Sign in to follow this  
Gilarius

Ship attack range (noob question)

2 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

Hull zones are only on cardboard...  So if you are measuring attacks, it’s from cardboard to cardboard, ship to ship.

But if it’s a non-attack distance (Home one, Tractor Beams, etc), then that is plastic to plastic too.

Thank you. Consistency would make it easier to learn! (X-wing is also inconsistent, but only when concerning nubs on bases and tokens.)

4 hours ago, Karneck said:

This might help you, check out the rest of my channel as well!

I watched it, along with quite a few others - it's why I decided to ask the question - you'd said in it that ships measure to and from hull zones, but hadn't explained that this did not include the plastic bases - coming from x-wing, attack ranges are measured from the plastic base, but are still called 'firing arcs'. So I wanted explicit confirmation.

Very helpful videos you've made, as I'm sure you already know! :)

1 hour ago, Gilarius said:

So I wanted explicit confirmation.

The easy way to remember is that the "hull zone" is the bit marked out on the cardboard (because that's the bit that is split into zones), but the "ship" includes the plastic. So if anything references the distance to the hull zone it must be the cardboard, but if it talks about measuring to a ship it is to the plastic.

Then you have the shield dials and the plastic around them - but they only count for overlapping obstacles, ships and squadrons. The rest of the time you can pretend they don't exist. And the ship model itself is just for decoration.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:08 AM, Grumbleduke said:

The easy way to remember is that the "hull zone" is the bit marked out on the cardboard (because that's the bit that is split into zones), but the "ship" includes the plastic. So if anything references the distance to the hull zone it must be the cardboard, but if it talks about measuring to a ship it is to the plastic.

Then you have the shield dials and the plastic around them - but they only count for overlapping obstacles, ships and squadrons. The rest of the time you can pretend they don't exist. And the ship model itself is just for decoration.

Not only. The shield count as ship base.

The shield dial is ignored:

• when measuring line of sight through other ships. It is not ignored for the attacking and defending ship, only for these that might obstuct (learned it the hard way 😁)
  • checking if a ship is outside the play area
  • when measuring firing arc, range or distance

But the fact that it count as ship base is really important when placing the SSD for example.