Sign in to follow this  
KingmanHighborn

Something Outside My Comfort Zone

Flying Fangs and Starvipers make me nervous. I want to joust, or at least throw a ton of dice at the first engagement as soon as possible and not dance around the board. I won't deny they are great platforms, but they are so pricey and could melt with one bad roll. So...I'm thinking of flying this Thursday and seeing how it goes. 

Guri — StarViper-class Attack Platform 64
Elusive 3
Passive Sensors 3
Adv. Proton Torpedoes 6
Afterburners 6
Ship Total: 82
Half Points: 41 Threshold: 3

Old Teroch — Fang Fighter 56
Fearless 3
Ship Total: 59
Half Points: 30 Threshold: 2

Kad Solus — Fang Fighter 54
Elusive 3
Ship Total: 57
Half Points: 29 Threshold: 2

Posted (edited)

I like Elusive Kad and Fearless T a lot, but these 3 ships together are enormously squishy, so I feel like they need specific tools. We run them like so-

(68) Fenn Rau [Fang Fighter]
(5) Swarm Tactics

(64) Guri [StarViper-class Attack Platform]
(10) Advanced Sensors

(44) Zealous Recruit [Fang Fighter]

Total points: 191

The tools-

A decent bid. This is massive for Guri. Lots of I5 pilots running around with average bids. Beat that bid and Guri is laughing, don't and she's in hot water.

Advanced Sensors. Using Guri without them should not be allowed. Moving last with this is different level nonsense for her.

Fenn. I6 gives Guri trouble. Fenn takes care of that, particularly with the nice bid.

Zealous Recruit. 1 of your ships is going to take the biggest gambles and land in trouble. That's this guy. 44pt lost if he goes makes a small dent. Plus, he's an excellent blocker, which can be key.

Swarm Tactics. Shooting at I1 can mean the Recruit misses shooting at all if he faces up an enemy ship. Swarm for I6 fire flips that around and makes people think twice about taking him on. Those troublesome I6s I mentioned earlier now have some serious worries with Fenn and his buddy threatening them.

We've done fairly well with this set up. It really is very squishy if you're caught at range. Swarms and beef can be very hard work, since they'll just gobble you up if you get the approach even slightly wrong. But it is a lot of fun and can be extremely potent.

Select your joust with the Fangs and use Guri as bait or a super flanker.  I sometimes like to offer her up to help the Fangs get the charge they want, then swish her away. If she gets a decent end game set up for her by the Fangs, she's unstoppable.

Edited by Cuz05

8 hours ago, KingmanHighborn said:

Other than some manoeuvre shenanigans and getting an action even if blocked is there some reason Ad. Sensors is stapled to Guri over FCS or Passive sensors? 

I found that I don't use the lock action on vipers. Simply because the boost/barrel roll into focus is so much value. So I couldn't use fire control system since I didn't have the lock. Haven't tried passive sensors. 

8 hours ago, KingmanHighborn said:

Other than some manoeuvre shenanigans and getting an action even if blocked is there some reason Ad. Sensors is stapled to Guri over FCS or Passive sensors? 

It works wonders with the roll and dovetails perfectly with her ability. If she's moving last, or nearly last, you can just decide whether to be in arc or not when she moves.

She is still good without it, but being already expensive and limited to a single calc at R2/3, she can be extremely risky.

With AS, at the basic level, you can dial in a 3 bank and have the option to just full nope on an unexpectedly bad situation.