Shadow345

Could we get the Mandator IV Class Dreadnought?

On 8/28/2019 at 1:29 AM, Norsehound said:

Well, one way to look at it is that the clone wars are only good because of nostalgia glasses. The Clone Wars cartoon is good... in part because it is a medium to gloss over, or fix, the glaring deficiencies of the prequel movies.

That's why it took so long for Clone Wars to even be mentioned in any FFG products. If it was actually good, it would have been featured a lot sooner and a lot more than incidental mentions in something like the RPG. The Resistance era has been relatively seamless in its addition to high-turnaround content products like X-Wing and Destiny. But it took a major announcement (and concession) from LFL to do the Clone Wars because it was perceived as a risk.

You also have fans like me who easily support the Resistance arc, and the sequel movies, over anything and everything in the prequels. I'd easily watch DJ and the side-quest to Canto Bight over Hayden Christensen's creepy leering Anakin complaining about sand.

I think it has more to do with the bad taste finally fading away.

The prequels have GREAT content for games.  Clones, droid armies, jedi starfighters, iconic ships, etc.  Those movies gave us great visuals that really looked like star wars.  They are highly marketable from a content standpoint.  They are not well liked as movies though due to plot, acting, story content, drastic changes to established lore.  I think enough time has passed, that people no longer get angry about how bad the movies were and just remember the awesome visuals.  Plus, they have new movies to complain about.  So you can release clone wars content without people refusing to buy it because the movies ruined their childhood.

On 8/27/2019 at 10:52 PM, Ling27 said:

Resistance Era... thats going to take another 10-15 years before that target audience gets there. Thats the only real reason it wont happen right away. XWING is different. You maybe need 4 fighters to play, so its FAR cheaper on the target audience (10-16 yo) with a short enough play time for their respective timeframe as well.

People have gotten more fond of the prequels over time.  I don't think that's going to happen with the sequels.  I think to a great extent they'll be forgotten/ignored, because they don't add anything distinct to the world.  I could be wrong though.  Are kids growing up today loving Last Jedi?  If so then maybe it'll happen.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:29 AM, Norsehound said:

Well, one way to look at it is that the clone wars are only good because of nostalgia glasses. The Clone Wars cartoon is good... in part because it is a medium to gloss over, or fix, the glaring deficiencies of the prequel movies.

That's why it took so long for Clone Wars to even be mentioned in any FFG products. If it was actually good, it would have been featured a lot sooner and a lot more than incidental mentions in something like the RPG. The Resistance era has been relatively seamless in its addition to high-turnaround content products like X-Wing and Destiny. But it took a major announcement (and concession) from LFL to do the Clone Wars because it was perceived as a risk.

You also have fans like me who easily support the Resistance arc, and the sequel movies, over anything and everything in the prequels. I'd easily watch DJ and the side-quest to Canto Bight over Hayden Christensen's creepy leering Anakin complaining about sand.

The Clone Wars era films may have been rubbish, but the Clone Wars era stuff was ace.  The ships, the ground vehicles, the locations.  So much awesome content for people to get excited about that.  The sequel era doesn't have that, because its design style is an unimaginative take on Original Trilogy, with very little that's new and memorable.

Edited by mazz0

On 8/26/2019 at 8:38 AM, Church14 said:

Well, the Mandatory is 8km. So we’ve established that you can make a model that size in game. Only problem is that it’s also 4km wide. That is a lot of overhang. 

Or pull a STAW and release it an an objective “token”

At that point, The First Order Player would break out ta "entire map" as the ship instead of a model.

2 hours ago, Zeoinx said:

At that point, The First Order Player would break out ta "entire map" as the ship instead of a model.

No sillier than the Death Star scenarios we’d make up early in the game’s life. We ended up settling on a Jacked up version of the ion cannon objective as the super laser and that one map edge was the Death Star. 

The Mandator IV is a piece of crap warship. It's of an orbital siege platform than an actual warship. 

The Onager already does what the Mandator IV is supposed to. 

I hope to never see an expansion opportunity wasted by having it devoted to the Mandator IV.

What a piece of crap. 

4 hours ago, Norsehound said:

I'd be down for the Mandator IV as the ultimate super-siege ship. It would be the huge ship for the First Order.

Really, really wishing we could get First Order sooner than later. I'll abide the goofy Clone Wars designs for now if it means the inevitability of the sequel era.

I do like the Resurgent but the Mantador is a very bland design.

13 hours ago, ISD Avenger said:

I do like the Resurgent but the Mantador is a very bland design.

Not to throw Rian Johnson under the bus (he's gotten enough of that already), but if you read The Art of the Last Jedi, the design is explained as the result of a request for a completely flat deck (so that Poe can race along and take out the point defense cannons). The ILM designers had a hard time coming up with a design that actually looked designed, because there were so few defining features.

And yet, that being said, count me as a fan. I like all of the First Order ships. Yes, even the Mandator IV and Supremacy. 😋

Edited by Rmcarrier1
Typo

I mean, yeah a part of me is disappointed by the Mandator's design but in a way I like how avant-garde the entire resistance is. Their heavy bomber is essentially a flying vertical wing, the Nebulon-C is just a collection of fins on a spine, and so forth. I like that the period has it's own sense of odd-ness in design, re-imagining all the standard ships we're familiar with in different ways.

Meanwhile I can't look at the Clone Wars Venator without asking (angrily) why they didn't use the longstanding community accepted Victory. It's a design created that didn't need to be made, and because of it the VSD has been essentially erased from existence.

Edited by Norsehound

57 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Meanwhile I can't look at the Clone Wars Venator without asking (angrily) why it's not the longstanding community accepted Victory. It's a design created that didn't need to be made, and because of it the VSD has been essentially erased from existence.

It's funny, because I see the question in an opposite manner. Why did the prequels introduce the Venator rather than use VSD's? They should have been the same ship, and as far as ideas are concerned, the VSD came first, and will always be first in my book.

Oh, I need to clarify; why did they create the Venator when the expanded universe already gives us the Victory Star Destroyer at this point in time. The Venator's creation kinda felt like a **** move to slight the VSD and all the expanded universe additions over the years.

After all this time the Venator still hasn't grown on me. If anything it's been more upsetting to see it replace the VSD in some republished works, like Thrawn's original encounter with the Empire.

55 minutes ago, Norsehound said:

Oh, I need to clarify; why did they create the Venator when the expanded universe already gives us the Victory Star Destroyer at this point in time. The Venator's creation kinda felt like a **** move to slight the VSD and all the expanded universe additions over the years.

After all this time the Venator still hasn't grown on me. If anything it's been more upsetting to see it replace the VSD in some republished works, like Thrawn's original encounter with the Empire.

Yes. That does clarify things.

I couldn't agree with you more.

12 hours ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

Not to throw Rian Johnson under the bus (he's gotten enough of that already), but if you read The Art of the Last Jedi, the design is explained as the result of a request for a completely flat deck (so that Poe can race along and take out the point defense cannons). The ILM designers had a hard time coming up with a design that actually looked designed, because there were so few defining features.

And yet, that being said, count me as a fan. I like all of the First Order ships. Yes, even the Mandator IV and Supremacy. 😋

I don't know that I want a capital ship that a single snubfighter can almost completely neuter.

I think one of the things that irks me in the sequels (and I say this as someone who is generally entertained by them), is how ridiculously easy space combat is for the good guys.  In the original films, the Rebels had some good pilots, but they were matched by good Imperial pilots.  Dogfights looked like dogfights, because both sides were putting in effort.

In the sequels, Poe is simply orders of magnitude better than any FO pilot, and wipes out several of them every time he fires his lasers (contrast with even the best pilots/gunners in the originals having to fire some tracking shots for most kills).  I like Poe's character, and I like that he's a good pilot, but I dislike how the director chose to convey that fact.

Oh, right, the ship.  Eh, I could take it or leave it.  It seems like it's primarily designed for ground assault, but I suppose it might be able to bring something new.

What irks me is the fact that an imperial splinter faction, having bore witness to a single snub fighter destroying the death star, a single fighter destroying the executor, and a single fighter and light freighter destroying the ds2, has learned nothing from those experiences  or updated it’s design philosophy. “Make it flat so it’s easier for poe to take out the pt defense” lol what a joke. 

1 hour ago, Belisarius09 said:

What irks me is the fact that an imperial splinter faction, having bore witness to a single snub fighter destroying the death star, a single fighter destroying the executor, and a single fighter and light freighter destroying the ds2, has learned nothing from those experiences  or updated it’s design philosophy. “Make it flat so it’s easier for poe to take out the pt defense” lol what a joke. 

"We're making our attack on the remnant of the Resistance and can expect that they'll fight to the last, knowing that they'll receive no quarter.  So, whatever you do, don't deploy any fighter protection, and keep our fleet spaced far enough apart that every ship is out of range of all other ships' anti-squadron armaments."

It's like if the America fought in WW2 with no aircraft carriers and no destroyers. 

I certainly don't disagree with either of your broader points*. All I would say is that Star Wars has a history of conveniently letting the good guys better the odds. If it was the opposite, there would be no story. 😉 

*Just so it's clear, I agree that the scene is very poorly written. There are ways to write the same outcome so that it would be more believable. I think The Last Jedi is strongest where it concerns Rey, Kylo and Luke (I think this may be a minority opinion, at least around here). Everything else falls quite short.

17 minutes ago, Rmcarrier1 said:

I certainly don't disagree with either of your broader points*. All I would say is that Star Wars has a history of conveniently letting the good guys better the odds. If it was the opposite, there would be no story. 😉 

*Just so it's clear, I agree that the scene is very poorly written. There are ways to write the same outcome so that it would be more believable. I think The Last Jedi is strongest where it concerns Rey, Kylo and Luke (I think this may be a minority opinion, at least around here). Everything else falls quite short.

It wasn't just TLJ, though.  In TFA, when the X-Wings show up on New Underworld Character's planet, Poe blows up a half dozen TIEs without effort.  In the original trilogy, yes, the good guys had luck against overwhelming odds, but we also got to see those odds take their toll, so it was more impressive when characters overcame them.  The sequels never really show the FO pilots as being even competent--much less good--so the effect is somewhat diminished.   Ultimately, the sequels' message comes across less "Poe is a great pilot" and more "Poe is the only pilot in the galaxy who hasn't been lobotomized."