DblVsdGuy

Difficult to buy ships

Posted (edited)

I have noticed a (local, sweden) problem where stores seemingly run out of stock, not re-stocking, and start marking products as expired products, and that is even for the Chimaera from Wave 7. The Chimaera is on the boat or in production at least, but very little else is in production besides the new ships coming this Q4. What concerns me the most is that some important ships (MC80 Liberty, ISD) from the earlier waves are now very difficult to find, it is almost impossible unless buying them used. There is always the option of buying through the FFG site BUT, the cost for shipping is making it very unappealing and the cost for the ships are higher, understandably not competing with the stores prices.

A simple question is; will ffg reprint the earlier Waves?

This is not simply a concern for me personally but for the game (locally) as a whole and for its growth.

1. No available ships = no new players.

2. No new players = shrinking player base.

Where I am located, second largest city in the country, its me and another player that is the local meta. No store helps out with tournaments or events, its just us "promoting", if you can call it that, the game, which is difficult.

Why it looks like this is hard to say exactly and speculations can be given.

My take on this is the expensive starter. The fact that you get so much you dont want as one player in this set is offputting for most people. Sure if you find someone that you can share the Core set with and split the upgrade cards and ships its fine, but you only get one damage deck, and one set of obstacles. This is great over a kitchen table but not competetively.

If there were one Rebel core set and one Imperial core set, The player base would have been bigger. Cheaper startup costs and not getting things you wont use raises the games worth.

FFG will most certainly (hopefully) do this for the Clonewars ships, or they might just stick to the old core and leave the newer players with 3 ships and upgrades they cant use, which is not a great idea, unless they have thought of a way to make those ships work for the new faction.

On another note, I dont want to say that this game is overly expensive either. You can get a fully functional list for a cheap price compared to WH40K. Discussing how much some of those players put into their hobby is making me wake up in the middle of the night sweaty and screaming in horror.

Im sorry for bringing the doom and gloom but I need reasurance that the game has a future here and that I dont have to travel to another country to play a game or 2...

Edited by DblVsdGuy

Posted (edited)

There is a good reason for not reprinting the old waves and I'm hoping for it to be true.

And that reason would be Armada 2.0.

So why is there no announcement for 2.0? Because then noone would buy the leftover 1.0 ships, you silly!

Armada is a great game and it had good sale numbers even though there are a few problems: The starter sucks, the upgrade card policy sucks, too (they already stopped that bs in XWing and Legion), squadrons are always played in a huge blob and activation advantage is far too potent! Also some more variety on space terrain would be good. These are just a few things from the top of my head.

If FFG can tackle these problems in an Armada 2.0, this will be one of their best games so far.

The new ships have hyped me up already, though. Love the sniper cannon idea. Also the new counter attack token has the potential to heavily change the game.

Edited by Staelwulf

ffg will reprint everything.  They are just not quick about it unfortunately.  That hurts the players and FFG.  And they have stated thing year they are NOT working on a 2.0 version of Armada.  They game is in a good place balance wise.  I think the only issue (and I think it's a small issue) is squadrons are a bit powerful.

My advice is to be patient.  I know it's not what you want to hear but now that FFG has got the SSD out to stores I expect they will be a little more on top of reprints for Armada.

Good luck to you guys in Sweden, I hope you can rebuild a comunity even if it's slow.

It's not just Sweden.  I am in the UK and haven't been able to buy Chimaera for months.  Arquitens, raider, both flavours of ISD out of stock.  It's very frustrating especially when rebel ships are all in stock.  I wonder why it is that most of the stock shortages are Imperial?

37 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

I wonder why it is that most of the stock shortages are Imperial?

The empire had been throwing all it's production resources into the SSD. As many people have  pointed out, they could make like 50 ISDs with the resources that gets put into a SSD. But they're the Empire where everything has to be 'super' big. 

That and the rebels keep on raiding their supply convoys. 

So, yeah, no other ships for the Empire for the moment... 

59 minutes ago, flatpackhamster said:

It's not just Sweden.  I am in the UK and haven't been able to buy Chimaera for months.  Arquitens, raider, both flavours of ISD out of stock.  It's very frustrating especially when rebel ships are all in stock.  I wonder why it is that most of the stock shortages are Imperial?

Clifton Road Games have 8 ISD-I/ISD-II packs in stock. Not the cheapest price I've seen but free UK postage.

https://www.cliftonroadgames.co.uk/star-wars-armada-imperialclass-star-destroyer.ir

Not sure if they would post to Sweeden. Club together with your freinds to get 2-3 and send them an email asking for a postage quote. 

Can’t comment on the main issue, but I do want to offer my two cents anyway.

I really doubt that FFG will do split starters for the Clone Wars Armada content.  Every single one of their miniatures games core sets has 2 factions in it, with a limited selection of units for each side.  X-Wing, Armada, Legion, Runewars, that’s the case with all of them.  

The Clone Wars Armada core set (which, while not confirmed, is super likely) will be just like the main core set.  One faction will get a medium ship and some fighters, one faction will get 2 small ships and some fighters.   We might get mediums for both, as I don’t off the top of my head know any iconic small ships for Clone Wars factions.  I doubt the core will come with a Venator, as that’s a large ship and will take up a lot of space.  I think we will see an Acclamator and some V-19s or ARC-170s, along with maybe a Munificent and some vulture droids.

Then of course a large ship wave with Venator and Providence class ships.

23 minutes ago, FatherTurin said:

I really doubt that FFG will do split starters for the Clone Wars Armada content.  Every single one of their miniatures games core sets has 2 factions in it, with a limited selection of units for each side.  X-Wing, Armada, Legion, Runewars, that’s the case with all of them. 

I completely agree with this. We have allready seen a clone wars starter for legion and it is essentially the same as the original starter except with Republic and CIS instead of Rebels and Empire, so I would imagine they would do the same in armada

Reprints tended to be round about once a year, so just be patient. And mind that the upcoming page isn't up to date most of the time and things tend to pop up being in stores quicker than you might think. :)

Hey! I'm new to armada and i also live in the second largest city, wich i pressume you mean Got? Anyway i dont have anyone to play with and im down to learn so if you guys are interested maybe you could teach me, that would be awesome!

6 hours ago, Staelwulf said:

There is a good reason for not reprinting the old waves and I'm hoping for it to be true.

And that reason would be Armada 2.0.

So why is there no announcement for 2.0? Because then noone would buy the leftover 1.0 ships, you silly!

Armada is a great game and it had good sale numbers even though there are a few problems: The starter sucks, the upgrade card policy sucks, too (they already stopped that bs in XWing and Legion), squadrons are always played in a huge blob and activation advantage is far too potent! Also some more variety on space terrain would be good. These are just a few things from the top of my head.

If FFG can tackle these problems in an Armada 2.0, this will be one of their best games so far.

The new ships have hyped me up already, though. Love the sniper cannon idea. Also the new counter attack token has the potential to heavily change the game.

I have nothing to do with X-Wing or Legion, so what issues do you have that you feel were fixed in those games with the upgrade card policy?

Armada is in a tough spot supply wise right now.  CSI has 12 out of 29 items in stock...thats less than half!  FFG themselves is out of stock of 7 of the expansions including both the ISD and the Chimera.  In fact 5 of the ships they are out of stock on are Imperial.  You're in a tough spot if you want build an Imperial fleet right now.

Armada is and always has been a better designed game than X-wing. It has no need for a 2nd edition, and I don't see the demand from the player base. X-WING lost almost as many players as it gained with 2nd edition, and it was a total mess, that the community was begging to be fixed. 

An Armada 2nd edition would probably do what repeated delays could not, kill the Armada community.

Just my 2 credits, but I stand by it.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CDAT said:

I have nothing to do with X-Wing or Legion, so what issues do you have that you feel were fixed in those games with the upgrade card policy?

I've been playing X-Wing for the last 3 years.

The new policy is simply that they promise to include every upgrade card in some sort of pack/expansion so a player who only plays one faction doesn't have to buy any ships from a different faction (there are 7 in x-wing now). There can be delays in the cards being available, but they have stuck to this policy and almost all the cards are being released somewhere.

In 1st ed, there were some ships that were only bought to get copies of a particular card. Emperor Palpatine was the classic example, being only available in the Raider expansion - the most expensive release for either version of x-wing so far. (It had other essential upgrades in it too.)

Edit: I only started playing Armada 3 months or so ago; I've found pretty much every expansion, some in multiples (I have 2 ISDs and 1 Chimaera for example) for about 50% of full price by using Facebook second hand buying and selling groups. (Which is also how and why I have far too many x-wing ships...) Located in the UK.

Edited by Gilarius

10 hours ago, flatpackhamster said:

The UK has always been very heavy imperial in its meta.... its an issue

Hey! I'm new to armada and i also live in the second largest city, wich i pressume you mean Got? Anyway i dont have anyone to play with and im down to learn so if you guys are interested maybe you could teach me, that would be awesome!

15 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Can you even play "Hail Brittania" to an Imperial March Cadence?

It's 'Rule Brittania' and a bit of a jingoistic rant about being supremely powerful and able to overwhelm everyone else with military force...

...set to a jaunty tune. ;)

1 minute ago, Gilarius said:

It's 'Rule Brittania' and a bit of a jingoistic rant about being supremely powerful and able to overwhelm everyone else with military force...

Right, right.  You know, I knew it was Rule...  But for some reason, my Southern Colonistic bent refused to let me actually write the Whole Name as once, lest I be somehow capitulating to its inherently imperialistic nature.

On 8/16/2019 at 9:24 AM, DblVsdGuy said:

I have noticed a (local, sweden) problem where stores seemingly run out of stock, not re-stocking, and start marking products as expired products, and that is even for the Chimaera from Wave 7. The Chimaera is on the boat or in production at least, but very little else is in production besides the new ships coming this Q4. What concerns me the most is that some important ships (MC80 Liberty, ISD) from the earlier waves are now very difficult to find, it is almost impossible unless buying them used. There is always the option of buying through the FFG site BUT, the cost for shipping is making it very unappealing and the cost for the ships are higher, understandably not competing with the stores prices.

A simple question is; will ffg reprint the earlier Waves?

This is not simply a concern for me personally but for the game (locally) as a whole and for its growth.

1. No available ships = no new players.

2. No new players = shrinking player base.

Where I am located, second largest city in the country, its me and another player that is the local meta. No store helps out with tournaments or events, its just us "promoting", if you can call it that, the game, which is difficult.

Why it looks like this is hard to say exactly and speculations can be given.

My take on this is the expensive starter. The fact that you get so much you dont want as one player in this set is offputting for most people. Sure if you find someone that you can share the Core set with and split the upgrade cards and ships its fine, but you only get one damage deck, and one set of obstacles. This is great over a kitchen table but not competetively.

If there were one Rebel core set and one Imperial core set, The player base would have been bigger. Cheaper startup costs and not getting things you wont use raises the games worth.

FFG will most certainly (hopefully) do this for the Clonewars ships, or they might just stick to the old core and leave the newer players with 3 ships and upgrades they cant use, which is not a great idea, unless they have thought of a way to make those ships work for the new faction.

On another note, I dont want to say that this game is overly expensive either. You can get a fully functional list for a cheap price compared to WH40K. Discussing how much some of those players put into their hobby is making me wake up in the middle of the night sweaty and screaming in horror.

Im sorry for bringing the doom and gloom but I need reasurance that the game has a future here and that I dont have to travel to another country to play a game or 2...

Yep, I wrote the same post one year ago. I have during this year managed to get a hold of all expansions and just recieved the SSD which is awesome!

I think it all gets down to patience really as they are re-printing a couple of times a year.

7 hours ago, Gilarius said:

It's 'Rule Brittannia!' and a bit of a jingoistic rant about being supremely powerful and able to overwhelm everyone else with military force...

Actually, it's "Rule, Britannia!"

When the song was originally composed in 1740, Britain was a strong naval power, but couldn't be said to actually 'Rule the Waves' per se. The song was therefore a sort of call to arms, asking Britons to try and make sure that they were the ones ruling the waves.

However by the late 18th century this had actually happened, and the Royal Navy had almost unchallenged control of the world's oceans. The song's lyrics were therefore often changed from "Rule, Britannia! Britannia, rule the waves" to "Rule Britannia! Britannia rules the waves!"

On 8/17/2019 at 9:56 AM, cynanbloodbane said:

Armada is and always has been a better designed game than X-wing. It has no need for a 2nd edition, and I don't see the demand from the player base. X-WING lost almost as many players as it gained with 2nd edition, and it was a total mess, that the community was begging to be fixed. 

An Armada 2nd edition would probably do what repeated delays could not, kill the Armada community.

Just my 2 credits, but I stand by it.

Agreed. Best ffg could do for Armada is a 1.5 edition wherein only the more problematic bits of cardboard where replaced. I don't see an actual 2.0 happening in the near future.