Hiemfire

X-Wing FFG Stream TODAY Aug 22 2019

55 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Agreed - there’s nothing to see here. It’s fine that it was a scenario in the box to give some players an official way to do what’s already been done by many.

But it was a pretty lame idea to showcase it the way they did - I turned it off already. No new content, no cool missions, nothing of note. I’m out. Hoping for the other ten missions in the box to be good.

Their intent was to showcase X-Wing as a multiplayer format. That is what they did. Yes, the fans made something like this at the start of 2nd, but it wasn't official and this can access an audience that may not have the game or be interested in 1v1 X-Wing.

With all respect it was YOU that did not check your expectations. You expected something more. You expected new content. You expected spoilers.

I'd be more sympathetic if they mentioned epic specifically or Wave 5 in the FFG live schedule...but they didn't: "X-Wing Multiplayer Showcase".

59 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

If a ship in a wing bumps, they instead attempt to execute the maneuver on the wing leader's dial, and then they're not in the wing anymore. Ships can join or leave a wing over the course of the game!

Ships can also voluntarily leave a wing. If a ship is at R1 of a wing leader, you can rejoin the wing, just snapping into position, which is SWEET.

Reposting. 

I like this a lot. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Bucknife said:

Reposting. 

I like this a lot. 

Yeah, it's pretty sweet. They said they can go back into formation (I guess in the System phase) even if it would be a totally impossible or ridiculous maneuver. The point is to simplify gameplay. I entirely approve of this mechanic. It's like docking to another small ship. It's awesome.

I also like the idea of Vader just totally ditching his wingmen to pull some stupid crazy stunt, then coming back and being all "where were we again?"

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I’m highly disappointed in this.

I wanted to see a thematic mission or something with new epic content. This is just the formalized version of a game we’ve all been playing homebrew of for a while.

And they didn’t even bother to use it as an opportunity to show us any new content.

Watching them hype ANYTHING that's not Standard play for a change is totally worth the price of admission IMHO.

I kinda feel like it might be the first time they talked to Xwing players about how they could have fun with their ships, instead of alluding to the new secrets that could be unlocked for metagalacticdomination, cuz you'll have fun with that.

I'm pretty hyped to hear about huge ships.  And megahyped that 2.0 is bringing this kind of XWM into the main.

Edited by Darth Meanie

I wonder how multiplayer and equal initiative pilots work...

Imagine six players, all with an Initiative 3 pilot. Who would go first?

And would the player order be the same between all rounds? This could be really disadvantageous for the last player in order, because that player would only shoot after all five other players...

8 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

I'm pretty hyped to hear about huge ships.  And megahyped that 2.0 is bringing this kind of XWM into the main.

This is what I was wanting to hear more about, and sounds like an upcoming stream will do that.

Perhaps I overreacted a tad... the game showed amounted to “hey look, official way to do what we’ve all been doing already” in a format that honestly isn’t all that appealing to me. I get it now and then, but I’ve never seen fur balls go any other way but “we gang up on him, then we fight amongst ourselves once he’s down”. Combined with the precedent that there’s always been *something* hidden in the stream, the let down was real.

They said multiplayer, and I expected the multiplayer mission they posted in the announcement article with objectives, etc. Now that would have been mega-hype.

I guess not everyone has a community who has given the fur ball a try though?

17 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Why would FFG continue with these streams if everyone reacted like you guys?!

To be honest, I don't care if they do streams like this at all.  It didn't really do much for me.  

Yeah, they are hyping non-death match X-wing, but will the video really make someone who has never tried it actually try it?  I would hope so, but I am guessing not. 

I get that they are purposefully NOT showing the wing tool or the huge ships as they want to drop those bombs later.  So, I should've just expected to be disappointed.  I just agree with the sentiment that most people have played this type of furball in the past and it's not much new.  

16 hours ago, drail14me said:

I’m happy to see FFG taking fan made formats and making them official. I hope to see more!! HotAC!! Mario Kart!! Make them official. 

They will never make Mario Kart official due to licencing issues.

17 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

I get it now and then, but I’ve never seen fur balls go any other way but “we gang up on him, then we fight amongst ourselves once he’s down”.

I do like that they bake in something so that the person in the lead is worth more points.   That makes it really be about taking out the leaders to get the points.  It also means if you are behind, you can come back by taking out the Ace.   So, I agree that that is pretty cool.   

16 hours ago, ClassicalMoser said:

If a ship in a wing bumps, they instead attempt to execute the maneuver on the wing leader's dial, and then they're not in the wing anymore. Ships can join or leave a wing over the course of the game!

Ships can also voluntarily leave a wing. If a ship is at R1 of a wing leader, you can rejoin the wing, just snapping into position, which is SWEET.

Oh, I am not sure if the Vader example works.  Can the Wing Leader jump out of the wing?  I am thinking not.   

5 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

I get that they are purposefully NOT showing the wing tool or the huge ships as they want to drop those bombs later. 

They did show the various wing tools, plus wing tokens, cards, etc. and they even explained a bit how wings work, how they moved, how ships can get in and out of a wing.

I now assumed as confirmed that wings are 6 small ships max, something I wanted to know to plan my purchases.

I found that the stream had a ton of info, even if I fast forwarded most of the battle. I would advice them to start the stream with quick rundown of what they are going to show.

1 hour ago, LUZ_TAK said:

I found that the stream had a ton of info, even if I fast forwarded most of the battle. I would advice them to start the stream with quick rundown of what they are going to show.

Do you know roughly at what point they talk about it?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

“hey look, official way to do what we’ve all been doing already”

I mean, lame, and yet not.

It's an official acknowledgement that some of us don't give a **** about standard.

3 hours ago, bartdevuyst said:

Imagine six players, all with an Initiative 3 pilot. Who would go first?

And would the player order be the same between all rounds? This could be really disadvantageous for the last player in order, because that player would only shoot after all five other players...

Assuming everyone played I6.

Personally, I would have a roll off each turn.  Use a d20 for a decent spread.  Maybe even ignore actual initiative to make each pilot more of the same "value."

1 hour ago, heychadwick said:

They will never make Mario Kart official due to licencing issues.

Well, they could with some changes.

The Resistance cartoon gives them the perfect chance to make a pseudo-MC with a SW theme.

Edited by Darth Meanie

2 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Oh, I am not sure if the Vader example works.  Can the Wing Leader jump out of the wing?  I am thinking not.   

Well you could just have all the wingmen jump out for a bit, which effectively does the same thing.

Maybe it's a bit silly and pointless though. Still, the fact they can just jump back in is pretty cool.

Finally see the video.

Look good, It reminds me most of my friday night game on my local gamestore when we want a fun game rather than standard game.

The box will be on my purchase list and most of us are positive about play others games modes.

Now we just need this and a season kit and finally I have a good reason to play more often. :)

3 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

<about Mario Kart>

Well, they could with some changes.

The Resistance cartoon gives them the perfect chance to make a pseudo-MC with a SW theme.

Yeah, they totally could make a racing mini game.  Wouldn't be Mario Kart or half as silly, but they could do something.  I'm fine with keeping Mario Kart on the side as I like the shells and packages and all that.

21 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Yeah, they totally could make a racing mini game.  

We are excited to announce a new competitive format for X-Wing: the miniatures game! Starting in 2020, competitive X-wing players will be able to play the "Now THIS is podracing!" format...