Freeptop

Pulling the Strings (Nantex article up)

5 minutes ago, joyrock said:

OK, since this article helped me decide I want to play separatist, what is the best purchase to start with? 

Where are you starting from and what style do you like to play?

Posted (edited)

Whatever these cost, I can see the prices being TOTALLY wrong.

Sun Fac with Ensnare has a fully white dial, with Init 6 reposition (and can do it even if their maneuver is blocked), which puts a tractor token on an opponent (possibly denying them a shot due to a rock!), granting you a 4-dice range 1 turret shot, against their minus 1 agility.

That's the kind of thing which can be catastrophic when it happens to you, and can end a game.  Put Quickdraw on a rock and strip all the shields...  GGWP.

Or...

Sun Fac's arc was already pointed in direction they want to shoot, so either they wind up in a bad position, or they have to swing their arc to a useless direction.

//

Anyhow, do these folks want to take Rocks so you can tractor your opponents onto them to deny attacks, or do you want gas clouds, so you can tractor yourself over them without penalty?

Edited by theBitterFig

31 minutes ago, joyrock said:

OK, since this article helped me decide I want to play separatist, what is the best purchase to start with? 

Probably like, 2-3 Servants of Strife and a Hyena or 2.  Probably a Sith Infiltrator (even if you're not super interesed in it, the Probe Droids are really solid in swarms)  .The faction is not super big and you get the options that matter in a handful of  places

34 minutes ago, joyrock said:

Servants of Strife has the best value, then I’d probably get an Interceptor or a couple Hyenas, depending on how swarmy you’re looking to play.

The standalone Vulture is the only place to get Buzz Droids, otherwise you might as well stick to more SoS to get more Vultures. Again, best bang for your buck with essentially a free ship.

1 minute ago, SpiderMana said:

Servants of Strife has the best value, then I’d probably get an Interceptor or a couple Hyenas, depending on how swarmy you’re looking to play.

The standalone Vulture is the only place to get Buzz Droids, otherwise you might as well stick to more SoS to get more Vultures. Again, best bang for your buck with essentially a free ship.

Yeah, if you don't care about Discords the unique droid that comes exclusively with the Vulture pack is literally the least useful imaginable, so that pack is super skippable unless you really want al alt scheme.

5 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Yeah, if you don't care about Discords the unique droid that comes exclusively with the Vulture pack is literally the least useful imaginable, so that pack is super skippable unless you really want al alt scheme.

You don't like DFS-311?  What have you got against Butterbot?

Frankly, I love it.  Equip Struts, set up the biggest at just over Range 3 from the board edge.  5-straight right onto it.  Sit there, calculate, and just hand the token off every turn.  24 points.  Always takes longer to die than it's points cost deserves.

Now, I don't think it's a great ship for use in Vulture/Hyena swarms, but it's felt like a really useful ship for supporting non-Vulture/Hyena Separatists.  As such, I bet it'd be really handy with Nantex.  They can easily go full-defensive or full-offensive, with a passed calculate and either an Evade or a Lock from Targeting Computer.

1 minute ago, theBitterFig said:

Frankly, I love it.  Equip Struts, set up the biggest at just over Range 3 from the board edge.  5-straight right onto it.  Sit there, calculate, and just hand the token off every turn.  24 points.  Always takes longer to die than it's points cost deserves.

Now, I don't think it's a great ship for use in Vulture/Hyena swarms, but it's felt like a really useful ship for supporting non-Vulture/Hyena Separatists.  As such, I bet it'd be really handy with Nantex.  They can easily go full-defensive or full-offensive, with a passed calculate and either an Evade or a Lock from Targeting Computer.

Is he in The pack?  I was like 90% it was the garbage "spend a calc to turn crits to hits" droid and 311 was in SoS.  I don't personally like 311 all that much, but the don't crit me droid is god awful.

12 minutes ago, MasterShake2 said:

Is he in The pack?  I was like 90% it was the garbage "spend a calc to turn crits to hits" droid and 311 was in SoS.  I don't personally like 311 all that much, but the don't crit me droid is god awful.

DFS-081's counter-crit is in SOS.  I've got 3 of those, and only one 311. :P

43 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

Oh, shoot, I forgot a couple pilots were unique to either expansion.

Honestly I really want to get a few more of the standalone and another SoS or two, just for Epic, because having two different swarms on the board at once sounds incredible.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, SpiderMana said:

1. Asexuality has nothing to do with pronouns. Ace people and Non-binary people both exist, are both included under the LGBTQ banner, and are entirely different from each other (though there are people who identify with both, I’m sure.) Educate yourself, maybe?

2. Your post distinctly implies that you would continue to call somebody “him” or “her” after they asked you to call them a “them.” Even if you wouldn’t do it to their face, that’s disrespectful of their feelings.

3. One of the X-Wing designers prefers non-binary pronouns for themself. So maybe don’t make jokes invalidating one of the people who’s made this game possible for you? Especially on their forums?

Yep, once again, did not say anything about pronouns. Was actually talking about insects, in this case intelligent insects that would use something like facebook. BTW, Geonosians have a hive mind, so "they" actually means multiple geononsians, even if referring to a single individual. This has nothing to do with LGBTQ at all, the joke has nothing to do with LGBTQ and this forum has nothing to do with LGBTQ.

SJW, gotta put words in peoples mouths to validate their own existence. Such sad sad people.

Edited by Mep

8 hours ago, Jo Jo said:

It's 2019. You know you can't make a joke about ****ing anything. 

Yeah, I know, small people gotta make themselves feel big and calling something out that actually isn't there.

10 hours ago, BenDay said:

So if your ship doesn’t have a forward arc can you equip snap shot? Is it like a cannon and a talent in a talent slot?  The card doesn't say you need a forward arc, which seems strange....

and why the ordnance symbol

Doesn’t this fit the same argument as to why the YV 666 can’t take Outmanoeuvre? It’s 180 arc is not the required 90 arc. The ship Snap Shot comes in doesn’t have a 90 arc, only bullseye and mobile. 

So what gives FFG?

3 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

Doesn’t this fit the same argument as to why the YV 666 can’t take Outmanoeuvre? It’s 180 arc is not the required 90 arc. The ship Snap Shot comes in doesn’t have a 90 arc, only bullseye and mobile. 

So what gives FFG?

Snap Shot itself is a front arc attack that does not gain or grant the bonus dice for range. Outmaneuver affects a front arc attack... Compare please.

Outmaneuverswz47_upgrade-snap-shot.pngswz62_mag-pulse-warheads.png

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

So what gives FFG?

This is something completely different. Snap Shot is not an effect triggering while you perform an attack using a specific arc (like Outmanoeuvre is). It is an attack using a specific arc. 

If anything, Snap Shot would allow ships that couldn't Outmanoeuvre before - due to incompatible arcs - Outmanoeuvre via Snap Shot. Only RZ-2 can afford it slot-wise, though.

---

PS. @Mep would you mind not dragging this dispute any longer? As far as I may agree with your stance, please let this innocent thread be. Same goes for @SpiderMana. Whichever of you is right, sort it out via DM, please.

Edited by Ryfterek
Fix a logical error

3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Most RZ-1s have 2 slots as well, or did you mean something else by "afford"?

RZ-1s can Outmanoeuvre naturally as they come with a front arc primary. What I meant was - RZ-2s are the only ones unable to Outmanoeuvre due to what arcs they use that can take both Snap Shot and Outmanoeuvre to be able to make use of the latter. 

1 minute ago, Ryfterek said:

RZ-1s can Outmanoeuvre naturally as they come with a front arc primary. What I meant was - RZ-2s are the only ones unable to Outmanoeuvre due to what arcs they use that can take both Snap Shot and Outmanoeuvre to be able to make use of the latter. 

Makes sense, though Snap/Outmaneuver on an RZ-1 still sounds nice if someone lands in the range 2 bubble with their arc pointed elsewhere. :)

36 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Snap Shot itself is a front arc attack that does not gain or grant the bonus dice for range. Outmaneuver affects a front arc attack... Compare please.

Outmaneuverswz47_upgrade-snap-shot.pngswz62_mag-pulse-warheads.png

Glad I asked the question. Obviously I was looking at it as an ability rather than a bonus attack. 

10 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

Wait, if I’m reading Snap Shot right, you can perform the snap shot attack as your regular attack during the Engagement phase. Am I reading that right? There’s nothing on the card that says you can’t perform the “Attack:” header during Engagement. It’s not a very good attack, but for the Nantex, it gives you a little extra coverage when your arc is rotated. 

Indeed. Ensnare, Gravetic Deflection and Snap Shot are all really good on a Nantex.

Annoyingly.

• Ensnare lets you sling tractor tokens from you to the enemy, which inverts the disadvantage of using pinpoint tractor array and is basically the only way to trigger Sun Fac and Chertek's abilities unless you're going to bring a Sith Infiltrator just to put a tractor beam on the board. The potential to double-reposition relative to your target (I roll one way then roll you the other way) can't be overstated either*; anyone playing scum knows how annoying a well-flown quadjumper can be.
  • Gravetic Deflection means you're not going to be tractoring opponents, but it basically removes the downside of tractoring yourself - if you have one or better yet two tractored ships in arc (including yourself) your defence is just as good as if you had your extra green die. For that matter, a 'designated redshirt' can tractor themselves and remain at range 3 whilst everyone else closes to close-in, getting agility 3 and a reroll.
  • Snap Shot, as noted, gives you a 2-dice, range 2 only 'banana of death' where you can either double-tap if your arc is forward, or cover a big part of your forward arc if it isn't. Since you must rotate your arc when you want to reposition, figuring out how to manage the turret arc will be a bit weird - since you want to be able to rotate it to face the enemy after you reposition, it must be in the 'wrong' position beforehand. Which means, weirdly, by default you want to move into attack range with the turret pointed the wrong way.

* Since the Protectorate Fang came out, no subsequent expansion has had a card in it the ship can't normally equip, and the Nantex includes two modification upgrades. I think that's fairly good evidence the standard chassis has a modification slot, in which case Sun Fac and Cherek can take Afterburners on top - since tractor repositions are not an action, you can speed 3 move, afterburners, pinpoint tractor array, ensnare for triple repositioning. Which is especially valuable since afterburners are a 'proper' boost and allow you to turn slightly and line up your ensnaring arc, which tractor repositioning doesn't.

23 minutes ago, Magnus Grendel said:

since you want to be able to rotate it to face the enemy after you reposition, it must be in the 'wrong' position beforehand.

The repositioning is a "may" effect. A Nantex that rotates its arc gets tractored but doesn't have to reposition.