Jump to content
karadjordje

MG100 Starfotress- help with magnetizing the Resistance bomber

Recommended Posts

Hello Hivemind,

I'm planning to magnetize the bomber, and looking for suggestions for installation position, advice, etc.

I have Greenstuff World's ring magnets, 10mm and 12mm.

I think 10mm would be sufficient, however it is too big to glue instead of the original plastic connector. 

Ideally, it would be hidden (I can drill to have it flush), but can't think of a good location for the magnet - any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that when I use the Greenstuff World magnets, bigger is usually better.  

I can't find any direct pictures of the rear of FFG's starfortress, but would it be possible to attach a magnet horizontally to look like an extension of one of the rear central engines (like a gigantic B wing)?  This might also require rotating the bottom gun turret as well unfortunately.  Also, if you take the time to move the turret, you nay be able to attach it directly under both engines.  

3dWK9nw.jpg?width=400&height=300

Somewhere back here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, karadjordje said:

I'm planning to magnetize the bomber, and looking for suggestions for installation position, advice, etc.

May I ask why you want to magnetize it? Did it break? I ask because it is a very unusually shaped ship (top heavy) so a ring magnet, even a counter-sunk one would likely fail to keep it upright.

Personally, I don't enjoy when ships are on a ball bearing because they flop around everywhere. My personal choice is using two disk magnets: one on the peg and one on the ship. You still get the ship to rotate or come off the base pretty easily when ships are gridlocked and the model is getting in the way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 2:19 PM, Whalers on the moon said:

I have found that when I use the Greenstuff World magnets, bigger is usually better.  

I can't find any direct pictures of the rear of FFG's starfortress, but would it be possible to attach a magnet horizontally to look like an extension of one of the rear central engines (like a gigantic B wing)?  This might also require rotating the bottom gun turret as well unfortunately.  Also, if you take the time to move the turret, you nay be able to attach it directly under both engines.  

3dWK9nw.jpg?width=400&height=300

Somewhere back here?

Great suggestion, thank you. Will have to look into it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 5:45 PM, Force Majeure said:

May I ask why you want to magnetize it? Did it break? I ask because it is a very unusually shaped ship (top heavy) so a ring magnet, even a counter-sunk one would likely fail to keep it upright.

Personally, I don't enjoy when ships are on a ball bearing because they flop around everywhere. My personal choice is using two disk magnets: one on the peg and one on the ship. You still get the ship to rotate or come off the base pretty easily when ships are gridlocked and the model is getting in the way.

No, the socket didn't break, but it feels like it is close to breaking. I never used the large ship bases and pegs, always found them too flimsy. My choice were the epic ship pegs, every time, and never failed me. They wouldn't come apart, and gave my ship the "high ground", when it came close to bumping. 

I'm primarily thinking of magnetizing them for the fleet commonality, and the fact that epic bases are just a tad smaller than the large ship chits in 2.0, so thinking of going to large ship base/peg.

Also, for the:

On 8/13/2019 at 11:33 PM, Minaith said:

fiiiuuuummm and fwooooshhh noises

😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt about any reaso of magentizing this ship - just do it! fiiiuuuummm  fwooooshhh

Frankly said, I also wonder, where and how to do it, but I also prefer the ring/ball magnets, just because of the freedom to turn the ship in more positions. (Disk magnetes are a matter of taste.)

Regarding the position of the magnet, I'd remove the the original pin, glue a big magnet there. I might be nessary to glue someadditional metal on the front part for a better balance, maybe just add a kind of bumper bar. (This inceasese the safety for the pilots as well.) If this works, then you're the kind of the road >:o)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there,

here's my try: I eventually decided to put the magnet on the peg, and glued the ball on the ship. This approach left enough space at the bottom of the ship to do all the glueing.

Due to the ships shape, there are only smal angles possible, but you fang fighters are scared is they encounter this 🙂

I also magnetized the gunners capsule at the rear end.

StarFortress_PC291215_xs.jpg.8d36017a92afd1aa4188fbc12f401d12.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Inspired by this thread I gave it a go too. I first tried with a smaller engine sized disk magnet but it wasn't strong enough. The lower turret clears the epic peg nicely (especially after the barrels broke 😆). I'll have to figure some solution for the turret indicator now that it doesn't fit with a epic base/peg.

JdjhNJ8.jpg

1PvrnzX.jpg

yuPmPnc.jpg

Edited by Jokkker
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...