Sign in to follow this  
TylerTT

Drop pod expansion request. add profile cards for imperial R2 and protocol droids

26 minutes ago, TylerTT said:

the imperials have plenty of R2 and protocol droids. so I'm asking why not add profile cards for imperial R2 and protocol droids to the drop pod expansion. 

But what if, instead, imperials got a probe droid?  Why does everything need to be for every faction.   Artoo and Threepio will work for Republic as well as rebel.

I have not seen any Drop pod announcement.  Where can I find out more about this?  Was it a GENCON announcement? Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks

I think it's a fair request. There are plenty of Imperial astromechs in all the OT films, as well as different protocol droids, especially in the comics (0-0-0 comes to mind). Even if FFG doesn't support such shenanigans, I'm certainly going to figure out some homebrew. 

Is there any indication yet of what the official droids actually do in game? (I haven't kept up on all the recent FFG articles...) maybe they do things that aren't really in theme with an Imperial army?

What I really hope to see is an official Imperial probe droid and an Imperial security droid like K-2SO. Though, I fear that the only K-2SO droid we ever see will be Rebel also... That is, the actual named character from RO. 

4 minutes ago, zsavk said:

I have not seen any Drop pod announcement.  Where can I find out more about this?  Was it a GENCON announcement? Any links would be appreciated.

Thanks

in flight report and in their gencon booth.

1 hour ago, Albertese said:

Is there any indication yet of what the official droids actually do in game? (I haven't kept up on all the recent FFG articles...) maybe they do things that aren't really in theme with an Imperial army?

They have a "Secret Mission" keyword and abilities that largely let them wander around a battlefield without taking considerable damage, and if they meet their objective, can score some points. Preeeetty flavorfully those two specific droids.

I don’t think we need official Imperial minis for protocol droids. We have an astromech option and you can always casual proxy a different model in to fit whatever R series you like with the same rules.

Homebrew scenarios like the community Tusken? Go for it!

If you want to homebrew it, go for it, but between C-3P0's card from the RRG and the new keywords that are clearly for R2-D2, the unit in the expansion is pretty specialized. The empire doesn't use droids the way the Rbellion uses Artoo and Threepio

I think getting more Imperial droids would be cool, including a probe droid. But I think the whole concept of Secret Mission is that it's the Rebels answer to the Imperial only Bounty. Giving Imperials access to Secret Mission wouldn't make sense. 

I can see the Rebels getting more units with this mechanic. And my guess is we will eventually see Tripple Zero and BT1 in some way. 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Albertese said:

I think it's a fair request. There are plenty of Imperial astromechs in all the OT films, as well as different protocol droids, especially in the comics (0-0-0 comes to mind). Even if FFG doesn't support such shenanigans, I'm certainly going to figure out some homebrew. 

What I really hope to see is an official Imperial probe droid and an Imperial security droid like K-2SO. Though, I fear that the only K-2SO droid we ever see will be Rebel also... That is, the actual named character from RO. 

Probe droid operative and K2 unit of 3+1 for imperials and Andor+K2-SO operative pair for rebels, please.

Edited by aniron

i'm not saying the imperial droids should function like their rebel hero counterparts. just that the characters are identical models and it would be cool if they included generic imperial profiles for them.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, TylerTT said:

i'm not saying the imperial droids should function like their rebel hero counterparts. just that the characters are identical models and it would be cool if they included generic imperial profiles for them.

Protocol droids really don't make sense for the empire. They're diplomatic assistants, not soldiers. The rebellion uses C-3P0 because they're desperate enough to overlook his... everything, but for a proper military, a clumsy robot with a prissy attitude and a shiny metal carapace is a liability on the battlefield. Astromechs make a bit more sense, but we already have a repair droid upgrade. I suppose you could add an alternative BT-1 head for the astromech and add the killbots, but 3P0 and 0-0-0 would probably require different poses, and that still leaves the CIS without a unit in the box.

Edited by Squark

3 hours ago, Squark said:

Protocol droids really don't make sense for the empire. They're diplomatic assistants, not soldiers. The rebellion uses C-3P0 because they're desperate enough to overlook his... everything, but for a proper military, a clumsy robot with a prissy attitude and a shiny metal carapace is a liability.

AP-5 would disagree

Posted (edited)

RA-7 was a protocol droid serving on the Death Star and the model inspiration for 4-LOM, I think. There's a lot of things you don't "intend" to bring into a battle, but it happens anyway. 

Edited by crx3800

2 hours ago, crx3800 said:

RA-7 was a protocol droid serving on the Death Star and the model inspiration for 4-LOM, I think. There's a lot of things you don't "intend" to bring into a battle, but it happens anyway. 

Sure, but the bigger question is, "What would those things do for Legion?" C-3P0 is a major character from the films and his presence emphasizes the desperate ingenuity of the rebellion. A supply droid model for the Empire is just scenery.

We honestly didn't think the FX-9 was battlefield capable, but here it is! I don't personally need "equivalent releases" but when one side has access to 11 options and the other has access to 10, that starts to wear on players, especially if that 1 option becomes critical to winning. 

That said, I suspect FFG is already thinking about what the CIS + Empire model(s) could be, so I'm not that worried.