StriderZessei

Which upgrade would you like to see return for 2e?

20 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

I thought 2.0 already had a Cruise Missile.

284?cb=20180625165312

Yes, the similarity had occurred to me. However, there would be quite a few major differences:

1. this would be a generic upgrade, so other factions could use it

2. the drone can take actions, the missile cannot

3. the drone can perform separate attacks, the missile cannot

4. the drone has a timer, the missile does not and lasts longer

5. the drone can damage multiple ships, the missile can only damage 1 ship but possibly hurt it more

6. the drone cannot do damage after enemy ships bump it or when it bumps enemy ships

7. the missile is smaller and can turn around faster if it misses its target

8. the drone cannot ignore obstacles, remotes can

9. the drone has to start at the board edge, the missile can be deployed anytime

10. remotes are cool

29 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I really like that! Lightweight frame, actually means lightweight frame. Harder to do -1 hull than -1 shield. For a shield you just don't put the shield on, but for the hull, you really don't want to denote one less hull with a damage card. since those can be flipped up.

True. Maybe it could have a”Condition” card that acts like a damage, but can’t be flipped? It feels clunky, though it might work.

33 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

An alternative would be to have Lightweight Frame allow the attacker to reroll a single blank attack die; the defender gets a benefit (more dice!) but with the tradeoff that the incoming attacks may be more effective (after all, the ship has been stripped down for agility, so may suffer more from attacks which might otherwise 'bounce' off).

That could work. Working off that end, maybe instead of a reroll, the Attacker can change a bit to a crit? Though, now that I am thinking about it, that might be too easily comboed with Autoblasters and the likes of Bossk.

24 minutes ago, ImperialAce95 said:

Yes, the similarity had occurred to me. However, there would be quite a few major differences:

1. this would be a generic upgrade, so other factions could use it

2. the drone can take actions, the missile cannot

3. the drone can perform separate attacks, the missile cannot

4. the drone has a timer, the missile does not and lasts longer

5. the drone can damage multiple ships, the missile can only damage 1 ship but possibly hurt it more

6. the drone cannot do damage after enemy ships bump it or when it bumps enemy ships

7. the missile is smaller and can turn around faster if it misses its target

8. the drone cannot ignore obstacles, remotes can

9. the drone has to start at the board edge, the missile can be deployed anytime

10. remotes are cool

Yes, I was being facetious; not raising an actual objection...

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Yes, I was being facetious; not raising an actual objection...

I was actually 100% aware of this, lol. Just wanted to point out the differences and roles between the two

Edited by ImperialAce95
we good fam

13 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

That could work. Working off that end, maybe instead of a reroll, the Attacker can change a bit to a crit? Though, now that I am thinking about it, that might be too easily comboed with Autoblasters and the likes of Bossk.

I feel converting a hit to a crit (or auto revealing one dealt damage card) is a little too strong a downside, especially given the number of pilot abilities and other effects around crits.

Upon reflection, though, I don't hink my idea works too well. It would have to mean that *all* attacks against the LWF vessel could reroll a blank dice, not just those triggering the additional defence die, as it wouldn't make sense otherwise (a glancing hit is a glancing hit, regardless of who is firing it).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

An illicit slot on the StarViper. 

You're going the right way for crisp high five. At the very least make a second unique title that allows for an illicit. But FFG has the game space to just add the slot, so why not? Crime Lord Xizor was the ship designer, so why wouldn't it have one?

Edited by 5050Saint

6 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Crime Lord Xizor was the ship designer, so why would it have one?

Xizor worked with Mandal Motors on the design and then bought out the production rights. When he died they returned to Mandal Motors. 2 of the 4 Mandal Motors ships (I am only remembering 4. Lancer, Scyk, Starviper and Kimogila.) have Illicit slots.

Oh, I actually forgot the one card I really need from 1st edition:

Lightning Reflexes

I want my gunboats to turn around just after engaging, even if it comes with just one charge!

4 hours ago, SabineKey said:

The idea that crossed my mind for Light Weight Frame is something similar to Angled Deflectors. Give up a hull for +1 agility. It seems to check out flavorwise, and might be worth it for the right price. 

Compare Strikers to Interceptors at the same price and tell me if anyone would take it.

On the other hand, the cost would be trivial on something like a TIE Punisher which would benefit massively from something like that. I don't think I like it.

5 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

We'd need to call Linked Battery something else since the Upsilon has that as the ship ability, but as long as cannons stay weak, it will be fine to bring it back.

That's a super backwards way of thinking. If cannons aren't good then make them good. I don't like slots that are not slots like the Extra Munitions slot and Linked Battery slot in 1st edition. Passive mods that cost nothing but points aren't a thing in 2nd edition and never should be.

5 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

I think we might need to keep it at 2 stress, otherwise this talent is focus and a FCS without a lock. RZ2-A's would be out of control with as blue as their dial is.

Alternatively, what if it added a red focus action and the ability was simply: "While you perform a primary attack, if you are stressed, you may reroll one die. While you defend, if you are stressed, your dice cannot be modified."

So sort of a mini L'ulo talent. Probably would have to be pretty expensive (6-8ish points).

5 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

That's a super backwards way of thinking. If cannons aren't good then make them good. I don't like slots that are not slots like the Extra Munitions slot and Linked Battery slot in 1st edition. Passive mods that cost nothing but points aren't a thing in 2nd edition and never should be.

Agreed. I'd rather cannons be good and usable.

7 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Alternatively, what if it added a red focus action and the ability was simply: "While you perform a primary attack, if you are stressed, you may reroll one die. While you defend, if you are stressed, your dice cannot be modified."

I had considered something similar, but I didn't have the defending drawback that you had build in. That is better, as my version would be stapled any ship that had a linked action and ridiculous on Poe.

2 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

2 of the 4 Mandal Motors ships (I am only remembering 4. Lancer, Scyk, Starviper and Kimogila.) have Illicit slots.

Fang and Kihraxz are also MandalMotors so that comes to 3 out of 6, but two of those have two illicit slots. I do think illicit would just make sense on the StarViper.

57 minutes ago, DXCrazytrain said:

Expertise. Fite meeeeee!

It's called "the Force" now. A little more balanced, but works while stressed or defending, so it's mostly better.

For myself, I really, really want to see "Adrenaline Rush" for my TIE Bombers, especially Tomax Bren. The fact that his ability only works for Crack Shot (or the pathetic Elusive recharge) is quite sad. But the ability to white k-turn, reload, then white k-turn again would make him awesome. Honestly my Rhymer wants it too to make reloading his APTs a little less punishing. There were a few other 1-use talents that would be cool with 1 or 2 charges as well (cool hand, lightning reflexes, etc.).

Just now, ClassicalMoser said:

Kihraxz

Kihraxz isn't Mandal Motors, it was made by TransGalMeg. You may be thinking of the Dunelizard, which isn't in game. I had forgotten about the Fang though, so that is 2 out of 5 that have Illicit slots.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Category:TransGalMeg_Industries,_Incorporated_products

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Category:MandalMotors_products

12 hours ago, GreenLantern1138 said:

If the TIE/d title turned off Full Throttle it wouldn’t need to cost much and would be easy to balance. Or perhaps if you had to spend (or at least have) the evade token to have the extra shot. 

I do kind of like the idea of TIE Defender double-tap coming back, but it'd have to be at a steep cost. Spending the evade is my favorite mechanic I've seen for it so far, as it gives you flexibility but not much more in true efficiency, and it synergizes well with the chassis. For thematic reasons, it would probably be called "TIE Defender Elite" and would be a config or unique title (TIE Defenders are all TIE/Ds now).

7 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

One way to do it would be to come up with some keywords for the ships in the PDFs.

• Customizable X: Mod, Illicit, Turret, and Cannon upgrades are -X cost
  • Ordnance Y:  Missile, Torpedo, and Device upgrades are -Y cost
  • Avionics Z: Astromech, System, Tech, and Tactical Relay upgrades are -Z cost
  • Spacious W: Crew and Gunner upgrades are -W cost

I feel like that would be a tad excessive. I see two easier ways to do it:

a) If a ship has a second slot, the second equipped upgrade of the same type costs (1 or) 2 points less. Not quite BOGO but about halfway there.

b) Every ship's slots can have a number above it that modifies the cost that goes into it. (Kihraxz mods -2, TIE Bomber and Punisher Ordnance -1, B-Wing cannons -3 but up the base cost, etc.)

Thermal Detonator and Flechette Torpedoes would be 2 of my choices, although I think the Detonator may need to be toned down a little to get it to 2.0 standards.

I'd also like to see some cheapish EPT's as I often struggle to find good ones to put on mid-range generics like Black Squadron Aces, usually defaulting to Crack Shot now that Trick Shot has gone up in points.  Adrenaline Rush (1 charge, reduce difficulty of move) or Cool Hand (1 charge, spend to gain a focus or evade token) are good examples.  Wired (re-roll focus results if stressed) was another good one, but would probably need to be 4-5pts.

Another one to bring back could be Adatability, except instead of allowing you to increase your Initiative by 1 it only gives you the option to decrease it by 1.  Could be an interesting option if, for example, you have one pilot at I4 accompanying a squad of mostly I3 pilots.

3 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:
  • Customizable X: Mod, Illicit, Turret, and Cannon upgrades are -X cost
  • Avionics Y: Astromech, System, Tech, and Tactical Relay upgrades are -Y cost
  • Ordnance Z:  Missile, Torpedo, and Device upgrades are -Z cost
  • Spacious W: Crew and Gunner upgrades are -W cost

I feel like that would be a tad excessive.

It would, quite literally, be C-A-O-S. :P

4 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

b) Every ship's slots can have a number above it that modifies the cost that goes into it. (Kihraxz mods -2, TIE Bomber and Punisher Ordnance -1, B-Wing cannons -3 but up the base cost, etc.)

I mean, that's practically the same thing.  I wouldn't put keywords like that on most ships, and of course I'd assign a cost to it.

But what if, say, the Punisher had Ordnance 5, but cost like 8 points more?  That'd really play into the core fantasy of a ship bristling with different kinds of weapons for each situation.

For a ship like the TIE/sf which is really good without upgrades, Avionics 1 might be a nice choice.  That'd allow a bigger nerf for naked ones than for upgraded ones.  The most common Tech (Advanced Optics) and System (Fire Control System, Passive Sensors) upgrades don't really combine super well.

//

But, the whole project probably isn't a good idea.  I really *love* the two-ships-in-one design of the TIE/sf, with the gunner being fairly priced at 10 points.  Having a fair price for both ships and upgrades is probably the right direction, but it's kind of a fun thing to think about, now and again.

1 hour ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Compare Strikers to Interceptors at the same price and tell me if anyone would take it.

On the other hand, the cost would be trivial on something like a TIE Punisher which would benefit massively from something like that. I don't think I like it.

So sort of a mini L'ulo talent. Probably would have to be pretty expensive (6-8ish points).

That’s a very good point. I was laser focused on the SF, so wasn’t really considering the Striker and others. Hmm. Back to the drawing board.

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

But what if, say, the Punisher had Ordnance 5, but cost like 8 points more?  That'd really play into the core fantasy of a ship bristling with different kinds of weapons for each situation.

No, see I totally love this idea; I thought they'd do it from the get-go. I just think it would be easier to have it directly in the slots than fiddling with whether you want Ordnance to apply to torps and bombs when maybe the TIE/sa just needs a price drop on its bombs and has to shell out full-price for missiles? Not a big deal either way, but I prefer options that are more flexible and easier to see just from reading without having to look up keyword definitions..

Edited by ClassicalMoser

8 hours ago, RStan said:

Supreme Leader Kylo thanks you for your contributions to his reign. 

Thinking like 4pts for non force users, 8pts for force users. 

I mean Kylo can take AO now for offence and no-one seems to be complaining about that 

10 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

You're going the right way for crisp high five. At the very least make a second unique title that allows for an illicit. But FFG has the game space to just add the slot, so why not? Crime Lord Xizor was the ship designer, so why wouldn't it have one?

Conventional wisdom in 1.0 was putting glitterstim on Virago, but cloaking device was my go-to. I miss it. 

10 hours ago, Pewpewpew BOOM said:

Conventional wisdom in 1.0 was putting glitterstim on Virago, but cloaking device was my go-to. I miss it. 

Thweek with FCS, APT, and Glitterstim was my jam. I honestly think almost every Scum ship should come with an illicit slot, Fangs being the immediate exception that comes to mind.

As for another upgrade that could come over to 2nd Edition, Burnout Slam. Either make it take up the mod and illicit slot, or make it take up two illicit slots. If it was two illicit slots, only the Kirhxzxzxza and the Lancer could take it currently which I honestly would be fine with.

3 hours ago, 5050Saint said:

As for another upgrade that could come over to 2nd Edition, Burnout Slam. Either make it take up the mod and illicit slot, or make it take up two illicit slots. If it was two illicit slots, only the Kirhxzxzxza and the Lancer could take it currently which I honestly would be fine with.

This, except I'm more in favor of a single illicit slot. My reasoning: At least that way you can take the (admittedly terrible) coaxium hyperfuel on the Lancer and Kihraxz. It's kind of dumb that it's only available to Resistance as it is. Why do we get two in Hotshots and Aces? How could they possibly be used anyway?

Also hoping burnout SLAM has some way of getting the charge back to make Coaxium Hyperfuel a little less trash.

11 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

Why do we get two in Hotshots and Aces? How could they possibly be used anyway?

What we know:

1.  Only one ship can use it currently, and that ship already comes with a copy.

2.  Two copies come separate from that ship.

From this, I feel we can conclude that either FFG has gone completely off the deep end, or else there is something coming up that will use it or allow other ships to use it.

Personally, I find this a cause for excitement more than bitterness.