MidWestScrub

[Blog] Remembering the Fallen: First Edition Pilots We Would Like To See In Second Edition.

Posted (edited)

When I read the title, I was thinking about Thweek. Glad to see it is the first pilot on your page 🙂

I'd also like to see Carnor Jax

Edited by flooze

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, MidWestScrub said:

I miss Thweek so much. Lol. But I do understand why they haven't given him to me. 

I'm not sure having the ability copying portion of his ability would translate to being equivocal to what it was in 1.0. It might push the metas he shows up in hard over to droids and force users making him a waste of points by rending the ability effectively non-existent.

Edited by Hiemfire

25 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

I'm not sure having the ability copying portion of his ability would translate to being equivocal to what it was in 1.0. It might push the metas he shows up in hard over to droids and force users making him a waste of points by rending the ability effectively non-existent.

Very true. The ability stinks for abilities he can't use like force users or any ability that references an turret arc. Perhaps copying initiative can still be done, but price him accordingly. 

2 minutes ago, 5050Saint said:

Very true. The ability stinks for abilities he can't use like force users or any ability that references an turret arc. Perhaps copying initiative can still be done, but price him accordingly. 

Though what would be pricing accordingly? As an I6?

54 minutes ago, MidWestScrub said:

You would have to price him as an I6. But an I6 Starviper would be pretty broken. 

And Thweek would be a massive waste of points against any list w/o an I6 if he was priced at that level. Rose colored glasses aside, I don't see them returning due to how they would likely be costed if they had their Init matching ability and the extremely matchup dependent effect of their second ability.

1 hour ago, Crimsonwarlock said:

Where my Wes Jansen at.  He should be ok since R3-A2 is gone

Wes would likely be brought over as "after you perform an attack, the defender receives a jam token". At a potential I5, that would be decent for anti-alpha striking, and would be a reason to actually take 1st player.

Fel's Wrath? Fel's Wrath.

Give him a single, non recurring charge, and word his ability as "During the engagement phase, if this ship is destroyed, spend one charge. Do not remove this ship. At the end of the engagement phase, discard all damage cards dealt to this ship, and deal two facedown damage cards."

You get the full Fel's Wrath experience of having an ability linked to dying, without it be entirely useless; he gets to limp on one hull, ready to do some Wrath-ing.

57 minutes ago, AceDogbert said:

Fel's Wrath? Fel's Wrath.

Give him a single, non recurring charge, and word his ability as "During the engagement phase, if this ship is destroyed, spend one charge. Do not remove this ship. At the end of the engagement phase, discard all damage cards dealt to this ship, and deal two facedown damage cards."

You get the full Fel's Wrath experience of having an ability linked to dying, without it be entirely useless; he gets to limp on one hull, ready to do some Wrath-ing.

Seems very Tel Trevura, so Tel's Wrath?

Definitely agree we need more Ashoka in the Rebels Faction. And I miss Valen in a TAP. (Or put him in a defender for all the lols) 

I also miss Tycho, Keyan, Nera, Tarn, and Wes Janson. 

I do not miss Carnor Jax, but a lot of people do, so I think he should be brought back. 

Oh and Fels wrath would be hilarious.

8 hours ago, svelok said:

people always miss the most busted abilities, the free-est dice mods, and the highest initiative pilots... thats the thing that makes me scared of the future of new pilots for old ships - give people what they actually ask for and the i5/6 bloat would be insane

It’s not there already? I think we have yet to see a pure generic list crack a top cut at a major event. 

5 hours ago, Nyxen said:

Tarn Mison was my boy back in 1e, when I wasn't being an imperial tryhard at least.

Tarn and Hobbie both had interesting abilities.  I wouldn't hate seeing either of them come back, particularly since the droid which paired well with them don't exist anymore.

As to Wes and Tycho, while I don't hate the idea of the *character* coming back, I hope their abilities never do.  Wes's better Range 3 Jam felt kinda busted to me.  Tycho is at best boring, and at worst too much action economy.

8 hours ago, gennataos said:

[Thweek]

Gross.  No.

Yeah, Thweek cannot return as anything resembling 1e Thweek.  Pilot ability copying has the potential to lead to so many busted effects.  The fact that some would be useless is irrelevant, too many would be broken as ****.  Initiative tricks would be simply absurd as well.

In 1e, Thweek was held back by the fact that he couldn't take a talent.  In 2e, linked actions mean that he essentially has Push the Limit.  To quote Jalen Rose: "Naw... Not Gonna Be Able To Do It!"  It's not even remotely justifiable from a balance standpoint.

OK, I'll take that back.

Thweek can come back 6 months before the end of 2e and the beginning of 3e.  Let folks have fun with the broken stuff for a little bit, but make sure he doesn't transition to 3rd Edition until, well, just before the dawn of 4th Edition.

3 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Wookiee Liberator

Init 2 or 3 Talented generic Wookiee for 50 points* would be sweet.  Good pick.

tumblr_oi3k42aZdG1s2wio8o1_540.gif

* 4x Wookiees with equipped talents should not be a list.  At 50 points, that'd represent the choice between 16 points of upgrades at Init 1, or Init 2 without upgrades.  I'm fine with that.

Thweek nonsense could be reigned in by charges and possibly also limiting the Init shadow to the activation phase.

The mimic ability effect was always the most interesting one for me, I'd like to see a way to make it consistently useful and a genuine alternative choice. Might be a real way to break the game but a one time only use on a friendly ship could be cool.

So- 3(?) non recurring charges, during the System Phase, you may spend 1 charge, if you do, select one enemy ship, treat your Init value as the same as that ship for the duration of the activation phase.

Spend 2 charges to select 1 ship. For the remainder of the turn, treat your pilot ability as the same as that ship.

Gonna need a bigger text box.

Might not be broken? Might need a.... tweak.

13 minutes ago, heychadwick said:

Backstabber is my pick.  I played the **** out of him since Wave 1.  He was my go to Tie Fighter pilot.  Great in any list.   Man, I miss him.

Mine was always Dark Curse. I wouldn't mind getting him back too, though his ability was annoying to face.

Unfortunatlely, I suspect the odds of any pilot with re-used artwork coming back is slim.

Posted (edited)

I also kinda miss Zeta Ace.  Being able to use 2-length Barrel Rolls was a nifty but not-super-amazing ability.

Oh man.  What if the TIE Silencer "Rush" in the upcoming pilots pack had essentially that ability: able to use 2-speed boosts and barrel rolls instead of 1-speed?  That'd be SWEET, even if mid-level (3 or 4) initiative.

Edited by theBitterFig