Freeptop

Pulling the Strings (Nantex article up)

Posted (edited)

How can people honestly believe that sun Fac will be anywhere near Fenn Rau level pricing?

Fenns ability works on offense and defense, he gets Concordia, has great linked actions and his ability works on any ship not just small bases.

If Sun Fac with Ensare is anywhere near that cost he will be terrible.

Edited by Caduceus01

1 minute ago, Caduceus01 said:

How can people honestly believe that sun Fac will be anywhere near Fenn Rau level pricing?

Fenns ability works on offense and defense, he gets Concordia, has great linked actions and his ability works on any ship not just small bases.

I completely agree, Fenn has a lot tricks and doesn’t have to have bullseye to get 5 die. I think Sun is going to be Wedge price, not Fenn price. I do think there will be a big difference in cost to the other Nanteks though 

2 hours ago, player3010587 said:

Now, time for P A N I C! How do we nuke Sun Fac? Medium/Large bases seem really good. Proxy mines/proton bombs and nimble bomber? Juki bois? 

I mean, in Republic Commando his ship got shot down by sniper rifles and small arms fire. 4-5 ships with 3 attack dice ought to be able to put some hurt on him. My current rough draft of a strategy is to overlap my arcs and try to catch him at range 2-3 where he can't Ensnare my ships. Incidentally, Snap Shot could be nice against him.

Posted (edited)

Can tractored ship A Ensnare non-tractored friendly ship B which then Ensnare ship A? For 2 repositions after Activation Phase?

Edited by Boreas Mun

2 minutes ago, SpiderMana said:

Oh, shoot, LAAT art on Sun Fac, too?

There's just no way that thing isn't next for the Republic...

We've got FO's AT-ST featured on one of the Resistance Transport pilot cards, Republic's AT-TE I  the art for one of the Hyenas... Then there's the huge Mining Guild vessel seen on the Mining Guild TIE generic and, on less serious note, ISD Thane is shooting and a glimpse of Venator Class on another of the spoiled Nantex-class.

I think the artist are way past sticking to the ships featured in the game. Just my three cents. 

Am I the only one that immediately thought that one of these Nantex needs to be painted like a Halo Energy Sword? 

Also, I hope Targeting Computer isn't too expensive. If it follows 1.0 pricing it will be start out at 4 points. Is that a fair price?

1 hour ago, Herowannabe said:

Wait, if I’m reading Snap Shot right, you can perform the snap shot attack as your regular attack during the Engagement phase. Am I reading that right? There’s nothing on the card that says you can’t perform the “Attack:” header during Engagement. It’s not a very good attack, but for the Nantex, it gives you a little extra coverage when your arc is rotated. 

Is there any room in R2 where an enemy would be outside a bullseye arc _and_ outside the left/right arc? 

As I typed this question I realized that the Nantex doesn't have a bowtie arc, and so it's possible that the turret is pointed in the wrong way for a shot you want to take. 

But I'm leaving my question up because it's interesting to think about anyway. :)

4 hours ago, Tervlon said:

If only you could fly these alongside the Quadrajet Tugs, the tractoring would be out of control!

:)

On a more serious note though: the opponent of Nantex has to think a bit what (s)he is doing. Because if there is a Nantex with gravitic deflection, tractoring someone by the own's Nantex in mirror matches, or tugboats, Ketsu and Proach in Scum hands or Thanison in FO hands can give the Nantex with deflection extra defense rerolls!

4 hours ago, player3010587 said:

I still think combos independent of an attack hitting are the best use of Snapshot. That I5 drone, Commander Cody, Turr Phenir, Axe, Tucker, and Airen Cracken all come to mind.

Seevor!

Not to forget Graz, getting 3die snapshot if positioned right.

38 minutes ago, Caduceus01 said:

I'd probably peg Sun Fac somewhere around 42-45 points before upgrades. That puts it around the same range as Midnight and Quickdraw. Considering it has no linked actions, has to take a tractor token in order to "boost" or "barrel roll" (risky if you can't get rid of it), and its "boost" doesn't allow it to bank, I think that's a fair price point.

It does get a limited 2-die turret, and using tractors to reposition means it can land on gas clouds without Collision Detectors.

I also realized that they may get two talent slots, a la A-Wings. If Sun Fac can take Gravitic Deflection and Ensnare together, then holy cow that's going to be strong.

27 minutes ago, Punning Pundit said:

Is there any room in R2 where an enemy would be outside a bullseye arc _and_ outside the left/right arc? 

As I typed this question I realized that the Nantex doesn't have a bowtie arc, and so it's possible that the turret is pointed in the wrong way for a shot you want to take. 

But I'm leaving my question up because it's interesting to think about anyway. :)

Oh yeah plenty of room, as you can see here:

swx70_bullseye_reference_diagram.jpg

29 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

:)

On a more serious note though: the opponent of Nantex has to think a bit what (s)he is doing. Because if there is a Nantex with gravitic deflection, tractoring someone by the own's Nantex in mirror matches, or tugboats, Ketsu and Proach in Scum hands or Thanison in FO hands can give the Nantex with deflection extra defense rerolls!

Seevor!

Not to forget Graz, getting 3die snapshot if positioned right.

Seevor does sound good, depending on cost and what tokens are already present. For sure he will annoy, but he is 1 charge a turn nevertheless.

41 minutes ago, Boreas Mun said:

Can tractored ship A Ensnare non-tractored friendly ship B which then Ensnare ship A? For 2 repositions after Activation Phase?

You can only be affected by a tractor token once, regardless of source. 

2 minutes ago, Herowannabe said:

Oh yeah plenty of room, as you can see here:

swx70_bullseye_reference_diagram.jpg

Basically, remember how often Tactician triggered in 1.0? Snap Shot will trigger exactly as often.

3 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

When the token is moved to another ship the first ship is no longer tractored.

You’re right, I was saying if you have a tractor token you can’t be moved again. You need to remove one before being affected by another. 

51 minutes ago, PhantomFO said:

I'd probably peg Sun Fac somewhere around 42-45 points before upgrades. That puts it around the same range as Midnight and Quickdraw. Considering it has no linked actions, has to take a tractor token in order to "boost" or "barrel roll" (risky if you can't get rid of it), and its "boost" doesn't allow it to bank, I think that's a fair price point.

It does get a limited 2-die turret, and using tractors to reposition means it can land on gas clouds without Collision Detectors.

I also realized that they may get two talent slots, a la A-Wings. If Sun Fac can take Gravitic Deflection and Ensnare together, then holy cow that's going to be strong.

I think this is a fair assessment. I have been thinking they will probably have two talents as well. It makes sense because the pack comes with so many of them.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Archangelspiv said:

You’re right, I was saying if you have a tractor token you can’t be moved again. You need to remove one before being affected by another. 

Which is what Ensnare does.

swz_w5_card-ensnare.png

Though I'm not sure what @Boreas Mun describes will work. Aside from trying to keep both ships in range 0-1 of each other possibly being problematic, It may run afoul how the Ability Queue is structured.

Edited by Hiemfire

41 minutes ago, Hiemfire said:

Though I'm not sure what @Boreas Mun describes will work. Aside from trying to keep both ships in range 0-1 of each other possibly being problematic, It may run afoul how the Ability Queue is structured.

While I doubt it carries on beyond the first transfer, the ensuing game of pong would certainly be interesting 😅

1 hour ago, PhantomFO said:

Not to mention you have to do it if you want to rotate.  Being able to reposition is good, but that doesn't mean it's always desirable. 

1 hour ago, JJ48 said:

Not to mention you have to do it if you want to rotate.  Being able to reposition is good, but that doesn't mean it's always desirable. 

You have to tractor yourself, but I believe when you tractor a ship you may choose to not reposition it.