Darth Meanie

Better (335 Days) Late Than Never

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, J1mBob said:

I gotta start testing out those Environments...

It was a lot of fun, and added a whole new level to tactics.  Once, for my turn, I was able to force Dooku to turn the way I wanted, and once I had to change my maneuver because I would then need thereafter to pull an obvious turn and hit the rock I knew was going to be placed, or go off the board.

And you remind me, I need to post this other photo to show how someone else makes my game shine:

u6gVUTL.jpg

:wub:

Edited by Darth Meanie

9 hours ago, Darth Meanie said:

DM gives 2.0 a thumbs up!

This will be a day long remembered...

And that's just with X-Wings and TIE Fighters. Definitely a great place to start, but lots of 2.0's great design features are yet to come. Red and linked actions, ship abilities, rotating turret arcs, force users and powers. They all fit so naturally into the game I struggle to remember what the game was like without them.

Welcome to the 2.0 side! I knew you could do it, and you’d have fun once you did.

Now make sure to pick up the huge ship conversion when it drops plus that epic box. Got to see the new scenarios in there (hopefully we get a preview article of the epic box scenarios soon)

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, heychadwick said:

Wow.....Darth....I never realized you didn't convert over.  I'm glad you did, though.   Was it your brother's first games, too? 

Was it what you expected?  Different? Had you been playing 1st Ed for the past year?  I would love to hear some thoughts on it.

Yes, it was my brother's 1st 2.0 game, too.  We have been playing out my 1.0 campaign for the last year, and then have not played much because of summertime.

Also, several FFG promises have been fulfilled over the last year which make it seem like it was time to step in:

• Epic is on the horizon
  • Environments and missions are going to be a thing
  • New factions mean that we don't actually have to convert: we can buy 2.0 stuff and just play without needing to convert at all
  • After initial release the game seemed smaller; a year's worth of releases has increased the options again.

Also, now that the fervor has died down, my brother was able to pick up a Rebel conversion kit very cheap!

As far as the game goes, I see lots of new neat mechanisms: my brother used remotes in the second game, and while it really didn't work out for him the mechanic is cool.  Having to line up bullseyes to make use of EPTs is a nice way to limit the power of those abilities and reward "sweet spot" flying.  Linked actions are fun, and add to the decision making process.  2 die attacks work!!  But, as I said above, the ability to manipulate the environment in game really adds a new level to playing:  I was able to force choices and needed to make choices based on something other than ships and dials.  Suddenly it not just fly and shoot. . .now it's fly--OMG rock!--fly different and several turns later cope with the in game consequences of 6 semi-randomly placed rocks.  The evolving physical battlefield is a great new aspect of the game that I hope FFG continues to explore.

I think my only major "criticism" is Charge Token Management.  Oi.  Some of my T-70s had 6+ charges to keep track of--ordnance charges, astromech charges, and ability charges.  OTOH, I can see how this is an excellent game mechanic: I get a load-out of missiles instead of just one-and-done, and powerful mechanics like regen get in-game-use caps.  I also liked how Iden's pilot ability is Charged, and hope to see more pilots that get to do something super cool--once per game.  (In my game, Iden stopped 2 hits and a crit!!  Totally awesome, saved her wingman, but then she was just an I4 generic.)  So, I think I just need to get used to it. . .and yet I dread the thought of just how many Charges my Epic lists will carry!!!!

Also, it's a little odd that some abilities like Dooku's actually refer to token color.  And neither of use could figure out what the Stressed Token was! 😂

Edited by Darth Meanie

17 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Also, it's a little odd that some abilities like Dooku's actually refer to token color.  And neither of use could figure out what the Stressed Token was! 😂

Well if you still are wondering, it’s a red token ;) 

I think they did color based tokens to save space: they don’t need to say “focus, evade, or reinforce tokens” anymore. Just green tokens. It also helps players remember which tokens are removed when on timing chart.

8 minutes ago, ScummyRebel said:

Well if you still are wondering, it’s a red token ;) 

I think they did color based tokens to save space: they don’t need to say “focus, evade, or reinforce tokens” anymore. Just green tokens. It also helps players remember which tokens are removed when on timing chart.

It also helps future-proof the game.  They can add new tokens of a given color which can still interact with old abilities without errata.

Posted (edited)

I actually bought core sets and conversion kits for my Father in Law and "Uncle in Law," the two people I play with the most. That was way back at Christmas. I've been playing 2.0 at the FLGS, but it's just not the same.

My Father in Law has finally bitten the bullet and got his stuff punched out, assembled and organized. It was the N-1 that won him over in the end. I'm supposed to get my first 2.0 game with him tonight. We'll see if the other will follow.

Edited by ClassicalMoser
Typos

Posted (edited)

I expecto patronum you 🧙‍♀️

(I think its beneficial, not sure tho )

Where are this enviromental cards coming from? The "dont tell me the odds" expansion is months away.

Edited by LUZ_TAK

10 minutes ago, LUZ_TAK said:

I expecto patronum you 🧙‍♀️

(I think its beneficial, not sure tho )

Where are this enviromental cards coming from? The "dont tell me the odds" expansion is months away.

There were s couple spoiled in the card packs article. The other one is minefield, but we don't have 2.0 rules for Cluster Mines yet.

10 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

There were s couple spoiled in the card packs article. The other one is minefield, but we don't have 2.0 rules for Cluster Mines yet.

I thought if we didn't have rules for something yet we were supposed to just make up numbers (or use 1.0 rules) and then complain about how over/under-powered it is and claim that anyone who advises we wait for the real values and/or text is a shill for FFG.

1 minute ago, JJ48 said:

I thought if we didn't have rules for something yet we were supposed to just make up numbers (or use 1.0 rules) and then complain about how over/under-powered it is and claim that anyone who advises we wait for the real values and/or text is a shill for FFG.

I think they got blocked by FFG...

29 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I'm taking a ride in a 75-year-old B-17 this weekend. 

Don't jinx me. 😅

Enjoy. I went up in a Harvard this summer (T-6 Texan) and a Tiger Moth a few years back. It’s a joy to go up in those vintage planes. Haven’t gone up in a B-17, but have crawled through one. Very tiny. Much preferred the Lancaster.