immortalfrieza

What is the most ballsy thing your character has ever done?

...and did they survive the experience?

As for me, I am currently playing a PbP The Old Republic game and recently my character decided it would be a good idea to tell a Sith Lord to give us some sort of advance and NOT treat the party as disposable pawns or more accurately follow the lead on another player whose character did the same. I have yet to conclude that particular encounter so we'll see if we die or not.

Ballsy stories about other characters are also perfectly welcome.

Edited by immortalfrieza

Don't know if this counts ...

In a Clone Wars AU, on her very first turn in the campaign, my character - a Healer! - was the first Jedi to Force Leap into the Geonosis arena in an attempt to save Kenobi (AU, so only Kenobi was there). Her "reward" was to be chewed on by an angry alien kitty (arena-bred "super-nexu"). (She survived.)

Edited by Bellona

Took a crit where I lost an arm from a blaster carbine shot. Then jumped over the barrier between me and opponent,  hit him with a vibroknuckler got the same crit grabbed the severed arm with his only hand and proceeded to beat the opponent with the wet end of the arm until he was unconscious

Not me, but one of my players, while doing a heist and getting chased by CorSec, the player who was playing a Gamorean, jumped from his moving speeder, to the hood of the CorSec officers speeder. Rolled so well that he landed, killed them both and stole their vehicle.

Oh boy, I could be at this all day... But just to provide tentative highlights:

Conducted a raid on a Hutt's vault, alone with just some hired grunts to load items. This was more of a cinematic event to kick start one of the major closing arcs of the campaign, but it was really the defining moment when my character stopped being a quiet rodian and became a self enabling outlaw. Ended up obtaining a HWK-1000, a Tie Interceptor, a pair of lightsaber crystals, a Clone Trooper frozen in carbonite and trashed an art collection worth millions. Needless to say my client was super happy and sometime later I got to keep the ships after subsequently stopping an imperial invasion on Nal Hutta!

Literally went back in time a month to rescue a member of the party whom had been dead for two months in game (9 months out of game) in a collassal reactor explosion. a bardium powered reactor. We were in the walkway between stars, saw the vision and asked "is there a way back?", then dived in. We had a lot of characters leave the party or die, but this was probably the only time a character actually came back from the grave.

Infiltrating an alliance intelligence base to obtain information on a black ops operation on courscant. Ended up finding and releasing Emperor's Hand held under captivity, in exchange for her aid navigating Coursant. Yes, I was savy enough to bargain with Mara Jade, enter, and leave without incident. All while tipsy, completely undetected. The pilot who employed me for this job also got us in and out without incident, it's probably the smoothest a plan has ever gone.

Deceived Guri and stolen the Virago. To give context the first time I encountered her I was in the vessel pretending to be a maintaince worker, after rescuing Luke and booking it I spilt to grab the vessel for alliance inteligance, Guri was about to take off in it, but not before getting mighty interested in smashing my face in. Ended up tricking her by claiming that "sure you can take the vessel, but I've messed with the controls, so unless you want to hit a wall the moment you hit the thrust, just let me sort it in exchange for my life.", a deception that only worked because I could have legitimately have savaged it because she had seen me prior. Ended up hitting the thrust and getting my cybernetic arm torn off as a support beam knocked her off, but the prize was worth the pain.

That's just the insane actions. I like going full Lupin the 3rd with my heist material, so I have a fair few accolades to both my and the teams name.

27 minutes ago, LordBritish said:

Oh boy, I could be at this all day... But just to provide tentative highlights:

Conducted a raid on a Hutt's vault, alone with just some hired grunts to load items. This was more of a cinematic event to kick start one of the major closing arcs of the campaign, but it was really the defining moment when my character stopped being a quiet rodian and became a self enabling outlaw. Ended up obtaining a HWK-1000, a Tie Interceptor, a pair of lightsaber crystals, a Clone Trooper frozen in carbonite and trashed an art collection worth millions. Needless to say my client was super happy and sometime later I got to keep the ships after subsequently stopping an imperial invasion on Nal Hutta!

Literally went back in time a month to rescue a member of the party whom had been dead for two months in game (9 months out of game) in a collassal reactor explosion. a bardium powered reactor. We were in the walkway between stars, saw the vision and asked "is there a way back?", then dived in. We had a lot of characters leave the party or die, but this was probably the only time a character actually came back from the grave.

Infiltrating an alliance intelligence base to obtain information on a black ops operation on courscant. Ended up finding and releasing Emperor's Hand held under captivity, in exchange for her aid navigating Coursant. Yes, I was savy enough to bargain with Mara Jade, enter, and leave without incident. All while tipsy, completely undetected. The pilot who employed me for this job also got us in and out without incident, it's probably the smoothest a plan has ever gone.

Deceived Guri and stolen the Virago. To give context the first time I encountered her I was in the vessel pretending to be a maintaince worker, after rescuing Luke and booking it I spilt to grab the vessel for alliance inteligance, Guri was about to take off in it, but not before getting mighty interested in smashing my face in. Ended up tricking her by claiming that "sure you can take the vessel, but I've messed with the controls, so unless you want to hit a wall the moment you hit the thrust, just let me sort it in exchange for my life.", a deception that only worked because I could have legitimately have savaged it because she had seen me prior. Ended up hitting the thrust and getting my cybernetic arm torn off as a support beam knocked her off, but the prize was worth the pain.

That's just the insane actions. I like going full Lupin the 3rd with my heist material, so I have a fair few accolades to both my and the teams name.

Don't stop! Keep going!

In this westmarches game a group of space combat characters (me included, I was the commodore build) went to go get some crates left by some rebel smugglers in the midst of a asteroid field. Suddenly a vindicator jumped in at long range outside the field and started deploying ties. Me and two other PCs on my pimped out Neb-B kept it busy until a bright idea came into mind of exploiting sniper shot ATA and the fact that Neb Bs have medium range tractor beams to drag the vindicator into the asteroids for some free crits. After one 6 crit was rolled everyone was so happy at me when all the quad lights started concentrating barraging us.

Edited by Samuel Richard

We had been pretending to help out an Imperial officer and his minions to do some salvage... he was happy to have us as cannon fodder against another group operating in the space. We left him in a cafeteria of the facility and proceeded further in. We had just managed to find what we were looking for ourselves, when we saw his back-up approaching. We were in wrecked facility floating in space, and at a porthole, I used flashing lights to try to signal them away. Then we started booking it back to the airlock where our ship was. Along the way, we had to pass through that cafeteria, and when we did, I saw that there was a large comm unit on the table right there. I was worried that the back-up would try radioing in, but if I just turned the unit off, what was to stop the officer in the cafeteria from turning it on again? At that point in time, he still trusted us, though he was worried that we were fleeing back through the cafeteria. So I grabbed the comm unit and ran up to him, then clocked him upside the head with it, and kept running all the way back to our ship.

Not only did we get what the Rebellion had sent us to salvage, but I was also able to deliver a nice, only slightly-dented Imperial communications device to my Rebel contact.

Used their freighter as a ballistic missile against a hutt palace.  Survived in escape pod.

Used a speeder bike as a ballistic missile to take out an AT-ST.  Survived by jumping off and rolling really well.

Guy tried to take on an acklay in melee combat, lost an arm.  Medic on the team reattached the arm in the field.  I hate how consistently my players can best impossible difficulty challenges.

Jumped onto a moving AT-ST, climbed it to the top, shot open the lock and killed the pilots...while the rest of the party was in another AT-ST and was shooting at the AT-ST that was being climbed.

Convinced an Imperial spy that the off-the-books base the players captured had been acquired by Imperial Intelligence and that his CO will be severely punished in any further actions were taken against the base.

Started a slave revolt in a city who's only economy was slavery, during a timed mission which had nothing to do with this city, the slaves, or the slavers.

My favorite though was using capital ship grade tractor beams as a defensive emplacement during a base defense encounter.  The idea of bouncing AT-STs against rock walls like rag dolls was pretty great.

Approaching the Acklay from the side, Astrid notes that its head and neck region are within reach, in its position of repose. Good. I was not looking forward to climbing onto the frakking thing... 

Almost there... The animal shifts slightly, and the explorer freezes. An eternity passes, in a few moments... Still asleep. Resuming her perilous mission, she extends the collar toward the resting beast's neck.

Before she can get the collar clasped, the creature moves, nearly pinning her to the wall. All three of its eyes are open now, but she manages to clamber onto its back, out of reach of its sharp teeth and powerful claws. Still have the collar. I'll probably still be clutching it when I'm dead... 

Holding desperately onto its neck, Astrid clings to the hope that her friends will distract the murderous monster long enough for her to make one final attempt. Nope. So much for subtlety... Hold on! 

Struggling to hang on to the now fully awake Acklay, as it takes fire, Astrid hears the Medic's voice through her helmet's headset. With a flick of her chin, she enables voice activation: "Have you ever heard the expression riding the rancor? Things just got a whole lot harder, but I think I can get this thing clasped without falling off. Just have to ease it around slowly..."

Grateful for the FrictionGrip coating on her Mountaineering Armor, she begins creeping the collar around the creature's neck, maintaining as much surface contact as possible...

"Click." As the Acklay is rendered unconscious, and the collar clicks into place, Astrid slumps. Regaining her composure, she slides from her perch upon the creature, and rejoins the others.

"I need to have Crumbleberry examine my head... my fight-or-flight response is frakked. So, yeah. We definitely need to incorporate... I'm thinking Rancor Wranglers, or maybe Acklay Acquisitions?"

(This was my Archaeologist from the Alchemical Problems pbp, the first Star Wars game I played in. Screwed up the initial roll, but with a Triumph I was able to hop on and try again while an ally shot it full of RancorTranq Darts. The game ended a couple years ago, but Astrid sometimes makes special guest appearances in my son's game, with her little big-game-hunter pal).

EnAoIQH_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

4 hours ago, kmanweiss said:

Started a slave revolt in a city who's only economy was slavery, during a timed mission which had nothing to do with this city, the slaves, or the slavers.

I love when players do this kind of thing. :v)

On 8/27/2019 at 5:28 AM, Bellona said:

Don't know if this counts ...

In a Clone Wars AU, on her very first turn in the campaign, my character - a Healer! - was the first Jedi to Force Leap into the Geonosis arena in an attempt to save Kenobi (AU, so only Kenobi was there). Her "reward" was to be chewed on by an angry alien kitty (arena-bred "super-nexu"). (She survived.)

I'm the GM for this 😈 the AltU premise is what if Anakin lost the pod race in tpm so never became a jedi (and other fall out changes, so O66 would be up to a tribunal of senators only one of which is in palpatine's pocket)

I had a RCR character in a kotor era RCR d20 game that in the opening session went over the edge of a cloud city with the macguffin (droid head)   failed the first roll to shoot the grappling spike launcher then used heroic surge to get another action and used a force point to make sure I made it then climbed in someone's balcony, fidgeting with the droid head to download the info but the crime lord had rigged a thermal detonator in it when it started to beeped (after I had got the data) I through it over the edge, then used my mechanical hand (basically a repulsor fist with a blaster in it) to touch things in the apartment so didn't leave fingerprints but I helped myself to a change of clothes so that I could blend.

16 hours ago, jendefer said:

I love when players do this kind of thing. :v)

It's the only sort of thing my players do. 

Hired by one criminal faction to destroy another criminal faction.  They find out their boss is the kind of guy that kills people that fail or double cross him.  They don't take this as a warning, but as a challenge.

So instead of destroying the small upstart criminal faction, they covertly take out the leadership, take their place, then use newly controlled criminal faction to wage war against the other faction...after collecting the reward for completing the original job.

Seriously, it was a simple smash a grab, blow everything up mission that was supposed to be 2-3 sessions...they turned it into a campaign to kill their employer just because they heard he was a massive a-hole.  Best part, despite gathering an actual fleet of ships and a veritable army or soldiers, once they killed the original employer and disrupted his criminal network, they just handed leadership of their criminal faction over to someone else in the organization and went about their way with their freighter.

Another time they were hired to do a simple delivery job (that turned more complicated of course) and ended up having to stop by a small scrap refinery that used slave labor.  They were in a rush so they had to leave, but 3 adventures later..."Hey, remember that slave camp, we should go back and blow it up."  They detoured off a major job just to blow the crap out of a dozen or so thugs.

As a GM with this group, I feel like an aircraft marshal trying to guide them in for a smooth landing and they end up at another airport 3 states over more often than not.

May Clawdite Infiltrator player just returned from the Shadowlands on the Kashyyyk As 1 of the Trandoshan whose party She killed with the assistance of the wookiees. She scouted Rwookwoorro for Infos pretending to drink. She had to get into the garrison and the wookiees would distract by a raid on the slave cages. She had the side mission to sabotage the ATPT helpi g the wookiees, so as a drunk she wandered to the walker, climbed on it to give the lasertube a kiss, while secretly planting a thermal detonator. So much triumph, so much threat! Great scene

UPDATE: The player who my character was backing up managed an Impossible difficulty negotiation dice roll (ygppppp=2 success 5 threat) and got the Sith Lord to back down and actually give the advance. My character is practically worshiping the ground he walks on after THAT one.

I GM'd an old Swedish RPG called Mutant: Undergångens Arvtagare (roughly translated; Mutant: Heirs of the Apocalypse), which was a post-apocalyptic game set in an early industrial age post-apocalyptic Sweden. (canonically taking place about 100 years after the events of the Mutant: Year Zero RPG's, if anyone knows what those are)

One of the players was a retired cavalry officer with a very high skill in using his rapier for a new character (something like a 75% chance). Another player was a former stable boy with no education whatsoever and very few skills...

Now, in their first adventure, they found an old military rifle from before the apocalypse (still in working condition), and the former stable boy asserts that he should have it because he used to be part of a special forces military unit (a complete lie, but since the players didn't know each others' backgrounds and skills, the rest of the group believed him. Much to the chagrin of the officer (who called his bluff immediately).

Now, as it turns out... for the rest of the campaign (a short one, around 5-6 adventures), this uneducated stable boy didn't miss a single shot he took with the rifle! He had a 5% chance to hit, and each time he fired it (a total of 10 times) he actually managed to hit what he was aiming for.
And to make things worse, the Officer (with his 75% chance to hit) was missing most of his attacks. 

The group ended up electing the stable boy as their leader and shunned and ridiculed the officer to no end. They were convinced he was a fraud and treated him as such.

(it should be noted that nobody took offense to this, and both players found the whole thing hilarious. Especially since after the first adventure the two players in question had a chat about their characters and told each other the truth... but they didn't tell the rest of the group until after the campaign)

This also kind of rubbed off in general since the stable boy started acting as if he was a big deal around everyone they encountered... and since the rest of the group seemed to back him up, it often worked. He got special treatment when on steamboats and trains and in hotels and things like that.

It was pretty fun :D

Edited by OddballE8

8 minutes ago, OddballE8 said:

I GM'd an old Swedish RPG called Mutant: Undergångens Arvtagare (roughly translated; Mutant: Heirs of the Apocalypse), which was a post-apocalyptic game set in an early industrial age post-apocalyptic Sweden. (canonically taking place about 100 years after the events of the Mutant: Year Zero RPG's, if anyone knows what those are)

I ran a campaign for the same game where the PCs had gotten hold an ancient, powerful weapon: The Soul Sucker!

Now while the players realized pretty much straight away that it was simply a vacuum cleaner, the PCs didn't, so when they were attacked by a humoungous stag beetle, rather than relying an an assortment of hitech rifles, laser guns and stuff, they whipped out the sucker!

Which promptly almost got them killed.

When they managed to chase of the monstrosity and collect their thoughts they realized what utter fools they'd been.

Naturally, something as primitive as an insect wouldn't have a soul to suck, so no wonder their weapon didn't work! They kept it, and even managed to threaten some enemies to back down with it later.

---

Gotta love it when the players risk a TPKing themselves just to play into your gag.

1 hour ago, penpenpen said:

I ran a campaign for the same game where the PCs had gotten hold an ancient, powerful weapon: The Soul Sucker!

Now while the players realized pretty much straight away that it was simply a vacuum cleaner, the PCs didn't, so when they were attacked by a humoungous stag beetle, rather than relying an an assortment of hitech rifles, laser guns and stuff, they whipped out the sucker!

Which promptly almost got them killed.

When they managed to chase of the monstrosity and collect their thoughts they realized what utter fools they'd been.

Naturally, something as primitive as an insect wouldn't have a soul to suck, so no wonder their weapon didn't work! They kept it, and even managed to threaten some enemies to back down with it later.

---

Gotta love it when the players risk a TPKing themselves just to play into your gag.

Something similar happened in another campaign (when I was younger).

Players found what they thought was an advanced ancient weapon.

It was a pop-gun...

They didn't want to use it until it was most needed.

Didn't work out great :P

18 hours ago, immortalfrieza said:

UPDATE: The player who my character was backing up managed an Impossible difficulty negotiation dice roll (ygppppp=2 success 5 threat) and got the Sith Lord to back down and actually give the advance. My character is practically worshiping the ground he walks on after THAT one.

So, what did you do to him as a result of those 5 Threats?