XPav

Resistance B-Wings / Y-Wings

Thanks for the mention.  With some extra filters applied it looks like it's got more guns on the side.   Also looks to have cargo bay in the front.  I'm guessing whatever it is it can launch an A-Wing or two out the front - which would be freaking cool.  

11 hours ago, Force Majeure said:

Can you imagine Y's and B's with a Tech slot?

Advanced Optics alone would be pretty cool on these two guys.

Passive Sensors would be pretty cool on a B

On 8/26/2019 at 9:27 AM, ficklegreendice said:

Nice

Though it ruins my theory that the Resistance would happen upon and salvage prequel era ships (to tie in with the Clone Wars revitalization and all)

Plus Arc Poe with gunner Finn reliving their brief time in the SF? Would've been awesome

The CR-90 is prequel era as only Rebels and Republic have it.

Still C.I.S. hardware is used in my A&M format.

Edited by Marinealver

7 hours ago, Crabbok said:

Thanks for the mention.  With some extra filters applied it looks like it's got more guns on the side.   Also looks to have cargo bay in the front.  I'm guessing whatever it is it can launch an A-Wing or two out the front - which would be freaking cool.  

The front end of it bears more than a passing resemblance to the Eravana, Han and Chewies freighter from TFA.

So maybe it’s a modified Baleen-class heavy freighter?

12 minutes ago, DexterOnone said:

The front end of it bears more than a passing resemblance to the Eravana, Han and Chewies freighter from TFA.

So maybe it’s a modified Baleen-class heavy freighter?

It would have to be heavily modified since Baleen are almost 3 times the length of a CR90 and never designed for atmospheric.

12 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Thanks. But if this image was not photoshoped, some things in the video are wrong.

w36x9cfsf4j31.jpg

Looks like there is no volume in the front, but a giant door. Would this be some kind of carrier?

EDIT: I'm beting it's not a very large ship, just a troop/vehicle carrier, similar to the LCVP from WW2.

Edited by Odanan

2 hours ago, Octarine-08 said:

It would have to be heavily modified since Baleen are almost 3 times the length of a CR90 and never designed for atmospheric.

From that image, it looks as though it’s further away than the CR-90, so could well be larger.

Also, given that all the other ships are seen to Hyperspace in, it’s probably just outside the atmosphere - exiting Hyperspace directly into the atmosphere is generally considered a no-no, and very few pilots (Han being one) have done it successfully... it's doubtful that a whole fleet would attempt it, and if they did there would most likely be quite a few ships going ‘boom’! :o

Haven’t seen this whole thread, so apologies if this is already been suggested.

I would love to see card packs for ships like the y-wing and now potentially the b-wing so they can be used across factions without having 100 models. I feel a bit of the same way about the A-Wing, though I love the blue paint of the resistance one.

2 hours ago, DexterOnone said:

From that image, it looks as though it’s further away than the CR-90, so could well be larger.

Also, given that all the other ships are seen to Hyperspace in, it’s probably just outside the atmosphere - exiting Hyperspace directly into the atmosphere is generally considered a no-no, and very few pilots (Han being one) have done it successfully... it's doubtful that a whole fleet would attempt it, and if they did there would most likely be quite a few ships going ‘boom’! :o

No rules for the tech from prior movies or material are applicable in JJ Star Wars. Throw it all out the window. That stuff is now all just a rug they can pull out from under the audience for cheap gotchas or milk for unearned emotional beats and nostalgia. It is now Rule of Cool or even more cynically Rule of Easier and Cheaper to Shoot and Edit along with Rule of Be Led Around by the Plot because JJ is a crap director and writer. I saw the entire new teaser and they clearly hyperspace into atmosphere at a very low altitude as well.

I'm sure they'll hand wave it away somehow and who cares right? Resistance Y-wings! Resistance B-wings!

Product cinema by market focus group at its finest. 

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

No rules for the tech from prior movies or material are applicable in JJ Star Wars. Throw it all out the window. That stuff is now all just a rug they can pull out from under the audience for cheap gotchas or milk for unearned emotional beats and nostalgia. It is now Rule of Cool or even more cynically Rule of Easier and Cheaper to Shoot and Edit along with Rule of Be Led Around by the Plot because JJ is a crap director and writer. I saw the entire new teaser and they clearly hyperspace into atmosphere at a very low altitude as well.

I'm sure they'll hand wave it away somehow and who cares right? Resistance Y-wings! Resistance B-wings!

I would agree, but wasn't Star Wars always Rule of Cool? I mean, space wizards and laser swords...

1 hour ago, Frimmel said:

I'll just note that in the movies there was never any mention of hyperdrives having a problem with atmosphere or even planets.

"Without precise calculations we'd fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?" <- That's pretty much our only indication from movie dialogue of what causes problems for hyperdrives. Note no mention of planets.

Everything else we "know" came from secondary sources. Most of which were EU, and thus excised from canon when Disney took over.

1 hour ago, Freeptop said:

I'll just note that in the movies there was never any mention of hyperdrives having a problem with atmosphere or even planets.

"Without precise calculations we'd fly right through a star or bounce too close to a supernova and that'd end your trip real quick, wouldn't it?" <- That's pretty much our only indication from movie dialogue of what causes problems for hyperdrives. Note no mention of planets.

Everything else we "know" came from secondary sources. Most of which were EU, and thus excised from canon when Disney took over.

I've been banging on this drum for four years now. A fictional universe needs rules for its tech and magic. They can be any rules like wearing a ring can turn you invisible at the cost of your soul but they must be adhered to. Creators don't get to throw the rules out because there isn't enough screen time for the heroes to overcome them or they aren't convenient to the cool shot you want or the creator just wrote themselves into a corner. When you violate the rules of your tech and your magic you are cheating. 

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

I would agree, but wasn't Star Wars always Rule of Cool? I mean, space wizards and laser swords...

What if the laser swords stopped being able to block blaster shots? Laser swords are made obsolete. Does that do good things or bad things for the Star Wars universe? Would that be cool?

10 hours ago, Frimmel said:

I've been banging on this drum for four years now. A fictional universe needs rules for its tech and magic. They can be any rules like wearing a ring can turn you invisible at the cost of your soul but they must be adhered to. Creators don't get to throw the rules out because there isn't enough screen time for the heroes to overcome them or they aren't convenient to the cool shot you want or the creator just wrote themselves into a corner. When you violate the rules of your tech and your magic you are cheating. 

What if the laser swords stopped being able to block blaster shots? Laser swords are made obsolete. Does that do good things or bad things for the Star Wars universe? Would that be cool?

But you don't know the rules.

You know fake rules from never-ever-canon-and-especially-not-canon-now-sources, and you cannot let go.

That's a you problem, no offense.

14 hours ago, Frimmel said:

We get it, man. 

You don't have to watch the movie. 

11 hours ago, Frimmel said:

My point was they didn't violate the rules. The only rules they established was that flying through a star or getting too close to a supernova would be problems for hyperdrives. At no point in any of the movies did they ever say that hyperdrives couldn't be used close to a planet. So they haven't violated the rules of their tech in the least. Again, old EU novels and RPG books don't count anymore. Even under George Lucas, the policy was always that the movies took precedence - everything else could be overridden by movies at any time. Heck, at one point, they had an official hierarchy of canon which said what forms of media were allowed to override others. The movies were always on top, though.

Granted, all of this may well be moot, because I'm not convinced that the shot from the D23 footage is even in an atmosphere, to begin with. It could just as easily be in a nebula, or just be a result of the backlighting used to make the shot look cool.

One final point, though: "A fictional universe needs rules for its tech and magic." That's your opinion, not a hard fact. Sometimes "rule of cool" is just fine for plenty of people, even if it isn't for you.

You guys only seem to think that The Rules are specific to dialogue and that the circumstances and scenes and ways they went about things in the movies don't contribute to our understanding of how things work.

In Force Awakens Han Solo specifically threw out the rules we're talking about here. I guess I'm the only one who was utterly and thoroughly angered by that scene with Han, Finn,  and Rey where the creators did exactly the thing I'm talking about here: threw out the rules to get their characters out of a jam. And with exactly the argument you guys are making, "Those aren't the rules." 

While I have to respect your right to be okay with that I will reserve the right to be horrified at your willingness to defend it.

8 hours ago, Freeptop said:

One final point, though: "A fictional universe needs rules for its tech and magic." That's your opinion, not a hard fact.

Do you understand what you're arguing for with that? You're arguing that a fictional universe doesn't need to define its reality. It doesn't need to say what is and isn't real. Reality in the fictional universe is whatever they say it is whenever they say it is because space wizards and laser swords. There is stuff that isn't real in the real world so there is no real in the fictional one. 

7 hours ago, Freeptop said:

Granted, all of this may well be moot, because I'm not convinced that the shot from the D23 footage is even in an atmosphere, to begin with. It could just as easily be in a nebula, or just be a result of the backlighting used to make the shot look cool.

Why would it matter that you're not convinced? No rules against it right? It wasn't something we overlooked because it was Han being badass and only a badass like Han could do it. No rules against it. Everyone can do it no badass required. 

And it looks cool right? It's good as long as it's cool right? Doesn't take away from what came before does it? Doesn't make them look stupid for trying to use an older code to get to the planet. There is no spoken rule that is a star shining though the clouds like you'd see through a planet. Space wizards and laser swords so there doesn't need to be a consistent framework of what can and can not be done. It can be whatever they say it is can't it? Who cares if any of this is grounded in anything as long as those rabbits keep coming and we can keep going, "Wow." 

giphy.gif

I have to agree with @Frimmel here. Some people confuse "realism" with consistency. Imagine introducing laser guns and airplanes in the third Lord of the Rings movie. It would ruin all suspense and immersion, because it destroys all the rules of this universe that define the options of the characters. Hyperspace Ramming, jumping out and into atmosphere when the plot needs it, etc, all this kind of stuff makes previous character actions and choices seem idiotic and dumb in retrospect. Those things werent impossible because someone specifically SAID that they are, but more because they were off the table from the start, it was clear by the decisions made by the characters that those things arent an option. Now that they supposedly are, all past actions seem dumb with these new concepts made possible. You either have to believe people never though of those ideas or try to come up with some excuse for why it has never been done before. 

Using a deus ex machine to get your plot to work is the hallmark of a bad writer. Its lazy and disrespectful to the previous material.

Edited by >kkj

55 minutes ago, >kkj said:

I have to agree with @Frimmel here. Some people confuse "realism" with consistency. Imagine introducing laser guns and airplanes in the third Lord of the Rings movie. It would ruin all suspense and immersion, because it destroys all the rules of this universe that define the options of the characters. Hyperspace Ramming, jumping out and into atmosphere when the plot needs it, etc, all this kind of stuff makes previous character actions and choices seem idiotic and dumb in retrospect. Those things werent impossible because someone specifically SAID that they are, but more because they were off the table from the start, it was clear by the decisions made by the characters that those things arent an option. Now that they supposedly are, all past actions seem dumb with these new concepts made possible. You either have to believe people never though of those ideas or try to come up with some excuse for why it has never been done before. 

Using a deus ex machine to get your plot to work is the hallmark of a bad writer. Its lazy and disrespectful to the previous material.

This says it best.

To make a good "story-verse" you set specific limitations on your technology or magical powers. In-universe these rules should be consistent or with consequence to disregard them. Nu-canon, we know jumping too close to a planet to be a "bad idea," as Han Solo has stated. He also only just barely pulled it off, but I would hazard to guess that this type of maneuver has been pulled on rare occasions by desperate smugglers that are either too reckless to believe the danger or have nothing to lose anyway.

However, we don't know the rules for hyperspace any more... and considering how shaky the foundation of Star Wars rules are, there may not actually be much for rules. A couple guidelines maybe?

• Ships traveling through hyperspace move at the speed of plot (various movies, different travel times.)
  • Ships can jump from in-atmosphere (Rogue One.) 
  • Ships can arrive in atmosphere at great risk (TFA.)
  • Ships can have radio contact while in Hyperspace (Rogue One, TFA)

I don't think anything we see in this trailer necessarily conflicts with what we've previously seen.

Star Wars, even more-so than that other Star- series, are sometimes described as Science Fantasy rather than Science Fiction, pretty much because the Rules bend to the Plot rather than the other way around.  

Star Wars makes it pretty explicit with space wizards with swords.  That other Star- series tries to put on a mask of realism, but it's not much better at maintaining consistency.

10 minutes ago, XPav said:

Star Wars, even more-so than that other Star- series, are sometimes described as Science Fantasy rather than Science Fiction, pretty much because the Rules bend to the Plot rather than the other way around.  

That's not why Star Wars is called fantasy, instead of scifi. Star Wars is fantasy because there are no grounds for technologies to exist within science, so science fiction is not a label that can be applied.

There should be rules for fantasy stories just as much as scifi. Magic, as an example, needs rules in universe. How powerful? What is needed to cast it? Who can wield it? All important rules that need to be fixed before writing, even if you don't explicitly tell the audience.