baltar

Keyforge Lore

Hi, everybody =]

I'm a huge fan of the setting and the thing that got me in to keyforge was the considerable amount of lore published in Call of the Archons. I was expecting much more to come, like in Legend of the Five Rings. Short stories, books, i don't know, anything. The thing is, I haven't found a single piece of lore about Age of Ascension, not even a little paragraph. Why is it even called Age of Ascension? I guess something related to the Sanctum religion, I don't know. I just don't understand why FFG would ignore the possibility of adding some content to this huge sales hit. Have I missed anything? Thanks for reading!

Posted (edited)

L5R was already heavily established with lore before FFG got a hold of the rights. Same kind of goes with Star Wars and Game of Thrones. There used to be a couple lore pieces on the product page with the first set, but there has not been much since then.

From what I can tell, the Crucible is infinitely large with infinite vaults to open, which leaves open the possibilities for infinite houses and just as many stories. Even though there are now three sets, it still feels like this is just beta testing. They keep talking about things that are coming out, but when pressed for more details they try to deflect you to other things while they come up with an answer.

Edited by KandyKidZero

Makes sense, thanks. I would just hope for a little bit of context. Like, why Sanctum went all high tech in AoA? Flavor texts (I guesss it's the only source for AoA) didn't help at all. I guess they will be "forced" to give something in the Genesys RPG.

Curious why you say Sanctum went high tech? When I look at Sanctum in AoA I think their knights got expanded (A lot of powerful choices) and their main mechanics got expanded and built upon. Now in addition to strong knights with armor and taunt that capture aember, Sanctum has ways to manipulate that captured aember as well as a few more ways to heal and stay present in the battle.

Thematically, I looked at "Call of the Ancients" as the wake up call. The houses rising up and their basics being introduced, or something like that. I looked at AoA as each faction getting more fully fleshed out if that makes sense. Each faction "ascending" to a fuller manifestation of their potential.

That's my thoughts at least.

11 hours ago, Dinode said:

Actually, there is a little bit of lore: at the bottom of the store page you see a section titled "Fiction", which has a few short stories based on each house. Here's the first one, which introduces the narrator, Inka the Spider:
https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/61/7b/617b8e37-169e-4c61-80a8-9cf94f261a18/frame_story_lorez.pdf

That was for CotA. No lore was realeased for AoA

21 hours ago, TheSpitfired said:

Curious why you say Sanctum went high tech? When I look at Sanctum in AoA I think their knights got expanded (A lot of powerful choices) and their main mechanics got expanded and built upon. Now in addition to strong knights with armor and taunt that capture aember, Sanctum has ways to manipulate that captured aember as well as a few more ways to heal and stay present in the battle.

Thematically, I looked at "Call of the Ancients" as the wake up call. The houses rising up and their basics being introduced, or something like that. I looked at AoA as each faction getting more fully fleshed out if that makes sense. Each faction "ascending" to a fuller manifestation of their potential.

That's my thoughts at least.

Based on the illustrations, the armors changed a lot compared to CotA. I just think it's lazy to launch a set without a word about it's lore, but still love the game.