Sign in to follow this  
FatherTurin

Making Good On A Promise

I really like that FFG hasn't just used the original model, but that they've given the SSD completely new dimensions altogether.

A model of the originally-shaped SSD with a lengh of 60-something centimeters would have been less than 10 cm wide, which would have made it look super-flimsy next to an ISD.

The FFG version looks truly impressive next to an ISD even without casting a huge shadow as in The Empire Strikes Back.

swm20_preview2.jpg

swm20_preview1.jpg

The promotional pictures show the original model, the ship model does not. So what.

Suspension of disbelief works fine for me...

28 minutes ago, JadinED said:

I really like that FFG hasn't just used the original model, but that they've given the SSD completely new dimensions altogether.

A model of the originally-shaped SSD with a lengh of 60-something centimeters would have been less than 10 cm wide, which would have made it look super-flimsy next to an ISD.

The FFG version looks truly impressive next to an ISD even without casting a huge shadow as in The Empire Strikes Back.

So in a different thread I was asking about this exact thing. The Armada model of the SSD looked really off to me. It seemed way to wide for it's length. Guess I was right? I still don't like its proportions. I think it should have been slimmer.

5 hours ago, LordCola said:

So in a different thread I was asking about this exact thing. The Armada model of the SSD looked really off to me. It seemed way to wide for it's length. Guess I was right? I still don't like its proportions. I think it should have been slimmer.

The proportions match the original filming model. There have only been a couple SSDs over the years that look correct. Currently the only two are the Armada one and the Korbanth one.

4 minutes ago, RyonOlson said:

The proportions match the original filming model. There have only been a couple SSDs over the years that look correct. Currently the only two are the Armada one and the Korbanth one.

Interesting. Do you have a source for the dimensions of the filming model?

16 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

Yeah, when holding it and zooming it around the living room (because I am 37 going on 9) it definitely looks and feels right.

The wife was less than amused when I put on the imperial march and slowly started “flying” it towards her...

Try that when your just a couple months short of 50 and see what the wife does 🙄

12 minutes ago, Thrindal said:

Try that when your just a couple months short of 50 and see what the wife does 🙄

Supports you in the hobby you love? Loves you for being a nerd?

Oh wait, im sorry, i believe the appropriate TV response was "Hits you with a rolling pin and threatens to go to her mother's."

27 minutes ago, geek19 said:

Oh wait, im sorry, i believe the appropriate TV response was "Hits you with a rolling pin and threatens to go to her mother's."

Oh, she absolutely does love me for being a gigantic nerd.  She was just, quite literally, not amused at that particular moment.

Not every joke/comment about nerds and the women/men who love them is about some tired old stereotype about dismissive attitudes and the like.

Yep it’s a great model and the competitive versions seem to work well, 250 points allows a bit of a fleet build and the ship has that unstoppable  stream roller feel, yet actually be well balanced to both play and play against....

2 hours ago, geek19 said:

Nah I think she loves me for it although she is in no way a Star Wars fan.  She does humor me and goes to new movies when they come out.  That said I'm not a fan of many of her shows and we are fine with that.  We love each other for who each other is not because we are mirror images of each other...  That would be horrifying!