Sign in to follow this  
Shadow345

Resistance Though

To be honest, I believe that the resistance and rebels have a lot in common. One of them is that they are the underdogs and may not have a lot of resources and look ragtag. So I think like with the first order, many of the rebel models can be repurposed to resistance. Of course, new units for variety are good. They freed the racing animals. I wonder how well those would work being put to use as war animals like the taun tauns and dewbacks....Would they be resistance or could they be put to use as a scum warbeast..?

3 hours ago, EVIL INC said:

To be honest, I believe that the resistance and rebels have a lot in common. One of them is that they are the underdogs and may not have a lot of resources and look ragtag. So I think like with the first order, many of the rebel models can be repurposed to resistance. Of course, new units for variety are good. They freed the racing animals. I wonder how well those would work being put to use as war animals like the taun tauns and dewbacks....Would they be resistance or could they be put to use as a scum warbeast..?

So, we free the Fathiers from servitude in the races at Canto Bight because cruelty to animals is bad, only to press them into service, running screaming into the face of this?

269f060e34d5c5ef2cabe111d69ee23c99a4663e

...now that's some next level Resistance SJW right there.

13 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

But Resistance? Crait Troopers?

There's also the Resistance Troopers that arrived with Leia at Takodona, and they have a very distinct look from OT Rebel Troopers and could probably justify getting red defense dice.

We're probably going to get at least another two or three different possible units in The Rise of Skywalker. Since it's being directed by JJ Abrams they'll probably be closer to the look we got in 7 instead of the Rebel redux Rian Johnson gave us.

Keep in mind that if you look at the OT before Return of the Jedi the Rebels would have only had the Fleet Troopers and Rebel Veterans. 

37 minutes ago, aniron said:

So, we free the Fathiers from servitude in the races at Canto Bight because cruelty to animals is bad, only to press them into service, running screaming into the face of this?

269f060e34d5c5ef2cabe111d69ee23c99a4663e

...now that's some next level Resistance SJW right there.

It's ok as long as they promise not to give them them the spur keyword.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, aniron said:

I don’t recall them taking any animals into battle with them. Or removing any from the planet. 

Edited by TauntaunScout

Hopefully we don't come to that. They still have so much to add from the original trilogy, games and books and now the prequels and the scum and mercenaries faction, that 1st order and rebel clones shouldn't make an appearance for years 

3 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Hopefully we don't come to that. They still have so much to add from the original trilogy, games and books and now the prequels and the scum and mercenaries faction, that 1st order and rebel clones shouldn't make an appearance for years 

I do truly believe they should introduce scum into legion.

10 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I disagree completely.  I'd rather see the Resistance and First Order over having a full blown scum faction.  

10 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

don’t recall them taking any animals into battle with them. Or removing any from the planet. 

However, there are new mounted creatures coming in the Rise of Skywalker - the Orbaks.   Horse like, tusked mounts that Finn and Jannah are riding - this makes them a possibility.

I’ve said it before, there are lots of ways that they can make the new factions feel different.   I'm still hoping that the republic faction proves to be different, with a focus on having more Jedi commanders and operatives for choices than other factions, but fewer corps options.  

The resistance could be designed differently than the corps options the rebels have.  Perhaps a higher bravery, lower unit count.   Give a new keyword like hit and run where after you attack you get a move action?   

Similarly First Order can get a new feel as well.  I don't understand the argument over the First Order stormtroopers being too similar to Empire Stormtroopers.   Couldn't the same be said of clonetroopers?  Look at the phase II clone it is very similar to the stormtrooper.  Vq7J16Q.jpg

So there is plenty of difference to me.  

If people can justify telling clones apart from empire stormtroopers, there is no reason that they wouldn't differentiate the First Order Stormtroopers.  

While yes, it is slightly annoying that have the factions (assuming First Order and Resistance become factions) have the same paint scheme, it is the nature of the setting.  

Back to the resistance, there is enough variety of corps.  Even if you combine the looks of the resistance troopers from the Last Jedi, and the style from Crait, a very good choice would be to use the pilot uniforms as a second Corps option.   Visually there is enough variety, even now, and likely more after the Rise of Skywalker comes out.   But even with the ability to do it now, it makes sense to wait until after the new movie to release any new factions.   

1 hour ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I disagree completely.  I'd rather see the Resistance and First Order over having a full blown scum faction.  

However, there are new mounted creatures coming in the Rise of Skywalker - the Orbaks.   Horse like, tusked mounts that Finn and Jannah are riding - this makes them a possibility.

I’ve said it before, there are lots of ways that they can make the new factions feel different.   I'm still hoping that the republic faction proves to be different, with a focus on having more Jedi commanders and operatives for choices than other factions, but fewer corps options.  

The resistance could be designed differently than the corps options the rebels have.  Perhaps a higher bravery, lower unit count.   Give a new keyword like hit and run where after you attack you get a move action?   

Similarly First Order can get a new feel as well.  I don't understand the argument over the First Order stormtroopers being too similar to Empire Stormtroopers.   Couldn't the same be said of clonetroopers?  Look at the phase II clone it is very similar to the stormtrooper.  Vq7J16Q.jpg

So there is plenty of difference to me.  

If people can justify telling clones apart from empire stormtroopers, there is no reason that they wouldn't differentiate the First Order Stormtroopers.  

While yes, it is slightly annoying that have the factions (assuming First Order and Resistance become factions) have the same paint scheme, it is the nature of the setting.  

Back to the resistance, there is enough variety of corps.  Even if you combine the looks of the resistance troopers from the Last Jedi, and the style from Crait, a very good choice would be to use the pilot uniforms as a second Corps option.   Visually there is enough variety, even now, and likely more after the Rise of Skywalker comes out.   But even with the ability to do it now, it makes sense to wait until after the new movie to release any new factions.   

The new movies are complete ripoffs of the originals. Resistance is the Rebellion. They offer nothing new as far as the game is concerned, just as the 1st order is the Empire. Thwir aesthetic is even identical. Scum and Mercs offer a different aesthetic and open a whole different playstyle. The game doesn't need two white armored troops in space factions just like it doesn't need another ragtag rebel faction where the only discernable difference is Poe and Rey instead of Luke and Jyn.  Shoot, even the characters are the same. Han Leia Chewie Luke. Septagenarian vs youngerish.

It's a fair point that first order stormtrooper armor looks different from empire stormtroopers, but I think the bigger issue is how do the armies differ mechanically? The answer to me really is not that much. Sure they have some different heavy weapons, no dlt and more use of flamethrowers, but that's about it. Their walker is just a reskin of the AT-ST, their units are generally equivalent to some sort of trooper the empire has perhaps with the exception of upcoming sith troopers in episode 9. Exactly the same case for the resistance, it's the rebel alliance with some reskins and some new blasters. There are still plenty of units to draw on for galactic civil war from other source material outside the movies, and I'd much rather have more galactic civil war units that anything from the new movies. 

On a scum faction, given legion so far as followed a mirrored release system for 2 factions I find it hard to see a scum faction happening, though things certainly could change and that could happen. 

30 minutes ago, Asvaldir said:

On a scum faction, given legion so far as followed a mirrored release system for 2 factions I find it hard to see a scum faction happening, though things certainly could change and that could happen. 

The whole first movie was a reskin of the original trilogy.  If you miniaturize those helmets - they all look the same on a table. I've never looked at a model close enough to see what weapon they are holding.  The whole army is (by design) a carbon copy of the Empire.  The Resistance is exactly the same as the Rebellion (on purpose) They even have the same characters!  Ask anyone who plays x-wing how many millenium falcons they have and besides the cardboard accessories, they are identical except the dish that gets broken off.

At some point, FFG will have to slow the breakneck pace that they are releasing stuff for Legion. We're about to see a serious slow down for Original Trilogy figures (like down to 2-3 each faction next year 1 upgrade pack for the troopers and probably another operative and commander. LANDO!)  They will focus on Prequel releases all next year to get them caught up.  Then Prequel stuff will start to trickle down at which point a 5th faction could be the focus.  They can still release stuff every month (if they want) but they don't have to break their backs doing it because it will be Scum this, Merc that, Clown Wars commanders and Upgrade packs, Rancor and Gamorrean Guards, Then Hondo for everyone, etc.  They can slow down the amount of work that has to be done because they are just designing one new faction instead of 2 but can still release at the same rate.  They'll have 5 fully functioning factions that all have a different feel and theme about them.  They can still circle back and pump up interest in the original factions with Commander and other upgrade packs, a new unit here and there, etc.  If they release the carbon copy Resistance and First Order, the game is over, man. 

I think we are a long way off from ffg slowing down legion releases. It's taken what, 2ish years to reach the current number of units for galactic civil war factions? We can certainly expect an equal number of different units for clone wars factions, and with the occasional release mixed in there for the old factions,  that leaves at least 2 years of the same pace of releases to get clone wars factions fully fleshed out. After that point, sure they there'd be space for a scum faction to be released, but if I had to bet I'd put money down on first order and resistance. I don't want it, but given the cash cow potential from the movies and the potential to draw in new fans who like the new movies, I think that's the direction I'll go. I doubt that will be game over though, it will be highly controversial, some will oppose it including myself, some will welcome it but regardless we can all play on with our prefered factions.  

While I totally disagree with adding in first order and resistance over scum, Scum can be used in all 3 time eras after all), I do agree that resistance and order could differ mechanically...and visually. Why not add in more alien squads? After all, I am sure that many of the planets have people other than humans. Many of these could form armies and squads of their own that feel comfortable banding together. As it is now, we see a token one popped in a squads here and there. The upcoming add on to squads has a small variety of examples. Whats to stop them from having full squads. Look at admiral ackbar. His ship has a full compliment of guys from his home world. Different ones of these could bring their own abilities. Say, the hammer head guys could be amphibious but while mixed in with humans, they could not employ the ability. There could be other examples.

3 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Similarly First Order can get a new feel as well.  I don't understand the argument over the First Order stormtroopers being too similar to Empire Stormtroopers.   Couldn't the same be said of clonetroopers?

People said this exact same thing again and again before Clone Wars was released. They assume that FFG has the same lack of imagination they do.

Different models are their own justification. People who liked the movies will collect them regardless of mechanics. The question is only if Legion will grow to accommodate the additional stuff. 

How they do it is too much of a guessing game. If they’re just GCW factions reheated and served with a new garnish, well, that’s in keeping with the movies. 

7 hours ago, buckero0 said:

They offer nothing new as far as the game is concerned, just as the 1st order is the Empire. Thwir aesthetic is even identical.

I say the same if the clones.   I mean, the aesthetic is so similar.  White and black armour, even the Logo they use is nearly identical.. yet, clones play differently than the empire.   

5 hours ago, buckero0 said:

The whole first movie was a reskin of the original trilogy.  If you miniaturize those helmets - they all look the same on a table. I've never looked at a model close enough to see what weapon they are holding.  The whole army is (by design) a carbon copy of the Empire. 

And the republic became the empire; apart from the clone trooper keyword, you could fold in the clones to the empire, but they didn't.    

The point is there ARE people who like the different eras.    Despite the lack of imagination that many seem to have, I do think the First Order and Resistance can be built, mechanically speaking, to play differently.    Much as clonetroopers introduce new keywords and mechanics, the First Order and Resistance would likely do the same.  

It's not worth arguing against the ST haters.  I for one will be buying multiple FO/Resistance Core sets as soon as they are released.  I cannot wait to paint up Kylo Ren, Rey, Phasma, etc.  The sequel trilogy is not a "ripoff" of star wars.  It just did a way better job at capturing that original '77 star wars magic than any of the prequel attempts.  

Posted (edited)

I see the ones who prefer the latest released movies calling all others "haters" just because they prefer other ones. Likewise, ones who prefer the originals calling others haters and the same with the clone wars era. The fact is, all are full of crap. There are no haters, just ones who like some better. we all love the mythos  or we wouldnt be here in the first place. We would be off on a star treck site griping and complaining about which time era is best call all who dont agree with us haters. lol

Just because I think scum needs to be introduced before others does not mean I'm right. Likewise with the other eras and factions. I just got done dealing with a bunch of trolls and half whits because they did not agree with my opinion on an ethics question. It went for 11 pages with that behavior. Lets hold ourselves to a higher standard and stricter set of ethics and maintain that all we are talking about are opinions and points of view. Just my opinion but this thread is about resistance being introduced and we should stick to ideas on that topic (yes, I am just as guilty by saying scum should be introduced first and for that, I apologize). Why not start a thread for each faction that is not currently included?  IF, resistance is added, what are ideas that we can brainstorm to make cool units? Of course, many of the older models  could be re purposed into units for resistance. A few ideas.....

1. A card set including all of the current rebel units that would work in resistance with new names or abilities. This way, rebel players would be able to use their models with official resistance stats and rules.

2. Add a few alien squads with their own natural abilities instead of just popping a token one int a unit here and there.

3.mounted squads using newer animals. These seem to be very popular and there are some that are available.

4. I like the idea of adding in higher morale and bravery as that seems to be a theme with the faction.

Edited by EVIL INC