powerful that three can 100% disable a ISD what is the point of the other fighters. This is in addition to what others have said, but with the general dumbing down of the enemy (Stormtroopers and all that) just redoing the same failed tactic over and over, then the super mary-sue of Rey have made this the last Star Wars movie that I have watched as at least to me the quality has taken a nose dive from great to bad. Still love the universe but not the movies, and have never really read the books so it is just Armada for me now.

Posted (edited)

I like them all (well, minus the prequels, which were garbage — the new movies are light years ahead of those).

Rogue One is the best of them, in my opinion.

Edited by n815e

12 hours ago, Atromix said:

Oh definitely, by far my favorite of the Disney Star Wars. Also think Solo deserves more love. It's a heist film set in the Star Wars Galaxy, what's not to love?

Honestly I wish they didnt try to hit all of the beats of "Han Solo" like getting the gun, the ship, etc. If they just went for heist movie with a character origin story as a secondary focus it would have been a lot better.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

Honestly I wish they didnt try to hit all of the beats of "Han Solo" like getting the gun, the ship, etc. If they just went for heist movie with a character origin story as a secondary focus it would have been a lot better.

It would’ve been interesting to have a Star Wars movie that was a heist story. Marketed as a heist with all new characters. You only find out at the end that a snot-nosed rookie who stepped up and flew the ship or some other feat was named Han...

To be clear, I actually enjoyed Solo a lot. I agree that they assembled him as a character too completely by end of movie, but it was a fun romp/heist movie

Edited by Church14

12 hours ago, Forresto said:

While it has its critics (not me, it’s my third favorite SW film) Rogue One is the SW film most (as in 80-90% in my opinion) seem to agree is great. 

Underrated? I definitely think it’s success is sadly overshadowed by the anger toward the Last Jedi.

Solo is absolutely underrated. Again it has its critics, probably the same number as Rogue One but not as much vocal love.

I like many others really enjoyed rogue1. The space battle especially had clear objectives that were conveyed to the audience so it wasn’t just a bunch of pretty things to look at thrown on screen. K2so may be my favorite sw droid. The first half of the film lagged at times, and seemed jumpy with the planet hopping, and jyn suffered from being a passive character who had things happen to her rather than her driving the story. All in all I really enjoyed it though, I liked cassian and saw for that matter showing the rebellion too had shades of grey. 

I also really enjoyed solo. It suffered unfairly as a result of tlj backlash. 

Both vii and viii were dissapointments to me.  The standalone films were gems. Looking forwards to the mandalorian and ole wan mgregors return to the role of kenobi. Honestly had zero interest to see ix but then they brought the emperor back. They’ve hooked me again!

13 hours ago, Atromix said:

Oh definitely, by far my favorite of the Disney Star Wars. Also think Solo deserves more love. It's a heist film set in the Star Wars Galaxy, what's not to love?

I thought solo was a good film.  At first I wasn't sure about the actor for Han and I was sceptically looking for him to not embody Han at all... But as the first few minutes played out I found my self seeing Han and not an actor trying to be Harrison Ford. I thought the actor actually did a good job playing Han.  I also think people got turned off by all the media on the results and director change.  I guess people figured "bad reports and lots of changes equal bad movie."  I have heard very few people who went to see it say they thought it was horrible.  It was a different type of SW movie and I really enjoyed it.  

Granted I really enjoyed TLJ to do what do I know.... (spends brace token to remove half of the bashing for liking TLJ).  Look, I get that people didn't like Luke being broken. "it's not in his character".  I get it, maybe it was to much and I respect peoples opinions on that and other critics. Some I agree with. Cantobit, pretty useless....  I really like that it took chances and wasn't just a rehash of TESB but it still kept the "SW formula"  I mean people love TFA but IT WAS THE SAME F@*"+-/ MOVIE AS ANH!???!??!  I don't understand how people love seeing a remake of ANH but someone takes a chances to make a "new" movie and it's the worst thing in the world.

My dad is 60something, he saw ANH in the theater back in the day.  He literally thought TFA was a remake... Not the first movie of the sequal. Haha

49 minutes ago, ExplosiveTooka said:

I do agree with this.  It was like "oh, everything you know about Hans past... Yeah that all happen in the span of a few months, mostly days..."

Don't think about it to much. Haha

2 hours ago, Church14 said:

It would’ve been interesting to have a Star Wars movie that was a heist story. Marketed as a heist with all new characters. You only find out at the end that a snot-nosed rookie who stepped up and flew the ship or some other feat was named Han...

To be clear, I actually enjoyed Solo a lot. I agree that they assembled him as a character too completely by end of movie, but it was a fun romp/heist movie

Honestly I think that would swing to far in the opposite direction. It could use a little more han. Maybe a psuedo protagonist and Han takes over a third of the way through?