Sign in to follow this  
Mimi61

Other Investigators for Dreamlands?

3 hours ago, C2K said:

I personally think he is guardian 0-5 and survivor 0-2.  Wild speculation because it looks like he is on the survivor card Close Call, and that sometimes means that investigator can use that card.  And if this is true, there would be a strong reason to use Tommy over Mark and Zoey.

That was my call too. We don’t have a guardian survivor yet and that would be a pretty good fit for him. 

3 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

I really want to play Peter Sylvestre with Tommy. 

Why? He doesn't benefit from the Agility and the willpower boost isn't worth the 2 exp compared to the other options. You want to keep Peter Sylvestre alive and in play; his value and utility is in the form of essentially unlimited horror soak. But Tommy benefits from letting assets be defeated. If you load Peter Sylvestre up with horror and defeat him, you've essentially wasted the card, whereas someone like Brother Xavier will benefit you for letting him be defeated.

He would benefit from the Leveled up version of Peter Sylvester, and his Elder sign ability would be able to move horror on to Peter . 

The real econly is in Leather Coat/Cherished Keepsake though.  Free soak items that constantly recur, give you two resources when they leave play. 

13 minutes ago, C2K said:

He would benefit from the Leveled up version of Peter Sylvester, and his Elder sign ability would be able to move horror on to Peter .

He'd get +1 Willpower, but that's not really worth the 2 exp and ally slot since that's also available from Brother Xavier for less exp and synergy with his kit.

Moving horror onto allies, sure, but he's going to be loaded with soak - there'll be many times when you'd rather put the horror onto someone like Xavier hoping the ally is defeated so you get the resource refund, and the response trigger. So very situational synergy with his Elder Sign effect...not really much of a selling-point.

16 hours ago, phillos said:

I got you covered.  Next theme is R'lyeh.

Investigators:

• Trish Scarborough - Guardian
  • Mike Mcglen - Rogue
  • Amanda Sharpe - Seeker
  • Silas Marsh - Survivor
  • Jacqueline Fine - Mystic

I was so hoping we'd get a surprise Bob Jenkins this cycle.  Oh well.

As the pattern has been 5-6-5-6-5, I think we'll be getting 6 investigators next time.  My breakdown is:

• Lily Chen - Guardian
  • Norman Withers - Seeker
  • Michael McGlen - Rogue
  • Sister Mary - Mystic
  • Wilson Richards - Survivor
  • Charlie Kane - Neutral

17 hours ago, cheapmate said:

So that's all 5 out in the open now:

Tommy, Mandy, Tony, Luke and Patrice

So now the discussion on the next "big" box investigators can begin!

Well the real trauma is that we have Final Hour along with expansions for the LCG, AH3, & MoM2 all on the horizon.  And we know who all of the investigators are!!!

I suspect we’ll get at least one more new investigator in four cycles.  They aren’t shy about adding new ones.  My guess would be a new Guardian or Rogue since I have a harder time filling those buckets with the remaining investigators.

15 hours ago, C2K said:

I disagree.  if he was just 0-5 guardian, he would be a weaker mark or zoey and wouldn't be worth playing over them.  

I personally think he is guardian 0-5 and survivor 0-2.  Wild speculation because it looks like he is on the survivor card Close Call, and that sometimes means that investigator can use that card.  And if this is true, there would be a strong reason to use Tommy over Mark and Zoey.

I'm thinking Lily will be our 0-5 Guardian 0-2 Survivor.  Although my reasoning is shaky.

Regardless, until we know the Dream-Eaters' deckbuilding rules, we're still missing 8 Dual-classers:

• Guardian sub-Survivor
  • Guardian sub-Mystic
  • Seeker sub-Rogue
  • Rogue sub-Seeker
  • Mystic sub-Rogue
  • Mystic sub-Seeker
  • Survivor sub-Mystic
  • Survivor sub-Seeker

Do we think we're getting all 8 of them in the next 4 cycles?

Still missing my man Harvey. Someone mentioned on a previous post that FFG was less reluctant to have him as the 'go to' since he was a Chaosium invention...if he appears soon I'd be a happy camper. Maybe for a Nyarlathotep cycle, if the Guardians and various other expansions haven't sated that itch yet. 

Thematically I was hoping for a different mix with the Dream Weavers. Patrice and Luke I can see, even Mandy...but thought Vincent would be a fit as Guardian here.

1 hour ago, Duciris said:

Regardless, until we know the Dream-Eaters' deckbuilding rules, we're still missing 8 Dual-classers:

• Guardian sub-Survivor
  • Guardian sub-Mystic
  • Seeker sub-Rogue
  • Rogue sub-Seeker
  • Mystic sub-Rogue
  • Mystic sub-Seeker
  • Survivor sub-Mystic
  • Survivor sub-Seeker

Do we think we're getting all 8 of them in the next 4 cycles?

I feel like this speculation has occurred before in other threads, but my random guesses from existing investigators in other games:

• Guardian sub-Survivor = Wilson Richards (Handyman), Vincent Lee (Doctor), Hank Samson (Farmhand)
  • Guardian sub-Mystic = ??? (Possibly Sister Mary - Nun?  Kind of like a reverse Diana Stanley?)
  • Seeker sub-Rogue = Monterey Jack (Archaeologist), Darrell Simmons (Photographer)
  • Rogue sub-Seeker = Trish Scarborough (Spy)
  • Mystic sub-Rogue = Dexter Drake (Magician)
  • Mystic sub-Seeker = Jacqueline Fine (Psychic) or Harvey Walters (Professor)
  • Survivor sub-Mystic = Sister Mary (Nun)
  • Survivor sub-Seeker = Gloria Goldberg (Writer)

7 hours ago, Allonym said:

He'd get +1 Willpower, but that's not really worth the 2 exp and ally slot since that's also available from Brother Xavier for less exp and synergy with his kit.

Moving horror onto allies, sure, but he's going to be loaded with soak - there'll be many times when you'd rather put the horror onto someone like Xavier hoping the ally is defeated so you get the resource refund, and the response trigger. So very situational synergy with his Elder Sign effect...not really much of a selling-point.

What about Charisma with the new power couple Peter and Jessica? 

43 minutes ago, Faranim said:

I feel like this speculation has occurred before in other threads, but my random guesses from existing investigators in other games:

• Guardian sub-Survivor = Wilson Richards (Handyman), Vincent Lee (Doctor), Hank Samson (Farmhand)
  • Guardian sub-Mystic = ??? (Possibly Sister Mary - Nun?  Kind of like a reverse Diana Stanley?)
  • Seeker sub-Rogue = Monterey Jack (Archaeologist), Darrell Simmons (Photographer)
  • Rogue sub-Seeker = Trish Scarborough (Spy)
  • Mystic sub-Rogue = Dexter Drake (Magician)
  • Mystic sub-Seeker = Jacqueline Fine (Psychic) or Harvey Walters (Professor)
  • Survivor sub-Mystic = Sister Mary (Nun)
  • Survivor sub-Seeker = Gloria Goldberg (Writer)

What about Lily? 

Is there a chance we may get more builds like Norman? Starting out as one class and really ending up as another? Anyone that lends themselves to that kind of progression? 

Edited by Mimi61

41 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

What about Charisma with the new power couple Peter and Jessica? 

Jessica is a maybe but like...what's the benefit compared to Beat Cop (2) and Brother Xavier? The Beat Cop and Xavier give you extra damage and synergise directly with Tommy's investigator ability, Peter Sylvestre and Jessica Hyde have anti-synergy with Tommy's ability.

Guardian has a huge selection of excellent allies, and Tommy rather uniquely doesn't particularly care about the otherwise-powerful Peter Sylvestre.

Edited by Allonym

I agree I think.  It really feels like Tommy wants disposable allies and assets to capitalize on his ability.  Ones that move in and out quickly so he's not caught out by his weakness and he keeps the resources flowing.  Guardian allies foot this bill so it seems he mostly wants to gravitate toward those allies.  Preferably he wants ones that cost less than or equal to their total soak and/or give some benefit when they are defeated.  This big issue with running many cards like Beat Cop and Something Worth Fighting For is that they are expensive and Guardians traditionally have the hardest time generating resources.  Tommy gets around that issue right at level 0 so that's a pretty exciting benefit to build around.

Pete S. while great is kinda anti-synergistic with Tommy's benefit since Pete S wants to stay around as long as possible.  The only part of Tommy's design that suggests Pete S. is worth taking is his Elder Sign ability, but I wouldn't build a deck around an Elder Sign ability unless someone in the team was running a janky Father Mateo deck or something.

I'm kinda hoping we see some leveled up form of Guard Dog since that seems like a nice fit for Tommy.  Maybe another higher variant of Beat Cop to see what a more powerful version of that guy could look like.

Edited by phillos

15 minutes ago, Allonym said:

Jessica is a maybe but like...what's the benefit compared to Beat Cop (2) and Brother Xavier? The Beat Cop and Xavier give you extra damage and synergise directly with Tommy's investigator ability, Peter Sylvestre and Jessica Hyde have anti-synergy with Tommy's ability.

Guardian has a huge selection of excellent allies, and Tommy rather uniquely doesn't particularly care about the otherwise-overpowered Peter Sylvestre.

Point taken!

6 hours ago, Duciris said:

As the pattern has been 5-6-5-6-5, I think we'll be getting 6 investigators next time.  My breakdown is:

• Lily Chen - Guardian
  • Norman Withers - Seeker
  • Michael McGlen - Rogue
  • Sister Mary - Mystic
  • Wilson Richards - Survivor
  • Charlie Kane - Neutral

I still think Charlie will be a rogue, though him being the 6th investigator is not out of the realms of possiblity.  

37 minutes ago, Mimi61 said:

Is there a chance we may get more builds like Norman? Starting out as one class and really ending up as another? Anyone that lends themselves to that kind of progression? 

Maybe something like:

Amanda Sharpe the Student could start out as Survivor and upgrade into Seeker as she becomes more academic.

Daniela Reyes the Mechanic could start as a Rogue and upgrade into Guardian as she goes from being a rough-and-tumble fast-living womaniser to a tough defender with upgrade cards.

Sister Mary the Nun could start as a Mystic (after all, Father Mateo is a mystic and she starts with 2 spells in Arkham 2e) and upgrade into Survivor where all the luck-manipulation effects and Blessed cards may represent the touch of a higher power.

You could mix some of those around of course. And I'm not saying "this is what these investigators will be", merely that these might lend themselves to that format.

I think Guard dog might be better for Tommy than Brother Xavier.  I feel like Brother Xavier is just way too expensive unless you find a way to have him absorb everything.  It might even take too long.  You need cheap damage soaks that will either pay for themselves or grant you more than you invested if you want to use Tommy's ability economically. 

I am betting he won't have access to Survivor.  Most of the Guardian cards with health/sanity have a 1:1 cost to health/sanity with 3 or so that have 1 more health/sanity than cost.  Survivors, on the other hand have:

AHC01_72.jpgAHC12_114.jpgAHC33_236.jpg

Which, if you play them with a 2 damage/horror monster on you, it's a 2 resource action.

Meanwhile, he's not getting level 3 Mystics, but if he did:

AHC16_271.jpg

0-Level Seeker, though, would net him:

AHC08_302.jpg

Regardless of his deckbuilding, if you think the XP is worth it, I'm sure he'll have access to:

AHC01_94.jpgAHC01_95.jpg

I agree about Brother X since usually I wanna time when Brother X is defeated to maximize his benefit.  He's not anti-synergistic, but he does feel slightly less optimal than Tommy's other Guardian options.  Feels like Tommy would rather have a Beat Cop or Guard Dog that sort of want to force themselves off the table to capitalize on their abilities.  Also he wants Something Worth Fighting For since those allies don't really help you in the horror department.

I also had the though that the neutral soak assets might be worth playing with him.  Bullet Proof Vest is pretty thematic.  If he can take Survivor though those assets are kinda crazy for him.  If he can take Scavenging or Resourceful it makes them even more crazy.  Survivor isn't a completely un-thematic pairing for Tommy.  Actually that might be the most thematic of the pairings.  Maybe Seeker makes sense, but he is a Rookie Cop and not a Detective.  So I can see him being less sleuth-y.  that said the academic army style cards might be worth including if he can have Seeker cards since thye come out, give a benefit and then can be killed off.  Though making Tommy a Guardian/sub Seeker makes his too similar to Roland and Joe IMO.

Edited by phillos