Reklawyad

Returning 1.0 player for 2.0 Empire Few Questions

Backstory, I was a huge player back in 1.0 and would purchase MULTIPLES of the previous 1.0 ships to get enough cards like everyone else. Other games and other things took interest (and two babies later!) now I'm getting back into the game with 2.0. I told all of my original 1.0 ships and cards etc etc, but I knew I was only going to get into Empire Building in the 2.0 line. 

I've currently purchased the core, and 1x copies of all expansions for 2.0 and the Empire Conversion kit, I also liked the plastic FFG instead of the paper templates so I picked that up as well. 

Question 1

What is everyone using now a days to keep the ships and stands from moving? Before I used metal washer and it was just okay, I've read about getting neoprene or mouse pad and cutting them for use, any other suggestions?

Question 2

With the 1.0 ships becoming dirt cheap, is it more economic to get the old 1.0 ship since I got the conversion kit because all you need is the model ship correct?

Question 3

What's the best way to practice solo, just try flying around on a table see how things go, or use one of the programs?

Thanks for the help beforehand!

Welcome back!

1: Anything you used to use will still work, the physical aspect of the game hasn't really changed - plastic ships on the same stands on the same mats with new tokens. I personally just use the stands as purchased on whatever surface is provided. The sturdiest thing I've ever seen was a guy who put a washer in the bottom and filled it out with some sort of dried gel or glue or something - I forgot to ask him what it was.

2: If you buy a single conversion kit and enough 1.0 ships to fly every dial in the kit, you will save a decent amount of money. This has the benefit of being able to be done over a longer period of time, and take advantage of unstocking sales on 1.0 stuff, as well as people getting out of the game offloading their collections. In fact, most local leagues will probably let you just fly the bases around in friendly or practice games without the ships on them, letting you try just about everything the faction has to offer before committing on any actual ship purchases. For tournaments, obviously, you'll have to have the ships.

3: I use Fly Casual to practice formation flying, but nothing really beats putting the ships on the table against a thinking opponent. Before tournaments, especially with new lists, I'll practice a set up or 2 and the first 3-4 rounds of ideal movement on an actual table (as in, at the event while everyone is registering and such.)

First off, congrats on the kids! You seem to be off to a good start with what you have and filling in the blanks of the conversation kit will set you up nicely! 

As for weighing the bases, it's still a good idea and something I desperately need to get around to doing.

For flying practice, set up a smaller-than-standard area to mess around in. For one or two ships, a 1x1 square with 2 or 3 obstacles should be fine and add more debris as you get more comfortable flying.

Last bit of advice: be sure to grab the Aces and Hotshots card pack and Fully Loaded pack that's coming out soon! The first will add 3 new pilots to your roster and I think a few crew membera (so, uh, maybe split it with a non Imperial player in your area) and the Fully Loaded pack will add a bunch of extra upgrade cards you'll already have and a few that come with non-Imperial ships. Oh, and some scenarios to spice things up... there's also the "Don't tell me the odds" pack with every type of obstacle and more scenario cards.

21 hours ago, Kehl_Aecea said:

First off, congrats on the kids! You seem to be off to a good start with what you have and filling in the blanks of the conversation kit will set you up nicely! 

As for weighing the bases, it's still a good idea and something I desperately need to get around to doing.

For flying practice, set up a smaller-than-standard area to mess around in. For one or two ships, a 1x1 square with 2 or 3 obstacles should be fine and add more debris as you get more comfortable flying.

Last bit of advice: be sure to grab the Aces and Hotshots card pack and Fully Loaded pack that's coming out soon! The first will add 3 new pilots to your roster and I think a few crew membera (so, uh, maybe split it with a non Imperial player in your area) and the Fully Loaded pack will add a bunch of extra upgrade cards you'll already have and a few that come with non-Imperial ships. Oh, and some scenarios to spice things up... there's also the "Don't tell me the odds" pack with every type of obstacle and more scenario cards.

On 8/11/2019 at 9:00 PM, Eruletho said:

Welcome back!

1: Anything you used to use will still work, the physical aspect of the game hasn't really changed - plastic ships on the same stands on the same mats with new tokens. I personally just use the stands as purchased on whatever surface is provided. The sturdiest thing I've ever seen was a guy who put a washer in the bottom and filled it out with some sort of dried gel or glue or something - I forgot to ask him what it was.

2: If you buy a single conversion kit and enough 1.0 ships to fly every dial in the kit, you will save a decent amount of money. This has the benefit of being able to be done over a longer period of time, and take advantage of unstocking sales on 1.0 stuff, as well as people getting out of the game offloading their collections. In fact, most local leagues will probably let you just fly the bases around in friendly or practice games without the ships on them, letting you try just about everything the faction has to offer before committing on any actual ship purchases. For tournaments, obviously, you'll have to have the ships.

3: I use Fly Casual to practice formation flying, but nothing really beats putting the ships on the table against a thinking opponent. Before tournaments, especially with new lists, I'll practice a set up or 2 and the first 3-4 rounds of ideal movement on an actual table (as in, at the event while everyone is registering and such.)

Thanks you two!! I was planning on picking up those updated packs for sure. I’m still thinking on what expansions to also get. I like the Decimator, but can see how swarms are the hot right now with having more focused fire going out and the bigger base is a pain to navigate around the obstacles. 

Hoping to to get in a few games before a tournament for 5 dollars, it get redistributed among the top players, so I would just be giving it away at this point!

Well, you have the conversion kit, so you can always proxy a Decimator before you buy the model. I haven't seen them too much locally, but they make for a BEEFY command ship. It's a meld between the Rebel's Ghost and Falcon. It's a pretty versatile and durable platform. One of the players at my store flew RAC with only Tactical Officer and 5 Academy TIEs and did pretty well.

Posted (edited)
On 8/11/2019 at 8:19 PM, Reklawyad said:

Backstory, I was a huge player back in 1.0 and would purchase MULTIPLES of the previous 1.0 ships to get enough cards like everyone else. Other games and other things took interest (and two babies later!) now I'm getting back into the game with 2.0. I told all of my original 1.0 ships and cards etc etc, but I knew I was only going to get into Empire Building in the 2.0 line. 

I've currently purchased the core, and 1x copies of all expansions for 2.0 and the Empire Conversion kit, I also liked the plastic FFG instead of the paper templates so I picked that up as well. 

Question 1

What is everyone using now a days to keep the ships and stands from moving? Before I used metal washer and it was just okay, I've read about getting neoprene or mouse pad and cutting them for use, any other suggestions?

I used washers at first, but quickly learned to hate them.  I didn't have any mousepad left nearby.  I found someone who used kitchen cabinet door bumpers and copied them.  You know those little things that keep the kitchen cabinet doors from making too much noise when they slam shut? Those.  Dirt cheap.  Make sure to check the size.  It's been ages and I don't remember. 

Question 2

With the 1.0 ships becoming dirt cheap, is it more economic to get the old 1.0 ship since I got the conversion kit because all you need is the model ship correct?

Most of the time, yes.  Tie Fighters can use the same dial, but are the only ship to do so.  Also, if you don't want to buy singles online from people, you can always make non-tournament legal dials out of the old ones.   There are places that let you print off the new dial and glue onto the old base.  I do that for all the T-65's that I have that I'll never take to tournament, but will use for big, fun games, like the Trench Run.  Also, find other locals who have extra dials they don't need after their conversion kits.   I have a ton, myself.

Question 3

What's the best way to practice solo, just try flying around on a table see how things go, or use one of the programs?

There are a few things you can do.    There are a number of AI apps and all that.

Have you heard of Heroes of the Aturi Cluster?  It's a co-op game that lets you fly in a campaign against an actually good AI.  If you haven't tried it, it's some of the best X-wing I've ever done.  You even get to advance up your pilots almost like an RPG.  It's good for those that don't want to do tournament X-wing.   Well, I know you are Imperial and there are Imperial focused campaigns, too (the original is pro-terrorist).  The one I am trying is Flight Group Alpha and it's based off the old Tie Fighter computer game.  They redid all the old missions into X-wing missions.   Oh, and these are all FREE.

Edited by heychadwick

1 hour ago, Joyrock101 said:

Other than pilot tweaks, did anything about Tie Fighters change?

Nope.  They stayed the same.  Pilots changed (some new some old gone) and prices might have bounced around. Init has been squished down, but they are still awesome. 

On 8/12/2019 at 2:00 AM, Eruletho said:

The sturdiest thing I've ever seen was a guy who put a washer in the bottom and filled it out with some sort of dried gel or glue or something - I forgot to ask him what it was.

Almost certainly silicone sealant - the sort of stuff you can line windows and showers with.  It's the stuff I used when I put washers in my bases.   A bugger to do at the time, but totally worth it.

2 hours ago, Joyrock101 said:

Other than pilot tweaks, did anything about Tie Fighters change?

The dial and actions didn't, but the game around them did slightly.  The evade action works a bit differently and is slightly less good than it used to be.

Posted (edited)
On 8/12/2019 at 12:34 AM, Kehl_Aecea said:

I guess soon is relative. It will likely be 5-6 months or so, but should be well worth the wait.

I don't think there will be any new Imperial crew. Only new crew I'm aware of is K-2SO. Still there will be some great new upgrades in it that you'll surely want.

Edited by ClassicalMoser

On 8/12/2019 at 1:19 AM, Reklawyad said:

I'm getting back into the game with 2.0.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:19 AM, Reklawyad said:

only going to get into Empire

image.png

You’re gonna love the improved TIE Advanced x1 and Lambda.  There’s so much Imperial 2.0 awesomeness.  I’m quite excited for you 😆

4 hours ago, Sasajak said:

image.png

You’re gonna love the improved TIE Advanced x1 and Lambda.  There’s so much Imperial 2.0 awesomeness.  I’m quite excited for you 😆

Oh yes I do love the Tie Advanced.. I'm trying to find what I like with the Decimator. I have purchased only the core, and 1 of each available upgrade ship so far. I have played around with one of the programs to test out decimator and two other ships flying, and the AI is giving me a run for my money so far which is good I'm learning. Seems Swarms are quite the bees knees and you can see why, if you throw 10 attack dice at a ship, eventually something is going to go through. 

I might look at getting more Advanced x1 I like it!

@Reklawyad don’t tell anyone but tonight is my first Deci 2.0 outing 😂 I’ll let you know how I get on.  On the swarm side I can confirm they are most viable; I particularly enjoy mini-swarms lead by Howlrunner/Iden or a pure Inferno squadron.  I have 3 TIE Advanced x1.  Of course Vader is still the best.  The biggest weakness for the lower initiative pilots is getting that target lock so I often take Jendon and I’m looking forward to using Passive Sensors once I have the card (pity me I detest proxying).

On 8/12/2019 at 2:19 AM, Reklawyad said:

Question 1

Sponged rubber/foamed rubber from artist shop is what I use. Just clip to size with normal scissors, doesn't even need glue if you clip exactly right size (cheap and simple).

If you don't want to have the hassle of measuring and clipping, you can use Escapadegaminggear.com (from Sweden) "grip insert" ones, they are amazing (ready to use, just peel off the paper from the glue side and stick in)

On 8/14/2019 at 12:54 AM, Sasajak said:

@Reklawyad don’t tell anyone but tonight is my first Deci 2.0 outing 😂 I’ll let you know how I get on.  On the swarm side I can confirm they are most viable; I particularly enjoy mini-swarms lead by Howlrunner/Iden or a pure Inferno squadron.  I have 3 TIE Advanced x1.  Of course Vader is still the best.  The biggest weakness for the lower initiative pilots is getting that target lock so I often take Jendon and I’m looking forward to using Passive Sensors once I have the card (pity me I detest proxying).

How did it go?? I’m thinking of going to an extended tomorrow not sure... 

suggestions?!?!?? I worry the VT and just one other ship might suffer from swarms!

1 hour ago, Reklawyad said:

How did it go?? I’m thinking of going to an extended tomorrow not sure... 

suggestions?!?!?? I worry the VT and just one other ship might suffer from swarms!

It felt wrong as I net listed the RAC/Vader and Whisper build and crushed the Rebellion twice BUT the theme was everyone had to take a large base ship so, although always outnumbered, I wasn’t up against swarms.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Sasajak said:

It felt wrong as I net listed the RAC/Vader and Whisper build and crushed the Rebellion twice BUT the theme was everyone had to take a large base ship so, although always outnumbered, I wasn’t up against swarms.

Oohhhh mind sharing the list???

Lol never mind there’s no room for upgrades on that lol

Edited by Reklawyad
Add comment