Freeptop

Pulling the Strings (Nantex article up)

10 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

In this post, Mep had already explained that his post wasn't meant as a slight, and yet SpiderMana decided to continue on and read it as insulting anyway.  I don't approve of personal attacks, but neither do I approve of actively searching for reasons to be offended.

Fair, wrong post. But I don't see any post that explains Mep's intention before the one you quoted. Just the flippant one Kreen referenced. But with a desire not to drag this out further, I will leave it there.

4 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

I was kindof thinking this might be the case, myself. But "a lot" of Talent cards in a pack doesn't really mean that it definitely will have two slots, and that's the best we have to go off of, for now. Especially since two of them are ship-specific, likely inflating the number somewhat artificially, if that makes sense.

Really just have to wait ;)

The ship specific ones certainly do provide that possibility. I wonder what the most broken talent combination you could come up with for the ship would be if it does have two. Ensnare and Outmaneuver could easily mean a 3+ red die attack with no defensive options for the vast majority of ships. Is that too powerful if Ensnare is expensive?

11 minutes ago, GeneralVryth said:

Fair, wrong post. But I don't see any post that explains Mep's intention before the one you quoted. Just the flippant one Kreen referenced. But with a desire not to drag this out further, I will leave it there.

The ship specific ones certainly do provide that possibility. I wonder what the most broken talent combination you could come up with for the ship would be if it does have two. Ensnare and Outmaneuver could easily mean a 3+ red die attack with no defensive options for the vast majority of ships. Is that too powerful if Ensnare is expensive?

Nantex can’t use outmaneuver unless it’s on a snap shot. No front arc.

1 minute ago, Caduceus01 said:

Nantex can’t use outmaneuver unless it’s on a snap shot. No front arc.

I like that answer. I can't think of anything else that would be too ridiculous then. Both predator and marksmen synergize well with the primary arc but not overbearingly so.

On 8/13/2019 at 12:30 PM, Tervlon said:

If only you could fly these alongside the Quadrajet Tugs, the tractoring would be out of control!

Imagine if you will a fight between tugboats and nantex’s. No dice. No shots. Only slamming each other into rocks and tractoring themselves so that the others can’t do it to them.

20 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

I just looked it actually comes with 4. I know it doesn’t mean for sure it will have 2 slots but it’s a good bet I think.

It's also a ship which almost surely only has Talent and Modification slots.  No cannon, droid, crew, gunner, system, ordnance of any sort.  So... if you want to have more than like 2 upgrades int he kit, you'll need a lot of copies of .

Like, the TIE Fighter has 3 talents out of 4 upgrades.  Upcoming TIE Interceptor looks like it has 3 out of 5.

5 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

Imagine if you will a fight between tugboats and nantex’s. No dice. No shots. Only slamming each other into rocks and tractoring themselves so that the others can’t do it to them.

I'm all in for this! Unless someone brought only gas clouds...

19 hours ago, JJ48 said:

So, these things have gravity-based defenses?  VONG CONFIRMED!

I’ve finally decided why I liked the Vong so much. I always love the idea of taking a rich, complex, spaceborn political system and slamming it with a completely novel threat that even the original authors didn’t plan for.

I want an alien landing in ASOIAF. I want a wizards war to slam into Independence Day 3. I love that whole idea, even if lots of people hate it.

DO IT, MOUSE! Add the Vong!

3 minutes ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

If you bring tractor beams and gas clouds you should prolly just be coloring instead.

The advantage of clouds with Nantex is that you can literally just ignore them.  Obstacles don't cause tractor-based Boosts and Barrel Rolls to fail, so you can just scoot over them.  Along with Gravitic Deflection, you'd have massive maneuverability and potent green dice.

Now, I think the Ensnare + Rocks strategy is probably better, but clouds aren't necessarily useless for the right Nantex lists...

3 hours ago, pickirk01 said:

I have a question.  Can you "fail" a rotate action by trying to rotate to an invalid direction?  If so, does the arc stay where it was?

As there are 3 quadrants to choose from, you would be hard up to fail. You can’t voluntarily fail something if there are options you can take, even if you don’t want to. 

8 hours ago, TasteTheRainbow said:

I’ve finally decided why I liked the Vong so much. I always love the idea of taking a rich, complex, spaceborn political system and slamming it with a completely novel threat that even the original authors didn’t plan for.

I want an alien landing in ASOIAF. I want a wizards war to slam into Independence Day 3. I love that whole idea, even if lots of people hate it.

DO IT, MOUSE! Add the Vong!

You need to read Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. It's about the Lost Roman Legion becoming Pokemon masters to fight the Zerg, and it's glorious.

Another interesting thing with Nantex. It is primarily a mobile arc 2die-gun, only occasionally getting the 3die attack if lining up a bullseye.

However, when doing final salvo, they most probably count as a 3die gun:

"Final Salvo
If both players have the same score at the end of a game, they must fire a 
Final Salvo to determine the winner. To fire a Final Salvo, each player adds 
together the highest printed, unmodified primary weapon value of each of their 
remaining ships"/ "If a game ends in mutual destruction, each player instead adds together the highest printed, unmodified primary weapon value of each of the ships in their squad and rolls attack dice equal to that number"

3 hours ago, Managarmr said:

Another interesting thing with Nantex. It is primarily a mobile arc 2die-gun, only occasionally getting the 3die attack if lining up a bullseye.

However, when doing final salvo, they most probably count as a 3die gun:

"Final Salvo
If both players have the same score at the end of a game, they must fire a 
Final Salvo to determine the winner. To fire a Final Salvo, each player adds 
together the highest printed, unmodified primary weapon value of each of their 
remaining ships"/ "If a game ends in mutual destruction, each player instead adds together the highest printed, unmodified primary weapon value of each of the ships in their squad and rolls attack dice equal to that number"

No most probably about it, unless they change the rule. Salvo uses the highest printed value which for the Nantex is 3.

16 hours ago, Caduceus01 said:

I am convinced that the ship was designed around ensnare so I believe the lowest generic will have one talent slot and the others will have 2. Why else would the pack come with 3 different Talents? No one ever said the A-wing would be the only ship to ever get 2 talents

Not that it matters too much, but I think it was designed around Ensnare and Gravitational Deflection.  I could see that all of them have a slot.   I think Gravitational Def is for the lower Init pilots because you can't be sure you will be within R0-1 of someone in your turret arc.   

9 hours ago, PhantomFO said:

You need to read Jim Butcher's Codex Alera series. It's about the Lost Roman Legion becoming Pokemon masters to fight the Zerg, and it's glorious.

I enjoyed his cat POV is Aeronaut’s Windlass. I’ll check this out, thanks!

17 hours ago, Scum4Life said:

Ensnare to cost 4 points at I1 and goes up point per initive all the way to 9 points at I6

Gravity Deflection a flat 4 points

Ensnare's a weird one since it fires at start of engagement not during activation. If its get heavily discounted on low Ini, spam could be an issue. If you have it on several ships (and esp if you believe that range conditions don't need to be met for an ability to enter the que) then 3x low-Ini ensnares will be likely be stronger than 2x high-Ini ensnares

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, prauxim said:

Ensnare's a weird one since it fires at start of engagement not during activation. If its get heavily discounted on low Ini, spam could be an issue. If you have it on several ships (and esp if you believe that range conditions don't need to be met for an ability to enter the que) then 3x low-Ini ensnares will be likely be stronger than 2x high-Ini ensnares

Not necessarily

Tractor reduces agility and makes it far easier to I kill some poor bastard

Therefore, more reliable high I ensnares plus attacks (esp from the Faqer) should generally prove to be more devastating

Now, there is a distinct possibility that a sort-of-swarm (ala 5 Rz-a2s) of Nantex will be possible depending on cost, in which case you'll just see the entire spectrum of ensnares!

Edited by ficklegreendice