Sign in to follow this  
ObiWan

Obi-Wan

Posted (edited)

Obi-Wan and most jedi are excellent! Have a look at some recent List fortress entries for general ideas on the types of lists he works well in. 

Some notes:

• 7b Jedi do a huge amount of damage at Range1 ( its like a torp that never runs out of charges and is always near fully modified). 
  • If your not R1 it still regularly lets you throw down 3 hits at other ranges. Though you dont want to overspend those force charges on offense in the wrong moments. 
  • You genuinely dont want to reposition more than you "need" to even though Jedi dont restrict their dial in doing so youll drain your force. 
  • Jedi gradually become very slightly worse as you over leverage boost/roll, worst thing that will happen is you only have 1 force at the start of the next round. 
  • Even at 3 force if you dont manage your charges, those Jedi start to become normal hyper mobile Aces. 
  • Remember Obi is often your win condition, so maybe dont be super duper aggressive with him unless its safe or your sure you can regen back what you lose. 
  • Defending against multiple shots also kinda drains your force super quick ( obis ability helps here)...more importantly its 100% ok to use the Evade Action along with those force charges to increase his durability.
  • Gas Clouds and Rocks are your friend. Debri are not. 
  • Fine Tuned Controls allows you to disengage over rocks. This is pretty fundamental. Jedi pretty much always have an escape route regardless of rock position. Use that escape route. 
  • Jedi allow you to Target Lock often. Especially because Fine Tuned allows a boost "before" your normal action rather than the other way around. Makes range control substantially easier. 
  • Pretty sure the Win Condition with most jedi lists is typically running to time with the Jedi + Regen. 
  • That said there are other ways to play it differently, dont have to bring Regen. Checkout R2A6 and Afterburners. Doubling down on mobility and init is a legitimate strategy. 
  • Also on the regen thing, you dont have to 5k turn and keep fighting a joust with a limited force pool, if you lost some shields consider disengaging recharge a shield or two and your force.
  • Sorta depends on the board state though, you want to be able to regen back to full pts at the right time.
  • Thanks to the regen Obi is very durable, however he isnt a perfect tank. There are specific situations you dont want him to be in. R1 of 5 Dice Fully Modified is a good example. 
  • Even just Obi with CLT can be a powerful ship ( not as good as 7b, but fits well in some crazy lists...). Plays a bit differently than 7b and can roll its way out of trouble if on defense especially with the evade. 
  • Obi-Wans ability is a nice way to manage force charges, but its really the complete 66 pt base i5 7b ship that matters.
Edited by Boom Owl

Posted (edited)

In my experience, not *that* often, at least when Obi-Wan is spending for his own use.  Just like how most of the power of a Lock is in the first reroll (which makes Fire Control System pretty good), rolling only 1 eyeball--thus spending a force is the same as spending force-to-keep-focus kinda comes out in the wash.

But that's just Obi taking care of himself.

That's not a judgement on him, but that a lot of the time, that's how the dice work out.

Edited by theBitterFig

Wow! Great responses! Thanks all. 

The list I was thinking of is

ObiWan:  7b, sense

Wolffe: Palpatine, R5, Veteran tail gunner

Ahsoka: supernatural reflexes, CLT

seems like a team with good positioning and able to give the best positioned ships great mods

3 minutes ago, ObiWan said:

seems like a team with good positioning and able to give the best positioned ships great mods

Ashoka is really cool. Check out Mace Windu to. 

This is my favorite Obi Wan list right now, a couple of us locally came up with it as a variant of the Obi/ARCs list that's been pretty popular. The Sinker-based beef has a lot of early game strengths and then CLT Obi has good endgame by virtue of being harder to hit than 7B Obi.

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)    
    Calibrated Laser Targeting (4)   

"Sinker" (54)    
    Hull Upgrade (3)    

104th Battalion Pilot (42)    

Gold Squadron Trooper (25)    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Galactic Republic&d=v8ZsZ200Z278XWW200WY280XWWWW164Y341XWWWWY321XWY321XW&sn=Unnamed Squadron&obs=

FIVE CLT JEDI!

But yeah, Master Obi-Wan is amazing. I love him with CLT and R4-P17 : he always has a focus, even after a red (twice per game), and the CLT gives him a very actionnable focus result, since he can basically use a force as a focus, and still have that focus for defense.

//in my call for suggestions thread we're talking about N1s with Protons fueled by Obiwan. That sounds like a good list. That likely will use his ability a lot

6 hours ago, ObiWan said:

So I’m trying to get back into x wing and wondering how Obi-Wan is, I want to build a squad with him, Ashoka, and Wolffe. He has always been my favorite Star Wars character, does spending a force to give a focus come up often?

His ability generally triggers 0 times in my typical games, especially in a list with Anakin. 

Obiwan Ahsoka Wolffe sounds like an OK list. Obiwan's ability will rarely go off (maybe like once on Wolffe for defense on one die lol, pretty bad), Ahsoka isn't the premier choice because a list like this really wants the Jedi split up, not together. You can try it together with Ahsoka assisting, but Mace on the flank is theoretically easier and better imo. Or Plo Koon. She's the weakest link in this list imo, simply due to setup and flight pattern (Obi side, Wolf mid, other Jedi on other side)

If you fly Ahsoka together with Obiwan, you'll have a hard time if they try and joust your Jedi i think. you could consider Ahoksa with Wolffe, but I suspect Wolf doesn't need the help. He doesn't really care for a second action. 

Not a bad list. Just not the tier 1 list. Anakin Obi Wan Wolffe/arc is probably the best variant of that. And then I'd pick Mace or Plo Koon over Ahsoka. 
For a tier 2 list though, its quite decent. Ahsoka hits like a typical Jedi truck. 

If you really want to go thematic with these exact pilots, I'd consider using one of them as a support piece with Battle Med or something crazy and a 4th ship, play with blocking a lot and being tricky, and generally a better player and outfly your opponent with a jank tier3 list, which I bet could be strong enough to place into tier2. 

Background on me: I really tried Barriss 7B and Ahsoka 7B together with some support. Oh my gods. that was a BAD list. Awful pure awful. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ObiWan said:

So I’m trying to get back into x wing and wondering how Obi-Wan is, I want to build a squad with him, Ashoka, and Wolffe. He has always been my favorite Star Wars character, does spending a force to give a focus come up often?

Here I'd run this. I bet its about tier2, but I would be willing to bet on beating even a tier 1 list with this. 
I would highly consider running 2 Sense and removing Expert Handling + Pred Shot.

All your fav pilots. 
Sense + 4 ships gives you tons of chances to block Init6 aces. Ahsoka's ability gives you lots of chances of creating a great block. 
Both Ahsoka and Obiwan are squirrelly enough to dodge and get good shots. Wolf AND 7thFG boost your firepower up to medium high. 
Torrent is a decent blocker, filler and distraction for your other ships to go to work. 
Obiwan has R2 and is your endgame ace. If you clean up their ace and put Obiwan into the end game with Sense?? Wow. 

Early game firepower: Ok, blocking potential: excellent
mid-game mobility: Excellent
late-game superiority: Ok

“Wolffe” (50)
Expert Handling (4)
Seventh Fleet Gunner (9)

Ahsoka Tano (47)
Predictive Shot (1)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (2)

Obi-Wan Kenobi (47)
Sense (5)
R2 Astromech (6)
Calibrated Laser Targeting (4)

Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Hey forum, let's say Obiwan is attacking at R1 and is triggering 7FG. Does adding the CLT focus result count as rolling a maximum of 4 dice? Does it matter which way I chose to resolve these triggers also?

Edited by Blail Blerg

3 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

Hey forum, let's say Obiwan is attacking at R1 and is triggering 7FG. Does adding the CLT focus result count as rolling a maximum of 4 dice? Does it matter which way I chose to resolve these triggers also?

7FG triggers 1st, when it adds the dice to the pool for that 4 max. Then CLT adds the 5th result, after rolling.

It's neat.

I've used Obi-Wan a lot, possibly a bit obsessively.  His talent is snazzy but personally I only make use of it one or two times a game.  To me it's the the extra force token that makes him worth the three points over Plo Koon.  It helps get over the mental barrier against spending tokens allowing for certain force powers to be utilized while still keeping a nice cushion.  

10 hours ago, ObiWan said:

It's just my tastes, but I would flip configs for Obi-Wan and Asoka.  Obi-Wan will have a much easier time lining up a bullseye as well as sliding the fragile Aethersprite versions out of opposing arcs.  And just to toss this out there, give Lone Wolf Wolffe a go sometime.