StriderZessei

Which upgrade would you like to see return for 2e?

Posted (edited)

Glitterstim

At the start of the Combat phase, you may discard this card and receive 1 stress token. If you do, until the end of the round, when attacking or defending, you may change all of your 'eye' results to  'hit' or 'evade' results.

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

12 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Glitterstim

At the start of the Combat phase, you may discard this card and receive 1 stress token. If you do, until the end of the round, when attacking or defending, you may change all of your 'eye' results to  'hit' or 'evade' results.

Commander Malarus would like to know your location.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Tie D title. 

And glitterstim

God these upgrades were kinda broken tho. 

yep, no reason why FFG couldn't cost them higher tho. Contraband Cybernetics went from 6pts to 3pts. Based on its power level glitterstim might be 5-6pts? If they did rerelease gloitterstim and screwed up the cost they could always readjust it so why not??

Edited by Da_Brown_Bomber

Intensity, but only for focus tokens, not evade tokens (because easy access to evades is probably too much).  Intensity was probably my favourite 1e upgrade and was well below the power curve.

TIE/D but it costs an evade token to use it, so you don't need to worry about the interaction with Full Throttle.

Glitterstim, but it has two or three charges and only works on attacks OR defences, not both in the same round.

Linked Battery (I miss Linked Battery Sunny so much :( )

11 minutes ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

yep, no reason why FFG couldn't cost them higher tho. Contraband Cybernetics went from 6pts to 3pts. Based on its power level glitterstim might be 5-6pts? If they did rerelease gloitterstim and screwed up the cost they could always readjust it so why not??

Not that FFG ever said that double mods are the devil, but Glitterstim is classic double mods, its totally not 2.0 style. 

Tie D is double attacks, is more reasonable, but double attacks want double mods. it was generally a very powerful upgrade, to make up for the fact that old Defenders were 3-4 points overcosted, 6-8 points in 1.0. 

Opportunist. 

It was one of those cards where the points and cost to use usually weren't worth it, but there were a couple of nice combos you could set up with it. 

I used to love running Wedge and Keyan with Opportunist alongside Wes Janson with Adaptability. 

I'm not sure how you'd need to tweak it to make it work in 2e, and obviously even if Wes came back it wouldn't help Wedge, but it would be a really good upgrade on Ten Numb and I think there's a couple of other lists who could make good use out of it. 

Also, R2-F2 and R5-K6. But they'd need to completely re-written as they were both terrible even in 1e. 

Flight-Assist Astromech. With charges and suitably costed, of course. That card was a lot of fun to use, and one of the few that was equally valuable on low and high initiative.

Vaksai.  But maybe limit it to only reduce Modifications, Illicits or both, but not any other slots.  Also, since points are doubled in 2.0, it would have only about 1/2 the same effect on costs.

The Kihraxz has a ton of upgrade slots and there are so few things I feel are worth it on them.

I do miss pulsed ray shields. I'd like to see a score to settle come back as well, probably as a 1pt upgrade. For the most part, though, I've forgotten first edition (apart from my dearest Carnor Jax)

22 minutes ago, pickirk01 said:

Vaksai.  But maybe limit it to only reduce Modifications, Illicits or both, but not any other slots.  Also, since points are doubled in 2.0, it would have only about 1/2 the same effect on costs.

The Kihraxz has a ton of upgrade slots and there are so few things I feel are worth it on them.

Vaksai should just be baked into ships with multiple slots tbh.

Kihraxz should pay 1 less for the second mod equipped, and for the second Illicit equipped.  This could easily be put into the PDFs/app without publishing additional cards.

Intensity was a lot of fun, but maybe too much for second edition? Same with old Advanced Optics/Comm Relay.

Cruise Missile is probably the one I miss the most. Very powerful, but it requires a lot of work, just like APT and Proton Rockets. Keep it reasonably cheap, give it three charges and requiring two missile slots, and you might even have a reason to bring Aggressors.

Would love to see more of the obscure and interesting generic weapons come back, such as Flechette Torps / Cannon, as well as Seismic Torps. Maybe the Flechette weapons could inflict strain(?) Mag-Pulse Warheads inflict deplete, so why not?

A Torpedo that basically allows you to lock obstacles and turn them into seismic charges would be cool. Would pair great with R3. Maybe:

Seismic Torpedoes    Front Arc   2 charges   Range 2-3

Attack(Target Lock): Spend 1 charge and choose 1 obstacle. Each ship and remote at range 0-1 of that obstacle suffers 1 damage. Then remove that obstacle.

Twin Ion Engine Mark II.  Interceptors could use a nice, cheap upgrade.  It'd be wicked sweet on Duchess, too.

5 hours ago, Azrapse said:

Twin Laser Turret.

Seriously, now: Linked Battery.

I keep saying: 2e Twin Laser Turret: Turret Upgrade, grants Rotate action, 2 red dice, range 2-3.  No other text, but it's a double-end turret.  Twin means two sides.  It probably doesn't do much damage, but it's got massive arc coverage.

2 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Vaksai should just be baked into ships with multiple slots tbh.

Kihraxz should pay 1 less for the second mod equipped, and for the second Illicit equipped.  This could easily be put into the PDFs/app without publishing additional cards.

When variable pricing was announced, but before it really got described, I kind of expected something like this.  Kihraxzes would pay less for mod and illicit, something like a Punisher could pay less for ordnance (so it could have an over-priced base cost, but be fairly priced when loaded up).

One way to do it would be to come up with some keywords for the ships in the PDFs.

• Customizable X: Mod, Illicit, Turret, and Cannon upgrades are -X cost
  • Ordnance Y:  Missile, Torpedo, and Device upgrades are -Y cost
  • Avionics Z: Astromech, System, Tech, and Tactical Relay upgrades are -Z cost
  • Spacious W: Crew and Gunner upgrades are -W cost

6 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

I want my Pulse Ray Shield Scyks back!

This upgrade balances itself out with the ion token and only being able to be taken on a few ships, so bringing it over seems great.

5 hours ago, Da_Brown_Bomber said:

Glitterstim

A powerful card that I'd love to see as "SCUM ONLY". Cost it appropriately and it would be great. 6 points for 1 charge, 11 points for 2 charges? 

4 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Intensity, but only for focus tokens, not evade tokens (because easy access to evades is probably too much).  Intensity was probably my favourite 1e upgrade and was well below the power curve.

TIE/D but it costs an evade token to use it, so you don't need to worry about the interaction with Full Throttle.

Linked Battery (I miss Linked Battery Sunny so much :( )

I'm there for your version of Intensity as Full Throttle my break it. Starts uncharged like Gonk does.

Spend an Evade to use TIE/d double tap would be a great way to balance it with Full Throttle. This way you either need to fully execute you maneuver or take the evade action to use it, so it can be blocked. Give it a cost, but make it cheap as you need to pay for the cannon, too, and Defenders aren't cheap to start.

2 hours ago, DR4CO said:

Flight-Assist Astromech. With charges and suitably costed, of course. That card was a lot of fun to use, and one of the few that was equally valuable on low and high initiative.

Two charges. Make it only work with speed 1 or 2 maneuvers to prevent Afterburners abuse. Cost appropriately and it should work fine. Make the action Red if you don't have it on your action bar.

1 hour ago, Arkanta974 said:

XX-23 S-thread tracker or Long Range Scanner. Any upgrade to help missiles carriers.

No thanks on the Long Range Scanner, too easy to obtain Locks. We have passive sensors now for most missile/torp carriers for that. XX-23, however, is a better choice as you are sacrificing an attack for it. Give them 3 charges. 

37 minutes ago, Okapi said:

Cruise Missile is probably the one I miss the most. Very powerful, but it requires a lot of work, just like APT and Proton Rockets. Keep it reasonably cheap, give it three charges and requiring two missile slots, and you might even have a reason to bring Aggressors.

Double missile slot limits it to very few ships, most of them Imperial. I fly Imperial, but it seems unfair. Make it take up both a missile slot and a modification slot to prevent Afterburners abuse?