Wazat

Snap Shot & Foresight Questions & Strategies Thread

Snap Shot in 1E generated a lot of questions, so I wrote a pretty long FAQ for it.  I've now done the same for the new version, which you can read here.  For Foresight, a similar FAQ is here.  Please let me know if I missed something or got something wrong, or if you have additional questions.  Hopefully it's a helpful read!

591666576_SnapShotFAQ.gif.5d6c3f67f73b77ae0d1ae8e8339f2d85.gif1188606055_ForesightFAQ.png.453db272bbb9f67b067368d59af0acc4.png

For Snap Shot, I like the change to range 2, and the much-simplified wording.  First thing that excites me is Torani, as her ability causes all sorts of angst for swarms and sometimes fragile aces.  The threat of a Snap Shot + railgun when almost no one has tokens could produce some very cagey movement from opponents, and I want to figure out ways to capitalize on that.  It will likely just be casual jank, but that's my jam!

A few A-Wings (RZ-1 or 2) with Juke + Snap Shot sounds fun too.  Interesting that the Nantex can do the same!

What Snap Shot or Foresight strategy has you excited?

Snap's got three core uses:

• Area control: make opponents nervous about their movements and hopefully trigger mistakes you can exploit.  They're pretty exposed during activation, usually lacking tokens and other defenses unless they have force.  Free snap damage can add up and they don't want to give you free hits, or lose a ship early, due to a bad approach.  Try to predict how they'll react (charge in for the damage, slow-roll, turn away, etc) and be ready to exploit that.
  • Exhaust resources: if you never deal a single point of snap shot damage, but the opponent is spending Force or other resources to avoid the damage, then that's a resource they won't have when they attack your team and when you make your standard attacks.
  • Apply secondary abilities: Apply some pilot or card ability that exploits the free during-activation attack.  I'm especially fond of Captain Seevor, who will jam the target even if he misses.  He's cheap and this ability really makes some ships nervous, because they need their locks or green tokens.  I've been meaning to try a jank list with Torani and a Shadow Caster at some point.

To help your scheming and spark ideas, here's a list of "interesting combos" I've collected:

Legend: Rebel - Empire - Scum - Resistance - FO - Republic - Separatist - Generic

Roll an additional red die

• Graz: If you're behind them
  • Gideon Hask: if they're already damaged
  • Scourge Skutu: If they're in your bullseye
  • Pure Sabacc: If you're not too damaged
  • Ahhav: If they're larger than you
  • Trick Shot: if obstructed (and only possible on the Nantex, RZ-1, and RZ-2 A-Wings... and they may prefer Juke or something cheap)

They roll fewer defense dice, or you mess with their dice

• Wedge Antilles: -1 defense dice
  • Outmaneuver: -1 defense dice if you're out of their firing arc (only possible on the Nantex, RZ-1, and RZ-2 A-Wings)
  • Joy Rekkoff: -1 defense dice.  Have to spend a charge from your torpedo though
  • Juke: If you're evading, flip an evade result to a focus when most ships don't have the dice mods to deal with that. (only possible on the Nantex, RZ-1, and RZ-2 A-Wings though)
  • Blackout: If obstructed, -2 defense (so net -1 after obstruction).  Though Blackout should always equip Trick Shot or some other talent; Snap Shot is not well-used on him.
  • Outrider: If obstructed, -1 defense dice (canceling the obstruction bonus).  Again, you'll probably want Trick Shot instead.
  • Zuckuss (crew): Stress yourself to make them reroll a defense die.
  • 4-LOM (crew): take 2 ion tokens to name a token type they can't spend.  Uncommon to have tokens though.  I guess if you know you're hunting TIE Defenders or HWKs...?

Whether you hit or miss, apply a token to target, gain a token, take an action, deal extra damage, etc

• Captain Seevor: here buddy, have a jam token 
  • Torani Kulda: railgun foes down your bullseye after the snap shot, when foes probably lack the tokens to sacrifice to avoid that damage.  Nasty anti-swarm technique.
  • Airen Cracken: Nearby ally gets to perform a red action
  • Turr Phennir: Perform a boost or roll action, even if you are stressed.  You could then link into a boost or roll with the ship ability if you're not already stressed, so this is cool for repositioning, though hard to plan for.
  • Colonel Vessery: Lock the defender if they're already locked by someone else.  Normally Vessery gets this anyway, but because you're locking so early, you could have the ally spend their lock (or move it to another target) before Vessery's usual shot and he's fine.
  • Axe: Pass a green token to a buddy, assuming you have one (a green token and a buddy; sorry lonely people)
  • Tucker: Tucker shouldn't be the one with snap shot in this case; he gets to take a focus action when his buddy shoots, so snap shot is good on his wingman.  Particularly if you get a snap shot before Tucker's action, that opens up his Activation choices.
  • Synchronized Console: Pass a lock around to other Synchronized Console users.  (I struggle to see how this would be exciting, but maybe there's some cool potential somewhere)
  • Hotshot Gunner: If they somehow have a focus token (e.g. Advanced Sensors, Moldy Crow), they'll lose it after this attack.  Quite niche.

Apply an effect if you hit

• Shadow Caster: tractor them (if your mobile arc is aligned)
  • Whisper: gain an evade token
  • Berwer Kret: you and other calculate buddies that have the target locked can perform a red calculate action.  Also can combine with a 2nd elite.
  • Rexler Brath: If you're evading, expose one of their damage cards
  • Lieutenant Bastian: When a ship at range 1-2 is dealt a damage card by any means, he can lock it.  So whether Bastian or an ally has snap shot, he has the chance to get a free lock during Activation.  Just need to dig through that shield first...

Apply an effect if you miss

• Clone Commander Cody: If you missed without blanking out (they neutralized hits/crits with evades), they get a strain token.  And this is a good time to strain them, since they've already moved and it's pre-combat.
  • Laetin A'shera: Gain an evade token for missing?  Missing with an unmodifiable 2-dice attack?  Sign me up!

Opponent's Dice cannot be modified

This may not seem valuable since most foes don't have tokens yet, but it's useful against ships with Full Throttle and Force, etc.  Those are in the meta right now, but it's still a bit niche.

• Midnight: If you have them locked
  • Dineé Ellberger: only if your speeds match
  • Padme Amidala: restrict those jedi to only modding one of their focus results (but that's probably all they need anyway)
  • Lieutenant Kestal: You need to spend a focus token, but doing so eliminates the dice they'd want to mod

Other

• Krassis Trelix: Fire Snap Shot backwards.  You're able to overwatch in both directions!

Foresight

There aren't as many combos for Foresight, simply because there's relatively few force users.

• Count Dooku (Sith Infiltrator): If the Foresight hits, get a free action.

I'm impressed at how well-represented Scum and Empire are, followed by Republic & Separatist.

Also I should note, firing Snap Shot won't let you trigger any "bonus attack" effects like IG-88B or Bossk (gunner), so you won't find such cards in the list above.  That's because Snap Shot is itself a bonus attack, and you only get one bonus attack per round.  So IG-88B cannot fire Snap Shot, miss, and then use its ability to fire Tractor Beam, for example.  Keep that in mind for ships like Dengar or Quickdraw, who would prefer to use their bonus attack for something stronger!  Again, please read the FAQ; it'll nip a lot of mistakes in the bud.

I also want to point out that there's a difference between increasing/decreasing the number of dice to be rolled (which is not dice modification) and adding a result after dice have been rolled (which is dice modification).  Fearless is dice modification (it adds a hit result), while Graz is not (it adds a die to the pool before rolling dice).  This comes up a lot, so make sure to read the FAQ!

Edited by Wazat
Fixing errors

Excited? Not really, though I am liking what it looks to me to open up options wise. Frankly it feels a bit like bullseye effects and devices in that it'll probably be primarily an area denial effect. Not a bad thing, and I'm not going to complain when the occasional doubletap does trigger. :)

Edited by Hiemfire

A few thoughts:

Technically the effect triggers each time an opponent ends their movement even if they're across the board, granting you the opportunity to make an attack. But if the opponent lands outside of range 2 or outside of arc, nothing happens because you cannot target the ship with this weapon.

I know this was true in 1e, but is it relevant to 2e?  I can't think of any triggers at an opportunity to attack (like the TFA version of Blinded Pilot), and it almost might be confusing to leave it in the FAQ.

//

An interesting effect worth mentioning might be that spending dice results is modification.  As such, Thane Kyrell with Snap Shot couldn't spend one of his crit, hit, or eye results to expose an enemy damage card.  Optimized Prototype from Krennic is already covered, since that only works when performing a primary attack.

To that end, the section on what A-Wings might want to do with Snap Shot includes Crack Shot, which is also primary attacks only.  They might both be good on the same ship, but they don't interact with each other.

//

One interesting thing: It has the ordnance icon, which will prevent range bonuses from being added.  There currently aren't effects where that's relevant, but it's interesting to me.

//

Also, the entry on Whisper is 1e accurate/2e inaccurate.  She gains an Evade token in 2nd Edition, not a Focus token.

//

As to cool tricks, Krassis Trelix!  Snap Shot can be used in his rear arc, as well.

Edited by theBitterFig

5 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

A few thoughts:

I know this was true in 1e, but is it relevant to 2e?  I can't think of any triggers at an opportunity to attack (like the TFA version of Blinded Pilot), and it almost might be confusing to leave it in the FAQ.

//

An interesting effect worth mentioning might be that spending dice results is modification.  As such, Thane Kyrell with Snap Shot couldn't spend one of his crit, hit, or eye results to expose an enemy damage card.  Optimized Prototype from Krennic is already covered, since that only works when performing a primary attack.

To that end, the section on what A-Wings might want to do with Snap Shot includes Crack Shot, which is also primary attacks only.  They might both be good on the same ship, but they don't interact with each other.

//

One interesting thing: It has the ordnance icon, which will prevent range bonuses from being added.  There currently aren't effects where that's relevant, but it's interesting to me.

//

Also, the entry on Whisper is 1e accurate/2e inaccurate.  She gains an Evade token in 2nd Edition, not a Focus token.

//

As to cool tricks, Krassis Trelix!  Snap Shot can be used in his rear arc, as well.

Awesome, thank you!  I've fixed problems, reworded the trigger language, and I can't believe I forgot Krassis!

7 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Technically the effect triggers each time an opponent ends their movement even if they're across the board, granting you the opportunity to make an attack. But if the opponent lands outside of range 2 or outside of arc, nothing happens because you cannot target the ship with this weapon.

This has caught my interest. Is it true? Yes. Does it allow you to measure ranges each time the enemy moves? Yes. Is it useful? Now, I'm not entirely sure.

If you've already moved, there's not much you can do with the range information you can acquire, sans high ini coordination shenanigans. 

I've you're only about to move, you'll know the range an enemy ended up at from your starting position. This one is a tad better. If you know manouvre to range ratio by heart, at least. 

However, giving up to temptation might also be a disadvantage. Measuring against an ace which really wants to set up an R3 engagement and giving him the precious information may be a difference between facing reposition and facing additional attack modifier. 

A gimmick to be sure, but an interesting one.

1 hour ago, Ryfterek said:

Is it true? Yes. Does it allow you to measure ranges each time the enemy moves? Yes. Is it useful? Now, I'm not entirely sure.

It may or may not be - even if you've already moved, other ships in your squad may not have. As noted, it does also 'warn' an enemy ship if they need to boost to get to range 1 (or whatever), so the information is double-edged. But you decide if it's revealed, so I guess it's probably a (minor) advantage for you.

And yes, if first edition snap shot is anything to go by, its main advantage was always paired with 'if you hit' effects. Of course, with the stressbot/tactician gone, one obvious use has collapsed, but pairing it with Shadow Caster could be very unpleasant.

The comment about a forward-facing weapon is a useful one. You're probably not going to want to fire an unmodifiable 2-dice attack if you have any other option, but it does also 'fill in' an area of your engagement range against "if you are not in the enemy's arc" or for "if they are in your arc" type effects.

2 hours ago, Magnus Grendel said:

The comment about a forward-facing weapon is a useful one. You're probably not going to want to fire an unmodifiable 2-dice attack if you have any other option, but it does also 'fill in' an area of your engagement range against "if you are not in the enemy's arc" or for "if they are in your arc" type effects.

No, special weapons do not give an extra firing arc.
The turrets are the only one giving an extra arc because of the turret arc indicator.

Regarding the timing window, where does Fine-Tuned Controls, Pattern Analyzer, Afterburners and other item that allow reposition after a maneuver is executed fit in? All are triggered after a maneuver is executed and added to the stack of triggers. Do we go by first player for whose trigger goes first? If Snap Shot is last on the stack, can you use Fine Tuned to boost in to range 1 or barrel roll out to range 3?

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

Regarding the timing window, where does Fine-Tuned Controls, Pattern Analyzer, Afterburners and other item that allow reposition after a maneuver is executed fit in? All are triggered after a maneuver is executed and added to the stack of triggers. Do we go by first player for whose trigger goes first? If Snap Shot is last on the stack, can you use Fine Tuned to boost in to range 1 or barrel roll out to range 3?

PA does not trigger when a maneuver is completed. It triggers before the check stress step which is a part of it.

1 hour ago, 5050Saint said:

Player order ought to be the determining factor, since there's no distinction made between whether or not abilities perform attacks, except in the Aftermath step.

"If both players have abilities that triggered from the same event, the abilities are added to the ability queue in player order." (Ability Queue, RR 1.04, p. 3).

As such, I think Snap Shots could be avoided depending on timing.  If Snap Shot had the first player, and Anakin had second Player, Anakin couldn't Fine-Tuned Controls out.  If Anakin was first player, I think he could FTC out of Range 2 and arc.

Relatedly, suppose Anakin with First Player boosts from Range 3 into Range 2 of a Snap Shot ship.  I think Snap Shot gets to attack.  If we'll allow Anakin with First Player to move out and avoid the attack, I think we need to allow an Anakin with First Player to get attacked if they move in with FTC.  If Snap Shot is second player, Anakin could boost into Range 2 and be safe.

//

Interesting note, Pattern Analyzer doesn't have the same trigger as Fine-Tuned Controls or Afterburners.  It happens before the Check Pilot Stress step, thus before the "execute a maneuver" trigger.  As such, regardless of Player Order, I think it happens first.

I'll add also: this is kind of a broader question: when is range measured for abilities: at time of trigger, or at time of resolution?  It shows up a bunch with Anakin's pilot ability and Afterburners, and R4-P44, and so forth.  I don't think there's a general answer, and either way (measure at entering ability queue, measuring at resolving the ability) can sometimes lead to a silly situation.

Does this bonus attack happen immediately once triggered or during the aftermath step of the normal attack phase?

per the rules reference: “If a card instructs a ship to perform a bonus attack, it performs an additional attack during the Aftermath step.”

38 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Does this bonus attack happen immediately once triggered or during the aftermath step of the normal attack phase?

per the rules reference: “If a card instructs a ship to perform a bonus attack, it performs an additional attack during the Aftermath step.”

That would only concern a bonus attack that triggers during another attack.
Otherwize that make no sens, this step does exist in the context of Snap Shot.

Not saying your logic is wrong, but since Snap Shot doesn’t say “immediately” then the actual attack would not happen until the next aftermath step. That would typically be after the ship attacks in that phase.

So, Snap Shot triggers the Bonus Attack.  But that subsequent Bonus attack won’t be resolved until the Aftermath step of his normal attack for the round 

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Not saying your logic is wrong, but since Snap Shot doesn’t say “immediately” then the actual attack would not happen until the next aftermath step. That would typically be after the ship attacks in that phase.

So, Snap Shot triggers the Bonus Attack.  But that subsequent Bonus attack won’t be resolved until the Aftermath step of his normal attack for the round 

From the Timing section of the Rules Reference:

• After: The effect resolves immediately following the timing specified.

52 minutes ago, Stubby said:

10 minutes ago, NerroSama said:

That would only concern a bonus attack that triggers during another attack.
Otherwize that make no sens, this step does exist in the context of Snap Shot.

@Stubby As NerroSama and theBitterFig said, bonus attacks happen immediately unless they were triggered during an attack with an "after attacking" or "after defending" trigger, in which case they have special resolution rules, allowing any non-bonus-attack effects to resolve first, like the stress from Chancellor Palpatine etc.  After any non-bonus-attack effects resolve, you do the bonus attacks.  This all happens now; it doesn't wait until an entirely different phase, that's just silly.  If the Snap Shot triggers any counter-attacks (e.g. Quickdraw), that's when we care about the special after-attack resolution.  Those bonus attacks still happen during activation (none of these attacks wait until much later; the resolve in the ability queue before moving forward).

Also it's worth noting that this is not the first effect in the game to grant bonus attacks during Activation: Quickdraw and Jostero have been around for a while, and no one is delaying their attacks until the ship engages and finishes its shot.  All of this is already well-established and well-understood.

I want to point out that Snap Shot adds an interesting twist to the initiative bid.  If Anakin and other aces are okay taking Snap Shots then they should still give first player to their opponent.  But if the snap shots are a problem, either because they keep landing damage while you're tokenless or because there's nasty effects attached to the attack, then aces might want to go first simply to bail out of range 1 with Fine-Tuned Controls, Afterburners, etc.  That is, if the timing of range tests work the way I imagine.

@theBitterFig I see the problem.  It's very easy to interpret it either way, and this may be another thing we cannot resolve without FFG's response.

And unfortunately, FFG likes to leave such questions hanging because commitment is hard.  As a single guy I get it -- commitment is indeed hard -- but FFG, we're already in a relationship.  We've been together for years.  Can't we just talk this out?

FFG: *silence*

For my part, I believe you measure range at resolution only, particularly when range is measured within the steps of the effect being resolved, like an attack.

Trigger: "After an enemy ship executes a maneuver"

Effect: Shoot the dudes [paraphrased]

That trigger alone puts it in the queue.  Upon resolution, you then start following the steps of attempting an attack, bailing if the attack is illegal.  But you're already deep in resolution by the time range is checked (having started into the effect, performing an attack, whose first step is measuring range and arcs).

That does indeed create weirdness in the realm of consequences, but it at least makes sense to me in terms of the rules themselves.  But... I fear someone will have a very compelling argument for the other way to see it.  ;)

“If a card instructs a ship to perform a bonus attack, it performs an additional attack during the Aftermath step.”

This really feels to me like a horribly written rule.  A great many bonus attacks happen during the engagement phase.  If a bonus attack is triggered during or after an attack, moving the attack to the Aftermath step makes sense.  But that's also the *ONLY* kind of effect that this rule makes *ANY* sense for.  Attempting strict adherence to it kind of breaks the game, and causes a lot of confusion.

For example, Rebel Han Gunner and Corran Horn.  Normally, there won't be engagement at Init 7 or Init 0, so there can't be Aftermath steps, so these cards would not function, if we tried to shoehorn these into the Aftermath step.

Meanwhile, the rules specifically about the Aftermath step are written in such a way as to be mutually exclusive with the wording on Quickdraw, since they only specify "after defending" triggers, which QD technically isn't.  There's an old 1e ruling that pushed QD's bonus attack to the 1e equivalent of the Aftermath step.  I'm 100% convinced we should follow it, and have QD get their bonus attack in the Aftermath step.  However, Plasma Torpedoes and Concussion Missiles have on-hit effects which happen in the middle of an attack rather than in the Aftermath step, which muddies the waters when combined with the wording of the Aftermath.

Now, like most rules issues, these things are only a problem if we choose to break it.  Treat it like it works, and it works fine.  It's like Space Marine Orks. Their technology doesn't work, but they *believe* it works, and because all orks are psychic, it works for them.

43 minutes ago, Stubby said:

On top of what Heimfire said, "immediately" has never had a meaning in X-Wing.

2 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

Relatedly, suppose Anakin with First Player boosts from Range 3 into Range 2 of a Snap Shot ship.  I think Snap Shot gets to attack.  If we'll allow Anakin with First Player to move out and avoid the attack, I think we need to allow an Anakin with First Player to get attacked if they move in with FTC.  If Snap Shot is second player, Anakin could boost into Range 2 and be safe.

Oh, lordy. This talent is going to cause a slew of judge calls. It already needs a FAQ which, I suppose, is what this whole topic about, but I mean, FFG might need to put out a FAQ on it.

Oh man, you guys, you can put Torani, Krassis, and Ketsu with Shadow Caster into the same list, with 11 points to spare.  If Snap Shot is only 3 points, you can field all three with it!  If not, then you could drop the Shadow Caster pilot down to Sabine and probably still pull it off.  The jank is strong with this one!  ^_^

9 minutes ago, Sabre 7 said:

snapshot seevor anyone? 😁

I love it!  It's a cheap way to jam someone early in the round, and a good use of his elite slot (though so is Crack Shot).

I think I'd like to start a "After Attacking" category on the wiki, or perhaps just list pilots on the Snap Shot page who have an ability that synergizes well.  Shadow Caster, Torani, Captain Seevor... who else has really interesting interactions with Snap Shot?

Edit: Whisper, Airen Cracken, Count Dooku (no elite), Turr Phennir, maybe Berwer Kret (slots not yet known), Graz, Rexler Brath, sadly not Captain Rex (no elite), Wedge Antilles, Colonel Vessery, Ben Teene, perhaps Axe, Joy Rekkoff, perhaps Dineé Ellberger, Gideon and Scourge of course, Laetin A'shera...

Edited by Wazat