StriderZessei

Which upgrade would you like to see return for 2e?

I'd almost be inclined to make TIE/d a more general upgrade, with 'spend a focus token to make a bonus cannon attack' - then it's good on Defenders as you aren't tokenless for defence and can Juke both shots, but it's also usable for anyone with a (largely useless) cannon slot.

10 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

I keep saying: 2e Twin Laser Turret: Turret Upgrade, grants Rotate action, 2 red dice, range 2-3.  No other text, but it's a double-end turret.  Twin means two sides.  It probably doesn't do much damage, but it's got massive arc coverage.

If Jumpmasters could equip it, it would give them a white rotate action that they lack. But what would happen if you equip it on a ship that already have a primary bowtie arc? You get 2 bowtie arcs (360 degree arcs!) or just the default one?

4 minutes ago, Azrapse said:

If Jumpmasters could equip it, it would give them a white rotate action that they lack. But what would happen if you equip it on a ship that already have a primary bowtie arc? You get 2 bowtie arcs (360 degree arcs!) or just the default one?

Why would it go on any ship which currently has a primary turret at all?  The only ships with turret slots don't.

Just now, Azrapse said:

Well, at the moment, there isn't any ship which can equip turret upgrades that also has a primary weapon turret, and I strongly suspect FFG will keep a firm line between PWT and Turret Uprade on ships, simply because there's too much "how would it work?"  This is true with single-arc turrets like Dorsal or Ion Cannon Turret on something like a YT-series or Decimator.

If I were to invent a rule for how to handle it:

• 1 arc PW turret + 1 arc turret upgrade: still only one turret arc
  • 2 arc PW turret + 1 arc turret upgrade: just the one double-arc, and you can use turret upgrade out of either end
  • 1 arc PWT + 2 arc turret upgrade: just the one double-arc, and you can use PWT out of either end

But again, the situation where a ship both has a primary turret and can equip a turret upgrade does not exist now and might never exist.

3 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Double missile slot limits it to very few ships, most of them Imperial. I fly Imperial, but it seems unfair. Make it take up both a missile slot and a modification slot to prevent Afterburners abuse?

Force and/or Passive Sensors is more of an issue than Afterburners. By limiting the upgrade to double missile only it would be easier to control the balance of the upgrade. Basically, it would be great for the Bomber and the Aggressor (neither of which see all that much play), decent on the Punisher and K-Wing (which, again, see little play), and an interesting option for the Baktoid.

I don't think single slot or missile/mod would necessarily make it unworkable, but it'd probably have to be more expensive, which again may make it nonviable on the intended platforms. I'm not sure I'd want 35ish point A-Wings chucking five dice attacks at R3, and that's before we get into Inquisitors that lock in the engagement phase and have a force token to spare, and TIE SFs that hop over you, turn their launcher (again, in the engagement phase) and throw five dice backwards.

Posted (edited)

The Return some of the forgotten astromechs:

R7: 1e ability was if you had a target lock on the attacker, you could spend it to force them to reroll any dice of your choosing. Obviously a little busted for 2e, but give it 2 charges(non-recurring) require a lock to spend on the attacker, and force the reroll on all dice (no more cherry picking), also you can use it on friendly ships (big change from 1e was only on enemy ships). sure it’s a risk/reward, but I did enjoy the gamble aspect of some 1e effects (should also happen at the start of modify attack dice step so your opponent can still spend any focus tokens if they desire). Agility based costing, this is something E-wings would have a field day with if it was to cheap. 

M9-G8: same idea as R7 but with 3 charges. Ship A spends a lock(and a charge) on Ship B (when it’s attacking) to allow 1 full attack dice reroll. 

Flight assist astromech: would be nice, not sure how many charges it would need though.

Tageting Astromech: Passive sensors for non-sensor slot ships. However 2 recurring charges. (Or maybe just 1)

R3-A2:  forget stress, let this droid do something with strain or deplete tokens (and make it appropriately costed). A big problem with this droid was that there wasn’t a downside to the stress for the carrier, just the ship affected. Deplete/strain brings back the risk/reward. (You get the token you give.)

R7-T1: 1e action: allows you to take a target lock at range 1-2 and then perform a boost.  2e suggestion is to make the boost/barrellroll (whatever maneuver exists as a white action on the action bar on your ship) red, and allow the lock to occur at range 1-3, provided in the bullseye. 

Some other cards I wouldn’t mind seeing again with minor changes: 

Rage: 1e: gain 2 stress, acquire a focus and you may reroll up to 3 if your attack dice. 

Stay on target: 1e ability: when you reveal a maneuver, you may change it to another maneuver of the same speed, treating it as red. (I would really like to stay the same if possible. I wouldn’t mind it being a natural counter to sense either). 

Opportunist and Expose could also be considered. 

Edited by FlyingAnchors

12 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

But again, the situation where a ship both has a primary turret and can equip a turret upgrade does not exist now and might never exist.

Not might never exist, shold never exist, for precisely the reason that it makes things incredibly complicated.

You either get a turret primary or a turret upgrade, never both*.

*(except maybe epics)

Just now, thespaceinvader said:

Not might never exist, shold never exist, for precisely the reason that it makes things incredibly complicated.

You either get a turret primary or a turret upgrade, never both*.

*(except maybe epics)

I mean, a rule saying that turret upgrades on PWT ships don't get more turret arcs, they just use all turret weapons out of they already have, would be pretty easy, and probably fair enough.  But there's no real reason for it to happen.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Okapi said:

Cruise Missile is probably the one I miss the most. Very powerful, but it requires a lot of work, just like APT and Proton Rockets. Keep it reasonably cheap, give it three charges and requiring two missile slots, and you might even have a reason to bring Aggressors.

1e cruise missiles were good, but having a Ric Ole missile that is based on your speed was kind of weird to me. I think it should come back, but should look entirely different. In-lore, the missile was a slow but powerful weapon that almost acted as its own ship. Try this on for size:

Cruise Missile (Missile, 1 charge, requires Reload action) At the start of the Engagement Phase, you may spend 1 charge and receive a disarm token to launch 1 Cruise Missile using the (3 Left Bank), (3 straight), or (3 Right Bank) template. This card's charge cannot be recovered.

Cruise Missile (Remote, 4 agility, 1 hull) [Initiative 0] Engagement Phase: When you are deployed, you must use your rear guides. After a ship moves through or overlaps you, that ship suffers 1 Hit damage, rolls 1 attack dice and suffers 1 Hit/ Crit damage for each matching result. Then you suffer 1 Hit damage. System Phase: At your initiative, you may relocate using a (2 Left Turn), (2 Left Bank), (2 straight), (2 Right Bank), or (2 Right Turn) template from your front guides.

This is where the fun begins.

Edited by ImperialAce95

14 minutes ago, Okapi said:

I'm not sure I'd want 35ish point A-Wings chucking five dice attacks at R3, and that's before we get into Inquisitors that lock in the engagement phase and have a force token to spare

Neither of these ships have a Modification slot, which means they would not be able to take it. It also means Silencers, Defenders, and N-1's cannot take it.

Beyond this, I think it should be limited to standard maneuvers only. Doing a 5-K then launching a missile in the opposite direction seems anti-thematic to the missile which is kind of the problem with the SF. The SF seems to be the only one throwing a monkey wrench in my plans, but SFs should probably go up in price a little anyway (while their gunner should drop a little) which would hopefully balance out with the missile. Could remove the Mod slot as only QD uses it, so it isn't vital to the chassis.

But I'd prefer that to Vynder (or any StarWing) Advanced Slamming one into me. You'd never be able to escape. Taking away the Mod, takes away Adv. Slam, disallowing a 4 ship Starwing turn 1 alpha strike throwing 4 dice each into me (which I believe a 3 bank slam 3 bank can do, if I'm wrong, my apologies).

5 hours ago, Deffly said:

Sensor Cluster: I hate blanking out on 3-4 greens and waste that focus I was saving for defense. 

Yeah, no. Kylo would never get hit as long as he had a focus.

6 minutes ago, wsmith32 said:

RAGE but with maybe 1 focus and 1 reroll for 1 stress

I think we might need to keep it at 2 stress, otherwise this talent is focus and a FCS without a lock. RZ2-A's would be out of control with as blue as their dial is.

Just now, SabineKey said:

For me, it’s Linked Battery for Sunny, and Light Weight Frame for my SFs.

We'd need to call Linked Battery something else since the Upsilon has that as the ship ability, but as long as cannons stay weak, it will be fine to bring it back. Lightweight frame could be brought back, but I think it should have a limiter like stealth device as I don't want every N-1 turning into Ric Olie defensively. Something like "After you defended, if you suffered damage deplete one charge" except it would have 2 charges. That would give a longer life than Stealth Device, but not so much that SF's become the bane of everyone's existence. 

59 minutes ago, ImperialAce95 said:

1e cruise missiles were good, but having a Ric Ole missile that is based on your speed was kind of weird to me. I think it should come back, but should look entirely different. In-lore, the missile was a slow but powerful weapon that almost acted as its own ship. Try this on for size:

Cruise Missile (Missile, 1 charge, requires Reload action) At the start of the Engagement Phase, you may spend 1 charge and receive a disarm token to launch 1 Cruise Missile using the (3 Left Bank), (3 straight), or (3 Right Bank) template. This card's charge cannot be recovered.

Cruise Missile (Remote, 4 agility, 1 hull) [Initiative 0] Engagement Phase: When you are deployed, you must use your rear guides. After a ship moves through or overlaps you, that ship suffers 1 Hit damage, rolls 1 attack dice and suffers 1 Hit/ Crit damage for each matching result. Then you suffer 1 Hit damage. System Phase: At your initiative, you may relocate using a (2 Left Turn), (2 Left Bank), (2 straight), (2 Right Bank), or (2 Right Turn) template from your front guides.

This is where the fun begins.

I thought 2.0 already had a Cruise Missile.

284?cb=20180625165312

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, svelok said:

This thread

file_554ccd409b_original.png

3 hours ago, Polda said:

Or... OR... we could get something original, interesting and designed specifically for Second Edition? 

Yeah, I'd rather see stuff like this than another whiny "I know what the points are supposed to be for everything in the game so when is FFG going to change them?" thread.

Edited by Darth Meanie

52 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

I think we might need to keep it at 2 stress, otherwise this talent is focus and a FCS without a lock. RZ2-A's would be out of control with as blue as their dial is.

We'd need to call Linked Battery something else since the Upsilon has that as the ship ability, but as long as cannons stay weak, it will be fine to bring it back. Lightweight frame could be brought back, but I think it should have a limiter like stealth device as I don't want every N-1 turning into Ric Olie defensively. Something like "After you defended, if you suffered damage deplete one charge" except it would have 2 charges. That would give a longer life than Stealth Device, but not so much that SF's become the bane of everyone's existence. 

Agreed on changing the name of Linked Batteries. It might also require bullseye to keep in with predator.

The idea that crossed my mind for Light Weight Frame is something similar to Angled Deflectors. Give up a hull for +1 agility. It seems to check out flavorwise, and might be worth it for the right price. 

13 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

The idea that crossed my mind for Light Weight Frame is something similar to Angled Deflectors. Give up a hull for +1 agility. It seems to check out flavorwise, and might be worth it for the right price. 

I really like that! Lightweight frame, actually means lightweight frame. Harder to do -1 hull than -1 shield. For a shield you just don't put the shield on, but for the hull, you really don't want to denote one less hull with a damage card. since those can be flipped up.

13 minutes ago, SabineKey said:

Agreed on changing the name of Linked Batteries. It might also require bullseye to keep in with predator.

An alternative would be to have Lightweight Frame allow the attacker to reroll a single blank attack die; the defender gets a benefit (more dice!) but with the tradeoff that the incoming attacks may be more effective (after all, the ship has been stripped down for agility, so may suffer more from attacks which might otherwise 'bounce' off).