UnitOmega

Next RPG release possibly leaked

Sourcing from a Reddit thread, seems a little elaborate for a hoax though since I'm not a retailer it's not like I can check Alliance. It would fit with the Gencon adventure as well. The short form description makes me think of a book more like Emerald Empire, with multiple sections about a variety of topics related to ronin or gaijin and locations, and probably a big block of specific character options at the back, rather than the Great Clan focus for the past couple books. Still no sign of CoS PDF. 

I bet that there will be at least a handful of Gaijin schools. Qaliphate Merchant, Bedouin and Sahir, Ivory Kingdoms Merchant, Ujik Raider, Yobanjin Peddler, Portuga Sailor. A few Ronin schools. Geisha, Self-Thaught Shugenja, Perfect Land Subversive.

I also hope that there some Minor Clans. Mantis, Tortoise, Sparrow, Cat. Maybe also the Mantis allies from former editions: Fox, Wasp, Centipede.

My players are already wanting to flip through multiple books when playing and leveling up to see all the options available. Its becoming unwieldy. Starting to dislike the format FFG has chosen for this game. Not buying any more especially after Courts of Stone offered little to nothing useful for the GM aside from some fluff. 1 adventure seed in the whole book that was supposed to inspire courtly intrigue and it wasn't even related to the courts. 

Looks pretty cool to me.  My mind is already churning with adventure ideas and I just got Courts of Stone & Winter's Embrace yesterday. 

With respect to the new books offering player options, I see that as a business strategy that lots of games are using these days.  Agreed that it can be unwieldy at the table and/or when leveling up, but I think these companies see it as a great way to maintain interest and momentum beyond the core book(s).  And obviously, as some here have noted, you can just opt to not buy the supplements.  Personally I tend to be a completist, so I'm in for the long haul...

19 hours ago, MonCalamariAgainstDrunkDriving said:

If your players want the options, I think it's reasonable to expect them to pay for additional sourcebooks.

I agree.  If they bring the sourcebook and it is an FFG product, then that should make the DM's job easier.  Put some of the burden on the players so the DM is not the one exclusively invested in the game.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:29 PM, BowelEvacuation said:

My players are already wanting to flip through multiple books when playing and leveling up to see all the options available. Its becoming unwieldy. Starting to dislike the format FFG has chosen for this game. Not buying any more especially after Courts of Stone offered little to nothing useful for the GM aside from some fluff. 1 adventure seed in the whole book that was supposed to inspire courtly intrigue and it wasn't even related to the courts. 

I find the format FFG is using to work better in some regards than the one one AEG used for 4th Edition. I mean, at least all the mechanics are in one place in each of the books. By making them each have a Great Clan, a Minor Clan, and then stuff about a specific aspect, that works great at making each book more generally useful. And, with politics, the "fluff" is the most important stuff. Everything useable by the players is usable by the GM, but knowing how courts work is essential for running the courts. I found the details in Courts of Stone on the Winter Court to be far more useful than the details in Sowrd and Fan, for example.

As for it being "unwieldy" for players looking through the books for options...there are currently not that many books: Core book, Emerald Empire, Shadowlands, and Courts of Stone. If that is unwieldy, I would hate how you see a) earlier edition of L5R, and b) pretty much any RPG that has been around for a number of years and has a complete game line as opposed to one just starting off.

On 8/19/2019 at 2:49 AM, sakieh said:

I would hate how you see a) earlier edition of L5R, and b) pretty much any RPG that has been around for a number of years and has a complete game line as opposed to one just starting off.

While I tend to agree that the game isn't in unwieldy territory right now, I would point to FFG's Star Wars books as an unwieldy possible future -- although even then, it was only really bad if you were looking for very specific information or trying to min-max the **** out of a character build.

That's not to say that I think L5R is going to necessarily have that volume of titles, just that I'm never going to accuse FFG of being stingy when it comes to publishing new books.

On 8/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, Alisair Longreach said:

I expect that L5R will end up with 7 Clan books and 3 fat non-Clan books with the third being about the Minor Clans.

My bet is each year will see two Q1 and Q2 source books the size of Shadowlands and CoS and a neutral Q4 setting book similar to EE and PoW. This would give them a stable release pattern until 2022.