Freeptop

Pulling the Strings (Nantex article up)

Posted (edited)

I3-4 generics! Not bad at all, especially since they said it was "cheap."

The I5 is appealing but I'm more interested in what the I2 pilot can do for your friendly ships...

Also it seems Snap Shot and Targeting Computer work just exactly how you would expect. Wonder how much snap will be...

Edited by ClassicalMoser

Posted (edited)

This looks like a great expansion for CIS. Very excited to play it and glad that, points dependent, ensnare isn’t an auto-include like I thought it might be because of the other talents. Snapshot will be an interesting addition across all factions. Snap will also give this ship a safety net when you turn that turret arc to the side to get some sort of engagement forward if you don’t get the bullseye or side arc. 

Edited by dsul413

I expect ensnare will be quite expensive, probably increasing in price with higher initiative. My initial guess is around 8 points each at the low end and 16 points at the high end. That's very expensive, but I think it's reasonable -- Ensnare completely changes how the ship flies.

Tractor shenanigans are my favorite.  Looking forward to this.

3 minutes ago, Covered in Weasels said:

I expect ensnare will be quite expensive, probably increasing in price with higher initiative. My initial guess is around 8 points each at the low end and 16 points at the high end. That's very expensive, but I think it's reasonable -- Ensnare completely changes how the ship flies.

I don't know that it needs to be quite that expensive, especially at the low end, since it is at the end of the activation phase instead of right when the tractor token is gained.  Higher PS ships can get out of range/arc.  Depends on how cheap the generics are, and assuming they have Talent slots.

4 minutes ago, XPav said:

Aren't most of the Geonosians drones? 

You're right. The word "drone" specifically refers to male bees, but the geonosians are more similar to termites which have male and female workers. I guess it's possible in Star Wars that the Geonosian soldiers are all gender neutral. I know there are other gender neutral pronouns out there, but currently they aren't any less awkward to use than "they" because there are just so many variations.

Sun Fac and Gorgol are my favorite ! I can't wait to have them.

Sun Fac is a glass canon, he can be really nasty with his ability. Gorgol is more useful for support especially for a belbullab who use all of impervium charge.

20 minutes ago, XPav said:

Aren't most of the Geonosians drones? 

Apparently, drones as in robots, and not in the sense of the male bugs the robots are so named after.

When "they" was used for the SF, I assumed it was bc the callssign referred to the pilot and the gunner. I assume that here it could mean that the drones are non-binary or hermaphrodites, idk

Posted (edited)

Fun fact about Geonosians: they were inspired by a termite colony which George Lucas saw during his drafting of Attack of the Clones. The Nantex-class starfighter's design resembles the head of the nasute termite, a special class of termite with the ability to spray an adhesive substance out of the tip to trap attacking insects in order to defend the colony. This likely influenced the idea of tractor beams on this ship.

Rhynchotermes-perarmatus-soldier-2.jpg

And if that was not an intentional parallel in design, it was a happy accident!

Edited by Parakitor

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Something Wicked said:

I wonder if Krassis Trelix will be able to Snap Shot out the back.

She can. It’s a special \/ attack.

Curious what Snap Shot will cost. R2 is pretty big and activation-phase attack’s can be abusive...

Maybe around 6? Seems both expensive and cheap at the same time...

Edited by ClassicalMoser

5 minutes ago, ClassicalMoser said:

She can. It’s a special \/ attack.

Curious what Snap Shot will cost. R2 is pretty big and activation-phase attack’s can be abusive...

Maybe around 6?

I still think combos independent of an attack hitting are the best use of Snapshot. That I5 drone, Commander Cody, Turr Phenir, Axe, Tucker, and Airen Cracken all come to mind.

I, for one, welcome our new insectoid overlords.

But on a more serious note, holy heck, I'm excited for these guys. High I CIS aces, tractor shenanigans, snap shot...what more could one ask for?

Posted (edited)

Anyhow, Gravitic Deflection is pretty decent.  Rolling N+1 dice is better than rolling N dice with 1 reroll, but not *that* much better.  A 3-green, 4 Hull ship expects to die in 3.699 3-dice focused attacks.  A 2-green ship with a reroll and 4 hull expects to die in 3.625 attacks.  Without the reroll: 2.991 attacks.

For a single attack:

• 3 focused red vs unfocused 3 green: 1.217 damage
  • 3 focused red vs unfocused 2 green+ GravDef: 1.239 damage
  • 3 focused red vs focused 3 green: 0.638 damage
  • 3 focused red vs focused 2 green+ GravDef: 0.741 damage
Edited by theBitterFig