Alderaan Crumbs

How many Advantage “equal” a Triumph?

It all depends.

When you look at the tables on page 104 of the Genesys Core book, you would see Triumph could be used for minor things in combat that only need one Advantage to trigger, less minor things that need 2 Advantages, or even more major things that need 3 Advantages. However, it doesn't seem to work the other way around. When you specifically need a Triumph, there is now way you could spend Advantages for that. Not 4, not 5, not 20. Only Triumph. That last example is true, again, when looking at certain Talents. Look at Counteroffer, page 75. It requires Triumph. No mention of Advantages.

Same page, the Berserk talent adds Success and Advantages. It doesn't add "Triumph equal to X Advantages".

As such, the ratio of Advantages to 1 Triumph is rather dependent on the specific table, talent, species ability, or other rule you invoke. As such, I rarely decide that ratio myself; it is there, in the books, per situation. I would say the same, with different examples and pages, for Threats and despairs.

I use it very case by case. As a rule of thumb mechanical ill let my players spend 4-5 advantages to fully upgrade an adversary next check if that what they want. But ill encourage them to spend them om something creative. If i have a player roll 6-10 advantages on a roll i say go nuts and anything narrative they would suggest for a Triumph ill properly allow for that amount of advantage. But i usually do not let it power specific talents that require triumphs. 

1 hour ago, Alderaan Crumbs said:

Is there a certain number of Advantage you decide is worth the same mechanical weight as a Triumph? If so, how many? What about Threat and Despair? It’s a thought I’ve been mulling over.

There is not. There is literally no amount of advantages that can equal a triumph. And there is no amount of threat that equals a despair. That is intentional.

The adv/threat axis is purposefully divorced from triumph/despair because the latter are for the super awesome and amazing things. Advantage just doesn't do that. Also, that's what makes proficiency dice so much better than ability dice (ditto for challenge/difficulty). You literally cannot get a triumph effect on green ability dice alone, you need that proficiency die to do it.