Sign in to follow this  
Derrault

What villains do we anticipate coming next?

On 8/18/2019 at 12:12 PM, phillos said:

Well to be fair the Guardians relaunched to be almost exactly like the movies during Bendis' run and that coincided with the movies.  He said he had some input as a consultant on the movie.  Then when he left they've been slowly moving them back to their roots especially under Gerry Duggan and Donny Cates.  Though modern GotG is miles away from the original GotG which was a far future rebellion story (with an almost completely different cast) and still pretty far away from the pre-movie DnA era which was more about a group of ex-con/galactic first responders (it was kinda a dirty dozen type story in it inception).  Also it very much was born out of the legacy of the Infinity Watch comic sharing many of the same characters and plot elements.  The movies really thrust the idea of the Guardians as goofy kinda mercenary/thieves and that has slowly crept into the comic as well. 

Starlord was more a war hero/war criminal with a questionable moral compass and now he is pretty much Chris Pratt's mercenary with a heart character.  It's fine, but it is a far cry from what he was before the movie and he was the most changed by the shift.  That said the pre-movie Starlord was also a reinvention of the character from his silver age representation.  I'm fine with characters adapting to the times.  Rocket, Groot and Gamora are all pretty much the same.  Drax is not too different from his pre-movie version but also that character reinvents himself often anyway.

I agree that most of this stuff probably won't translate to the game anyway so it barely matters.  Starlord's tech is pretty much the same regardless of his portrayal.  Rocket will still react with hyperbolic violence regardless of his inspiration.  Drax is probably still gonna stab people with knives and try and overpower them with his strength... so it probably won't be too alien to the readers.  Maybe people will ask questions if Quill's deck makes reference to Spartax,  If Gamora's deck includes a Pip ally or makes reference to the Infinity Watch.  If Rocket's cards have some reference to Halfworld (which would make me so happy).  Though those questions will probably just make people curious to check out the comics rather than completely turn them off.

This makes me curious to see how people react to the differences between the way some characters look. Starlord looks very different in the comics compared to the movies.

The current comics Starlord is a 1:1 copy of Chris Pratt

The Abnett and Lanning version of Starlord (and the other Guardians) was much more unique and I’m also curious how people only familiar with the movies would like him

8 hours ago, cheapmate said:

The current comics Starlord is a 1:1 copy of Chris Pratt

The Abnett and Lanning version of Starlord (and the other Guardians) was much more unique and I’m also curious how people only familiar with the movies would like him

I liked him. And the current Cates Stat Lord is somewhat close to him.

Posted (edited)

It's closer.  They are certainly trying to build a bridge.  Bendis/Duggen Starlord was totally just Chris Pratt.  He was even drawn in the same exact outfit as the MCU Starlord in the ladder half of the Bendis run.  In the Duggan run they gave Starlord a weird beard.

I'm totally hoping one of these campaign boxes will be an Annihilation story box with Annihilus leading a Negative Zone invasion.  That was my favorite Marvel event.  You'd be able to include an interesting group of heroes in that one.  The majority of which would be future members of the Guardians.  If I had my way I'd like to see maybe Starlord, Nova, Drax, Super Skrull and Gamora.  I think Rocket and Groot are popular enough to sell their own packs.  A close second for me would be The Coming Of Galactus with the FF and Silver Surfer in the box.  I've always been a sucker for the space stories.

Edited by phillos

Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2019 at 11:58 AM, jonboyjon1990 said:

Yeah it almost feels like a deliberate attempt for FFG to say: “this game is based on the comics, not the MCU, and we’re more than happy to delve into the obscure depths of this IP” 

also they seem like generic bad guys/villains/criminals so it may also be a way of adding staple/generic stuff to the villain card pool. 

Late response to this... but I expect this game to treat the IP in a very similar way to Marvel Legendary.  

If I'm correct, releases will probably be influenced by new movies as they come out, but the characters selected and the art used will definitely be much more based on the comics and they'll hopefully be just as willing to go 'obscure'.  A good example is the Deadpool set for Legendary.  It was released very close to the Deadpool movie, but had nothing to do with the film and mostly used characters only someone really into the comics would recognize like Bob, Slapstick, and Solo.

Edited by KBlumhardt

On August 19, 2019 at 10:37 AM, phillos said:

Also back to the topic at hand I so hope we get a Fin Fang Foom pack.  Who doesn't want to fight a mystical dragon in purple boxing shorts.

The NEXTWAVE team didn't seem too happy about it.  ;)

On August 16, 2019 at 12:50 PM, jonboyjon1990 said:

No it wasn’t sarcastic. All I’m saying is when people see ‘new Marvel LCG from FFG’ they’d be forgiven for thinking it was based on the MCU rather than the comics. 

Because it’s only really the MCU that has taken superheroes into the public consciousness in a big way. 

I think it would be more fair to say that the MCU has been the most successful attempt at bringing superheroes into the public consciousness, but it's far from the only one.  Characters like Superman and Batman have been pop culture staples since literally before I was born, and Spider-Man and X-Men were billion dollar franchises before Robert Downey Jr. ever suited up.

20 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

I would want a campaign. You could have one of his Queens as the furst boss. Then Ravenous. And end with Annihilus.

Ravenous and the Seekers as the first, Thanos as the second and ending with Annihilus

Heroes included would be Nova, Drax, Silver Surfer, Phyla-Vell (also an alternative Captain Marvel) and Peter Quill

Posted (edited)

Yeah the only reason I pause at Phyla is she's another Captain Marvel alternative potentially (though you could do the Quasar version of Phyla).  Otherwise I think she's great and she's back in the GotG comics which is nice.  I think Nova, Drax and Pete are must includes in an Annihilation box.  I could see some combination of Ronan, Silver Surfer, Phyla, Moon Dragon, Gamora, and maybe Wendell Vaughn as Quasar filling out the box.  I'd like to see a Cammie ally in a Drax deck.  I feel like they've just completely forgotten about her and I liked the dynamic between the two characters.  If they give us Annihilation Conquest related stuff as a follow on in packs you can bring in Rocket, Adam Warlock, Mantis and/or Groot.  Just don't bring in Wraith.  I hate that guy :)

Edited by phillos

I actually dont think Peter needs to be a Hero for it. He played a smaller role. Definitely if they did Conquest in some way. Or more likely his own Hero Pack.

I have hears that they are only doing 2 Heroes in the Campaign boxes. I could see a chance of a 3rd depending on the campaign.

I would want Nova and Drax. Silver Surfer as a 3rd.

9 hours ago, Radix2309 said:

I actually dont think Peter needs to be a Hero for it. He played a smaller role. Definitely if they did Conquest in some way. Or more likely his own Hero Pack.

I have hears that they are only doing 2 Heroes in the Campaign boxes. I could see a chance of a 3rd depending on the campaign.

I would want Nova and Drax. Silver Surfer as a 3rd.

I think Starlord is highly likely for a playable hero just for the pop culture appeal from the GotG movies, though.  (I know this game is based on the comics, but I think they're still going to take a lot of cues from the movies because they're more familiar to the average person.)

If it's only two then yeah it would need to be Nova and Drax probably.  Gamora and Starlord were leaders in the United Front, but they clearly weren't the stars of the event.  I could see Silver Surfer, but he should probably be in a Galactus box if they do one.  I would really like to see a Super Skrull hero deck though :)  All that said unless we are leading into an Annihilation event in the next few phases of the MCU I doubt they'll do it.  More likely we get an Infinity Gauntlet box, Dark Phoenix, Coming of Galactus or a Civil War box.  Annihilation is not well known outside of die-hard Marvel fandom (even though it's a fantastic event), and Richard Rider has yet to break out into any of the movies or TV shows.  Though putting several prominent Guardians in there would probably still sell the box.