Sign in to follow this  
Chryckan

Who has white hair in the Crane clan?

In Courts of Stone on page 63 it says that many in the Daidoji family dye their hair white in honour of their founder. 

While I might have gotten it wrong or are just misremembering things but wasn't it the Kakita family that used to have white hair in previous editions?

So who in the Crane  has white hair?

Who can have white hair?

From what person does the practice stem from? Has it always been the founder of the Daidoji?

I don't have my books in front of me. As I remember it Daidoji came out of the Shadowlands with his hair turned white as a result of the horrors he saw and experienced. Almost all Daidoji now dye their hair white to honor their founder. I believe many Doji and Kakita also do the same. I am less clear on this but believe its a combination of (1) honoring a great hero of the clan and (2) stylish. The Asahina are much less "militant" than the Daidoji. To put it mildly. I don't think they usually dye their hair. Certainly the core book illustration shows them as black.

Given the rivalry between the Yasuki and the Daidoji I would guess that the Yasuki do not generally dye their hair. ...Unless one is under cover pretending to be a Crane.

My thoughts and guesses. I am sure there are people on this forum who have a deeper well of knowledge on the topic than I.

4 hours ago, Void Crane said:

I don't have my books in front of me. As I remember it Daidoji came out of the Shadowlands with his hair turned white as a result of the horrors he saw and experienced.

Just as a note, it's Doji Hayaku. He was then awarded the right to found his own family, and "Daidoji" means (in-setting) "Defender of the Doji."

He was one of Doji and Kakita's sons.

1 hour ago, Hida Jitenno said:

Just as a note, it's Doji Hayaku. He was then awarded the right to found his own family, and "Daidoji" means (in-setting) "Defender of the Doji."

He was one of Doji and Kakita's sons.

Which basically means that Daidoji, Doji and Kakita all have a close call on the 'in honour of an ancestor' thing.

7 hours ago, Void Crane said:

Given the rivalry between the Yasuki and the Daidoji I would guess that the Yasuki do not generally dye their hair. ...Unless one is under cover pretending to be a Crane.

I suspect elder Yasuki do dye their hair.....black.   The reasons for doing so likely vary from person to person, if you get my drift.

17 hours ago, Tonbo Karasu said:

Which basically means that Daidoji, Doji and Kakita all have a close call on the 'in honour of an ancestor' thing.

We know at least one Kakita who does so as a fashion statement - Kakita Riku (the Crane Topaz Champion NPC) notably dies half her hair white and then wraps it into a black/white alternating braid.

23 hours ago, Void Crane said:

I don't have my books in front of me. As I remember it Daidoji came out of the Shadowlands with his hair turned white as a result of the horrors he saw and experienced.

Sidenote: this is just the official story. I think they said it in Bearers of Jade that Hayaku's hair turned white because he sucked up a hefty amount of Taint while adventuring in the Shadowlands. 

On 8/11/2019 at 4:27 AM, Void Crane said:

The Asahina are much less "militant" than the Daidoji. To put it mildly. I don't think they usually dye their hair. Certainly the core book illustration shows them as black.

There are a small number of Asahina born with white hair and blue eyes, though.