Sign in to follow this  
Maui.

Dedicated Should Be 0 Points

2 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

ūü§® What game are you playing?

Jamming Beam

And the action is range 1 (unless boosted by DRK-1 Probes)

Thanks! I must have been thinking Tractor and Ion. 

9 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

Thanks! I must have been thinking Tractor and Ion. 

That makes sense and is easy enough to do :). I was wondering if you were transposing something from another game system into X-Wing when I commented.

Keep in mind I've had less table than I'd like since the July point drop so take do with this with a grain of salt.

Dedicated is pretty good at 1 point.  The I3 tax is an entirely different story but there's already been a few threads on that.*  I'm finally comfortable putting a pair of BSP Torrents with Dedicated on the table and have been pleasantly surprised  how often it triggered.  As long as, you know, I remember to use it.  Oh, there is a reason to put Dedicated on an ARC and that's so it can take advantage of Torrents with Dedicated. 

*My utterly shot it the dark guess is that FFG is waiting to see how Snap Shot Torrents shake out before future dropping the price.  Or maybe I'm looking forward to flying that combination a bit too much. 

The i3 tax really sets me off, it makes no sense at all. The only things i can think of that would affect such a tax aren't an issue. V19s were priced out of a 6 stack of jukers, then they bumped Juke up itself. We don't have Snapshot yet either, so I can't see a reason for why we're still paying a tax on these i3 ships..

Anyway, back to the topic.. Dedicated is ok at 1pt, but now we have Handmaidens, why would I ever choose a torrent with dedicated over a Handmaiden? Its a better chassis with a stronger ability that is easier to trigger. They have to do something with Dedicated to make it an option. Same goes for Ruthless.

Posted (edited)

As to Dedicated strategy, a Dedicated Squad Seven Veteran is like a defensive Sinker, but more limited.

Handmaidens seem better than Torrents (but they are considerably more expensive), but ARCs can potentially take support crew/gunners, and contribute as well.  Right now, that's limited to Palpatine (eh) and Seventh Fleet Gunner (tempting, but expensive).  CLT Anakin with 2x SFG and Dedicated is an interesting concept to me.  To be sure, it won't be the best Republic list (B-tier at highest?).  However, I think the core concept--that a ship with Dedicated might have other support upgrades beyond Dedicated--is an interesting one.  Can't help the Torrent (SynCon Torrent feels like a mistake to me), but there's hope for the ARC, particularly as new cards come out.

And the side arcs are a little bigger from a Medium-base, as well.

//

Anyhow, I'm generally OK with 1-point upgrades being overpriced.  I just have a philosophical dislike of 0-point cards.  Maybe Dedicated could be an exception (since it's restricted to non-limited ships), but it rubs me the wrong way.

//

Related to this: most of the other Faction-Talents are good.  A few aren't.

• Fanatical is probably the best combination of price, effect, and ease of use in dice modification talents.
  • Heroic is the kind of small thing that adds up over time.¬† Not very impactful to any individual roll, but it's cheap and it always (never) works.
  • Fearless is totally playable on the right kinds of ships.
  • Selfless is strong, but forces a game-plan a lot of folks find boring.
    • The above are all good.¬† The three below... eh?
  • Ruthless has a few supporters out there, and I can see how it could come in handy in the right kinds of lists.
  • Dedicated?¬† Really restricted in ships, so it just isn't seeing play.¬† Maybe it's better than perceptions if folks actually use it, but folks aren't making that decision.
  • Treacherous is just trash.¬† Mathematically, it'd be really strong.¬† Cancelling a hit or crit for 2 points--and it can be recharged--is amazing.¬† But that's all irrelevant, since geometrically speaking, the dang thing never actually triggers.
Edited by theBitterFig

17 minutes ago, Bucknife said:

What if all talents were zero points...

2e1.gif

Do you really mean all talents? Wouldn' t that be 1st ed all over again? I. e. all the aces with EPTs are flown all the time *), while talent-slot-less aces and esp slot-less generics never see the table.

*) As they now have their initiative, their ability and in addition get a talent for free!

(in 1st ed the talents were so op (e.g. expertise) that everyone without talents was pretty worthless; the 2nd ed talents are not that strong, but pretty good if costing 0, esp stuff like Trick Shot!)