Uchidan1

Community Expansion: Tusken Raiders

Posted (edited)

Hello everyone! 

I am working on a "Community Expansion" in the form of Condition Units for the Tusken Raiders.

I just wanted to get your guys feedback on the two units here. They are condition units, so neither player plays them.

• At the start of the game starting with the blue player, each player places 1 Tusken Unit within 1-2 of the objective until there are no remaining Tusken units. 
  • Each Tusken unit comes with an Activation token, when a Tusken unit is activated by their "Hostile" keyword, that unit is exhausted until the next round. - During a Players Activation, their opponent will roll the dice for any Tusken attacks and/or defenses. 

3x Tusken Raiders and 1x Bantha Rider for a total of 10 Tuskens running around as a Terrain Hazard or a Scenario. Let me know what you think! Thank you. 

Click the following link to view and download the Tusken Unit Condition cards: Tusken Territory Community Expansion  <<<<<

*** The photo below is outdated, please see the above link for updated unit cards and the condition card on the wordpress website****

Tusken Condition Cards.jpg

Edited by Uchidan1

13 hours ago, Uchidan1 said:

Hello everyone! 

I am working on a "Community Expansion" in the form of Condition Units for the Tusken Raiders. I would like them to come with a Scenario as well (Something like "Retrieve the Droid from the Tusken Camp"

Anyway! I just wanted to get your guys feedback on the two units here. They are condition units, so neither player plays them.

• At the start of the game starting with the blue player, each player places 1 Tusken Unit within 1-2 of the objective until there are no remaining Tusken units. 
  • Each Tusken unit comes with an Activation token, when a Tusken unit is activated by their "Hostile" keyword, that unit is exhausted until the next round. - During a Players Activation, their opponent will roll the dice for any Tusken attacks and/or defenses. 

3x Tusken Raiders and 1x Bantha Rider for a total of 10 tusken's running around as a Terrain Hazard or a Scenario. Let me know what you think! Thank you. 

Tusken Condition Cards.jpg

I like it and i will play test it sometime soon with my IA models i add to my battle rap as well we can see how it plays out but slight changes are I think that it will attack the person moving so it creates a strategy into when to move ad charge to both but i love it thanks and i look forward to trying this  with my group i post link to video og game after

1 hour ago, Fistofriles said:

I like it and i will play test it sometime soon with my IA models i add to my battle rap as well we can see how it plays out but slight changes are I think that it will attack the person moving so it creates a strategy into when to move ad charge to both but i love it thanks and i look forward to trying this  with my group i post link to video og game after

That sounds Awesome! I would love to see a video of it in play. Let me know how it goes, I am sure they need some more testing a tweaking before finalizing it. 

I like the idea.   I'd hope FFG would do similar battlefield cards.   

My one hangup is the hostile keyword.   I think it could be cleaned up a bit, and I'm not sure that it needs separate versions.   If it is meant to be a roaming creature of sorts, it could be simplified.   

I appreciate what you have done, but it seems more of a unit someone would field in an army.  

Having it more like the minefield card, but mobile might work.    Having separate “units” that activated like the minefield condition, when someone got within a range could be a simpler method.    

If these were meant to be obstacles to impede either or both players during a game from accomplishing the objective, then they should be simple.   Along these lines, do these units even need the defense die roll?  Why not just remove them when they suffer a number of wounds?  

Again this is all from the view of a condition card for a standard game, but even a simple form could be fine for a scenario. 

36 minutes ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

I like the idea.   I'd hope FFG would do similar battlefield cards.   

My one hangup is the hostile keyword.   I think it could be cleaned up a bit, and I'm not sure that it needs separate versions.   If it is meant to be a roaming creature of sorts, it could be simplified.   

I appreciate what you have done, but it seems more of a unit someone would field in an army.  

Having it more like the minefield card, but mobile might work.    Having separate “units” that activated like the minefield condition, when someone got within a range could be a simpler method.    

If these were meant to be obstacles to impede either or both players during a game from accomplishing the objective, then they should be simple.   Along these lines, do these units even need the defense die roll?  Why not just remove them when they suffer a number of wounds?  

Again this is all from the view of a condition card for a standard game, but even a simple form could be fine for a scenario. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Unfortunately, I think simplifying them would cause more harm than good in terms of confusion in my opinion. Having them just "take a number of wounds" would remove them too easily without rolling defense dice/suppression/card effects/etc.  my hope is that they have more of a presence as if they were a third player that was playing them. Just my thought.  

Posted (edited)

@Uchidan1

Ran through a small quick game to test out the units, I actually really enjoyed it.

It forces you to make and think about doing things differently then you would otherwise. So that was definitely accomplished. 

The raiders basically just threw out some suppression which was annoying but expected and died quickly. HOWEVER that bantha really made things fun with ram, suppressive, and Armor 1 it managed to cause a lot of havoc to a an unlucky squad. DO NOT GO NEAR MY FRIENDS.

I loved it, will definitely be playing with them again.

Edited by Matt3412

Posted (edited)
On 8/14/2019 at 9:11 PM, Matt3412 said:

@Uchidan1

Ran through a small quick game to test out the units, I actually really enjoyed it.

It forces you to make and think about doing things differently then you would otherwise. So that was definitely accomplished. 

The raiders basically just threw out some suppression which was annoying but expected and died quickly. HOWEVER that bantha really made things fun with ram, suppressive, and Armor 1 it managed to cause a lot of havoc to a an unlucky squad. DO NOT GO NEAR MY FRIENDS.

I loved it, will definitely be playing with them again.

AWESOME! I am so glad it worked well for you. I am tweaking the cards a little bit. I am adding Pierce 1 to both of the Cycler Rifles, and adding 1 white die to the Bantha Rider's Cycler Rifle. 

Thank you so much for trying it out! 

On 8/15/2019 at 1:59 AM, SailorMeni said:

I like it!

But one thing isn't clear: the timing of the hostile attacks. Do they happen before or after the triggering attack resolves? Or is it supposed to be active players choice?

I am glad that you liked it! 

Yeah I am gonna alter the text to say "After" an enemy unit performs an action so it clears up when they activate. 

Also changing their Hostile wording to:

HOSTILE: MOVE/ATTACK  (After an enemy unit performs an action within range 1-3, 

this unit performs a ranged attack to the closest enemy unit  within line of sight, if able.

If there is an enemy unit within line of sight at range 1, this unit instead performs a full

speed move towards the closest enemy unit and/or if engaged performs an attack, if able.)  "

Edited by Uchidan1

22 hours ago, Fistofriles said:

That Bantha model needs to be at least twice as big and fit on a giant base.

22 minutes ago, buckero0 said:

That Bantha model needs to be at least twice as big and fit on a giant base.

I believe the Bantha should be on a Large base like the Dewback is, I find it so hard to believe that all these awesome custom models people make online and no one has made Tuskens or Banthas....

4 hours ago, Uchidan1 said:

I believe the Bantha should be on a Large base like the Dewback is, I find it so hard to believe that all these awesome custom models people make online and no one has made Tuskens or Banthas....

They're elepahnts in fur coats, they definitely need to be on Huge bases.

14 minutes ago, arnoldrew said:

They're elepahnts in fur coats, they definitely need to be on Huge bases.

Adult Dewbacks can grow to the size of 2.1 meters. Adult Banthas can grow to the size of 2.0 to 2.5 😛

3 hours ago, Uchidan1 said:

Adult Dewbacks can grow to the size of 2.1 meters. Adult Banthas can grow to the size of 2.0 to 2.5 😛

I dont know which bases are which. Is the huge base the AtSt one or the atrt? I think the Bantha could be on either but it would look weird or engulf the atrt one. Some of the sculpts in legion look like retooled IA sculpts so i could see a similar thing happening at some point. I love your rules but really want a Merc faction with sand people as an option

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, buckero0 said:

I dont know which bases are which. Is the huge base the AtSt one or the atrt? I think the Bantha could be on either but it would look weird or engulf the atrt one. Some of the sculpts in legion look like retooled IA sculpts so i could see a similar thing happening at some point. I love your rules but really want a Merc faction with sand people as an option

AR-RT = Large
AT-ST = Huge

I would like to see merc factions too! However, Tusken's teaming up with any faction seems a bit far fetched. That's why I decided to make them Terrain Hazards because I'd like them to be in the game, however taking "orders" from a commander doesn't seem like their style. 

Edited by Uchidan1

10 hours ago, buckero0 said:

Small: Troopers
Medium: Speeder Bikes, Tauntauns
Large: AT-RT, Dewback
Huge: AT-ST, Airspeeder

They aren't retooled IA sculpts, they are just sculpts of the same thing. How different do you expect Stormtroopers to be?

" Tusken Raiders, less formally referred to as "Sand People", were a culture of nomadic, primitive sentients indigenous
to Tatooine, where they were often hostile to local settlers and intruders. The battlefield has expanded into their territory
and they are ready to defend it with their lives. 

Within this Community Expansion, you'll find units that will form aggressive threats to your armies as you fight for supremacy.
Included are the condition unit cards for the unpredictable Tusken Raiders and the massive Bantha Rider. The amount of Tusken
units on the battlefield is your choice, each unit will increase the difficulty and casualties of the battle.  These condition units come
with a custom keyword: Hostile, which will cause them to attack the closest enemy unit that moves within their range. 

Field these units using custom miniatures, or Tusken Raider miniatures from either Imperial Assault or Wizard of the Coast.
Legion base adapters can be found on Thingverse.com. "

10 hours ago, Uchidan1 said:

AR-RT = Large
AT-ST = Huge

I would like to see merc factions too! However, Tusken's teaming up with any faction seems a bit far fetched. That's why I decided to make them Terrain Hazards because I'd like them to be in the game, however taking "orders" from a commander doesn't seem like their style. 

Theyd work great in a scenario, but i could see sandtroopers working for a Jabba or other Tatooine based Merc faction army. They maybe wouldn't be allowed in every Merc faction, but only with certain Commanders that"unlock" them.

5 hours ago, arnoldrew said:

They aren't retooled IA sculpts, they are just sculpts of the same thing. How different do you expect Stormtroopers to be?

Some of the legion sculpts are retooled IA sculpts. This is all done digitally I'm sure so there's no reason not to re-use some of them. Some of the stormtroopers, snowtroopers are. The dewback and Sabine are  identical. Chewbacca maybe. I'd have to dig my stuff out to see if others are.

1 hour ago, buckero0 said:

Some of the legion sculpts are retooled IA sculpts. This is all done digitally I'm sure so there's no reason not to re-use some of them. Some of the stormtroopers, snowtroopers are. The dewback and Sabine are  identical. Chewbacca maybe. I'd have to dig my stuff out to see if others are.

Not a single one of those are identical. Many of them are similar, given that they are, you know, sculpts of the exact same thing.