wsmith32

Improving x wing

Yeah, a delineation should be made between 3 lists dominating the meta, and 3 archetypes dominating the meta. We just got out of a 2 list meta: Quad Phantoms and Rebel Beef. Currently, we don't have anything dominating; we are too early into the points change to make that call, but judging by Gencon we have

There were five 4 ship lists across 3 factions. Three swarm lists across 3 factions. Two large base + ace lists across two factions. 2 high initiative aces lists from the Republic. And then whatever category Kylo + 2 Ups and Ketsu/OldT/Kavil fall into. That's more than 4 archetypes across multiple factions.

With all that positivity aside, I do think we will see lots of Republic aces in the future. The Jedi are far too cheap for what they do, and regen makes them super good at points fortressing.

OK let me try this again.  I did not mean to imply the meta was broken. It is probably in the best place since I been playing for about 2 years now. As far as needing to learn to fly better to improve my game I could not agree more, but I am afraid after 2 years of bad moves, bad decisions, bad lists I have a feeling I never be more than an average to below average player which is ok as I still enjoy playing.  What I was trying to say,which is another thing I did poorly was I was wondering if anyone had any ideals on how to make 2 to 4 initiative pilots a little more competitive and as such more playable. I just think that there is a lot of good pilots with neat abilities in that range that would be fun to fly.  A point reduction maybe the best and possibly the only way to do it, but that has not happened as I think it would be a huge undertaking and my not be worth the effort. IF I implied anything other than this please except my apology.

16 hours ago, ForceSensitive said:

I want atmo combat.

I really should just type up my version and post it one of these days. While it could still be considered original.

I'm not sure what difference that would make?  Except maybe opening up custom atmo-only craft.

2 hours ago, wsmith32 said:

OK let me try this again.  I did not mean to imply the meta was broken. It is probably in the best place since I been playing for about 2 years now. As far as needing to learn to fly better to improve my game I could not agree more, but I am afraid after 2 years of bad moves, bad decisions, bad lists I have a feeling I never be more than an average to below average player which is ok as I still enjoy playing.  What I was trying to say,which is another thing I did poorly was I was wondering if anyone had any ideals on how to make 2 to 4 initiative pilots a little more competitive and as such more playable. I just think that there is a lot of good pilots with neat abilities in that range that would be fun to fly.  A point reduction maybe the best and possibly the only way to do it, but that has not happened as I think it would be a huge undertaking and my not be worth the effort. IF I implied anything other than this please except my apology.

There seems to be 2 ways to make ps 2-4 more attractive, and that is either stupid good ability, and/or cheap cost. 
As an example, pure sabacc and countdown both have VERY good ability, and thus cost more than the equivalent ps5. Yet a lot of people still consider them when list building ( Tie-Striker chassis notwithstanding).
Or big game changers like Captain Sear which affect the whole list.

I think it also has to do with a lot of ingrained x-wing habit. For the entirety of V1, you either took the absolutely highest PS, or the biggest number of low PS. Some people still list build the same way in V2. Yet there's some really powerful PS4 pilot all over the place with amazing ability. 

I think FFG realised that, and that's why we're seeing more I2-4 pilot with powerfull ability, and I5-6 with useless abilities (vonreg, kylo, blackout, rexler). Given time, I think we'll see more and more people play elite squads of I4 with lots of trick and support, kinda like rebel beef was.

2 hours ago, wsmith32 said:

The two most dominant list's of the last meta had 7 out of 8 ships below I5. Quad Phantoms were 4, and Rebel Beef was a collection of 3 and 4 with Wedge being the only exception. 

The only build archetype currently relying on high I is the classic Ace build. 

**** I even switched from Resistance 5 in the last meta to Resistance Beef with 4/3/3/2 and that list is starting to place high in tournaments, so I don't think mid I ships are in a bad spot. 

6 hours ago, clockworkspider said:

I'm not sure what difference that would make?  Except maybe opening up custom atmo-only craft.

Objective play and ground forces really. Not ‘just’atmo. My version converts some ships into their appropriate troop carriers versions that drop off troop tokens that can then move and attack different objective tokens like defense points and generators. They can also be attacked of course. Also full line of sight blocking obstacles in the form of “spires” that have to be flown over when hit, as part of an expansion set of rules for altitude. Sounds like a lot, but it’s really not. It’s like three new obstacles, a few tokens, and three paragraphs I think of rules for the altitude part. I was trying to keep it pretty simplistic but allows for a lot of stuff.