Sign in to follow this  
Seaza

New player. Are MC80's any good??

Hi all,

I've played x-wing for a while now and I'm just getting into Armada. New campaign looks really good. The guys I will be playing against have played for a long time and are pretty good. I'd like to put together a good list so our games are at least interesting for them. I'll be running Rebels and thought the MC80's looked cool but from what I've read so far not sure if they are any good. What are your thoughts on the MC80's and what are some good ships to get me started.

Thanks heaps for your wisdom and help

Both MC80 variants are quite good. The Liberty can go toe-to-toe with an ISD with the good front arc and heavy forward shields but they need support because they can’t take as much of a beating. You definitely want Gunnery Team on your Liberty. And you really can’t go wrong with the standard MC80 variant and Ackbar. Those side arcs are PUNISHING, especially boosted with Ackbar or Enhanced Armaments. But a little tricky to fly well to get that double side-arc shot. Engine Techs are good option for some extra maneuverability. Also I like the Command Cruiser for its 4 squadron value.

But you should also consider the MC75. Bit more hull, bit less shields, and more balanced weapons layout. Also the only large Rebel ship that can take Assault Concussion Missiles or Assault Proton Torpedoes when you use the Ordnance Cruiser. A good choice to use with Raddus since you have to get in close to do real damage. I have run MC80 + MC75 lists where I spend a round or two tossing dice at long/med range with the MC80, then drop the MC75 in when we get close enough for black dice. 

The MC80 Command Cruiser (Home 1) also puts out a surprising amount of punch even without Ackbar, if you can get the double arc shot in.  Equip it with HIE and QBT and you’ll be happy.

Currently it’s the tankiest ship the Rebellion has, with the most native shields and hull.

Posted (edited)

As a carrier I like:   MC80C, ECM, FCTs, Boosted Comms, Adar Tallon.
Depending on points, optional upgrades include: QBTs, Defiance, Leading Shots.

It is a tough ship able to reach out far with the Boosted Comms keeping fighters active. FCTs can shuffle slow squads along nicely on turns 1 and 2 and are surprisingly useful on occasion late in the game. Yavarris can now benefit from these shuffled squadrons and Adar Tallon can do a similar tripple tap action with your most punchy squadron. Getting Dash Rendar to move speed 4 + speed 1 + speed 4 and bomb a fleeing damaged ship with a rerolling black bomber dice has got me several kills.

For a Combat ship I like:   MC80A, ECM, (Advanced Projectors or RBDs or EWS), QBTs, Leading Shots. In a non Ackbar list add Defiance. Engine Techs are good if you have the points but some lists can do without them using this ship as a central fire base. 

Edited by Mad Cat

I'll just share a bit of my experience with the MC80 Liberty (haven't used the Command Cruiser as much).  The Liberty is a strong ship, but some good advice I have read is to think of it as a battlecruiser.  It excels on dominating medium and small ships.  It is not built to go toe to toe with an Imperial Star Destroyer, unless you build your list carefully as said above.  It is also pretty vulnerable to bombers with only one redirect and poor side/back shields.

To give an example, let's say you are going head to head with a Victory 2.  With 3 red, 3 blue, you would expect the Vic 2 to produce an average of about 1 natural accuracy (1/4% chance on blue, 1/8 on red).  That's perfect, the Liberty can use the other brace to brace a shot of 5-7 damage down to half.  Now, compare it to head on with an ISD 2.  With 4 red, 4 blue, there is a higher chance of getting 2 natural accuracies to lock down both braces.  If they have a different way of generating accuracies (possible), or rerolling to hope to get accuracies (likely), they have a really strong chance to get 2 if they want.  When this happens it is really sad times for the Liberty.

Potential solutions include:  having a bid for first player; including defensive upgrades such as Lando, or Admiral Rieekan; including Bail Organa to go first when you need to; using deployment and positioning to ensure you can flank with the Liberty; using Raddus to drop it in, in a convenient way.

It is easy starting to play around with the Liberty, to load it up with a million upgrades to make it hyper dangerous ship, then lose it faster than you expected.  I would consider either starting it fairly cheap to start with so you can build out the rest of your list, or really thinking about how you can deploy it to flank a more dangerous ship  (either Raddus, or placing it on the side and having a strong threat in the center they can't ignore, think Admonition MC30 or Yavaris with bombers).  There are some good articles on the web and good posts here by some people who have gotten very good with them.

Also Rebellion in the Rim has two upgrades that will pair nicely with the MC80L...Aux Shield Teams and Expert Weapons Teams I think theyre called. 

Krsyta Agate ( in Starhawk expansion this Winter*) will also be an excellent Commander for lists built around the MC80L. 

* this winter in FFG terms can mean anywhere from this winter to 380 days after this winter.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, eliteone said:

* this winter in FFG terms can mean anywhere from this winter to 380 days after this winter.

Armada project lead: Alright team. The brass upstairs has decide to announce the new wave will be out in Q4. Its just two large Rebel ships not an SSD. Now, how long will it take?

Armada design team

9AEF5FF1-0697-43C2-AB24-B37F63445D3A.png

Edited by SQUIDwarrior

Thanks everyone for help and guidance. Some really good points were given and demonstrates that the MC80 isn't in the dire position i was lead to believe which is great cause i really like their design esthetic. 

11 hours ago, Seaza said:

Thanks everyone for help and guidance. Some really good points were given and demonstrates that the MC80 isn't in the dire position i was lead to believe which is great cause i really like their design esthetic. 

I'm glad you found some good information. The MC80s are some of my favorite ships. And whoever said they are in a dire position has not experienced the frustration of trying to kill an MC80 with ECM while avoiding getting raked by those side arcs, or has not be drilled to death by a Liberty running Mon Karren and X17s. 

9 hours ago, SQUIDwarrior said:

I'm glad you found some good information. The MC80s are some of my favorite ships. And whoever said they are in a dire position has not experienced the frustration of trying to kill an MC80 with ECM while avoiding getting raked by those side arcs, or has not be drilled to death by a Liberty running Mon Karren and X17s. 

Or getting bombed to base atoms 😂🤣