Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Derrault

What villains do we anticipate coming next?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, CitizenKeen said:

I assume Red Skull is Captain America's Nemesis.

Most of the other Nemesis villains haven’t been really big villains in my view. Arguably Killmonger, and Titania is probably one of She Hulk’s top villains, but Vulture and Whiplash aren’t exactly the top rivals for those heroes...

I’d expect to see a separate Red Skull Scenario. Something cosmic cube related presumably. If I were a betting man, I’d probably guess Crossbones for Cap’s Nemesis. 

I’d expect a Loki deck at some point. Thor’s Nemesis possibly Enchantress? Doctor Octopus does seem likely in the future, but probably after a few more non-Spider-Man villains (although they do have exposure). Thanks seems likely, but maybe later on. Kang the Conqueror could be interesting mechanically if they can find a good way to represent him messing with time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FearLord said:

Most of the other Nemesis villains haven’t been really big villains in my view. Arguably Killmonger, and Titania is probably one of She Hulk’s top villains, but Vulture and Whiplash aren’t exactly the top rivals for those heroes...

I’d expect to see a separate Red Skull Scenario. Something cosmic cube related presumably. If I were a betting man, I’d probably guess Crossbones for Cap’s Nemesis. 

I’d expect a Loki deck at some point. Thor’s Nemesis possibly Enchantress? Doctor Octopus does seem likely in the future, but probably after a few more non-Spider-Man villains (although they do have exposure). Thanks seems likely, but maybe later on. Kang the Conqueror could be interesting mechanically if they can find a good way to represent him messing with time.

Oh I didnt think of Crossbones. My bet was Arnim Zola, but Crossbonesis much better. 

She-Hulk doesnt have a deep villain roster, so she didnt have much room.

Black Panther's arch villain is Klaw usually, and look at him with his own scenario.

 

We got the Wrecking Crew, so amybody is fair game

I am thinking either Kang or the Mandarin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

Oh I didnt think of Crossbones. My bet was Arnim Zola, but Crossbonesis much better. 

She-Hulk doesnt have a deep villain roster, so she didnt have much room.

Black Panther's arch villain is Klaw usually, and look at him with his own scenario.

 

We got the Wrecking Crew, so amybody is fair game

I am thinking either Kang or the Mandarin.

Wrecking Crew are certainly a much more niche choice, particularly early, but it will be interesting to see how a team of villains is handled. Means they could potentially use something similar for other teams in the future - Sinister 6, Serpent Society, Dark Avengers, etc?

Taskmaster could be done, and his stock will presumably be up next year with the Black Widow film coming out.

Baron Zemo I could see. Venom is another Spider-Man Villain I’d expect to see at some point. It’s also possible I suppose to have some scenarios which aren’t massively tied to a particular villain - Kree / Skrull War for example or secret invasion? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TechnoGolem said:

The Wreaking Crew is a big surprise. Pretty much a "who?"team unless you read comics.

But it makes me happy they are not trying to capitalize on the movies alone.

Makes me curious if they will turn nemesis characters into villain decks.

Yeah it almost feels like a deliberate attempt for FFG to say: “this game is based on the comics, not the MCU, and we’re more than happy to delve into the obscure depths of this IP” 

also they seem like generic bad guys/villains/criminals so it may also be a way of adding staple/generic stuff to the villain card pool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Wrecking Crew are one of Thor’s main villains in the comics. He doesn’t have many others aside from Loki that would be great headliners to sell a pack. Hera is known because of the movies, but Ulik, Enchantress, Mr Hyde and his other longtime foes are all kinda dumb.

I really like that they chose them instead of going straight for Loki.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gokubb said:

The Wrecking Crew are one of Thor’s main villains in the comics. He doesn’t have many others aside from Loki that would be great headliners to sell a pack. Hera is known because of the movies, but Ulik, Enchantress, Mr Hyde and his other longtime foes are all kinda dumb.

I really like that they chose them instead of going straight for Loki.

Enchantress, Surter, Frost Giants, the World Serpent.

And Malakith just had a massive event in the comics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Radix2309 said:

Enchantress, Surter, Frost Giants, the World Serpent.

And Malakith just had a massive event in the comics. 

I know they've tried some more stuff with Malakith in the comics. I don't know why. He's one of the worst villains in the MCU and wasn't that big a Thor villain before being announced for Thor: The Dark World. They could do Surtur or even Ymir, but that's getting us out of the realm of Earth, which I doubt the game does just yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2019 at 6:58 PM, jonboyjon1990 said:

Yeah it almost feels like a deliberate attempt for FFG to say: “this game is based on the comics, not the MCU, and we’re more than happy to delve into the obscure depths of this IP” 

Was this sarcastic? I can’t tell

Ofcourse the game is based on the comics!

And the Wrecking Crew is hardly obscure, I think they have fought against every superhero Marvel has at one point or another

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cheapmate said:

Was this sarcastic? I can’t tell

Ofcourse the game is based on the comics!

And the Wrecking Crew is hardly obscure, I think they have fought against every superhero Marvel has at one point or another

No it wasn’t sarcastic. All I’m saying is when people see ‘new Marvel LCG from FFG’ they’d be forgiven for thinking it was based on the MCU rather than the comics. 

Because it’s only really the MCU that has taken superheroes into the public consciousness in a big way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The real question is whether they use the comic or MCU version of a character when they have appeared in both. So far it seems to be a little of both. Captain Marvel is definitely more the MCU version and Iron Man seems to have elements of both. Spider Man seems more comics (which given how bad a lot of his films have been is probably for the best) while Black Panther again leans a bit more to his MCU persona. Of course in these cases the comic and MCU characters are still essentially the same character.

How about when the MCU and comic characters diverge more radically? For example Star Lord. The MCU Star Lord is a lot different than his comic version as are all of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Doctor Strange is also pretty different as his MCU persona is more science based and also has a personality sort of like what Tony Stark would be like if he had Mystic Arts skills and access to an Infinity Stone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Joelist said:

The real question is whether they use the comic or MCU version of a character when they have appeared in both. So far it seems to be a little of both. Captain Marvel is definitely more the MCU version and Iron Man seems to have elements of both. Spider Man seems more comics (which given how bad a lot of his films have been is probably for the best) while Black Panther again leans a bit more to his MCU persona. Of course in these cases the comic and MCU characters are still essentially the same character.

How about when the MCU and comic characters diverge more radically? For example Star Lord. The MCU Star Lord is a lot different than his comic version as are all of the Guardians of the Galaxy. Doctor Strange is also pretty different as his MCU persona is more science based and also has a personality sort of like what Tony Stark would be like if he had Mystic Arts skills and access to an Infinity Stone. 

There's also a temporal nature to the comics.

If they do Guardians of the Galaxy, are they doing them from when? Because the comics are slowly shifting in alignment to be more and more like the movies (because, as @jonboyjon1990 said, most people didn't care about most of these characters until the movies). So you get into this weird area where we've got various versions of the character from throughout the history of comics.

Honestly, I think for the most part it doesn't matter. Like, you can interpret most of these characters however you want. Their relationships aren't super manifest in the game, it's mostly about powers and aesthetics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, cheapmate said:

Now I know you are joking...

Maybe I’m misinterpreting you - but you’re coming across as hostile for some reason...? 

Yes, Marvel is a huge IP, and yes superheroes have been around for decades and decades, but they always been part of a nerdy niche, culturally speaking. It’s only really in the last 10-15 years that they’ve gone mainstream. 

Obviously there’s a huge crossover between tabletop gamers and nerdy IPs like Star Wars, LOTR and Marvel (hence FFG’s success). So I’ve no doubt that Marvel Champions LCG will be a big success. I think it being based on the comics is the right move - there’s way more content, a much bigger fan base and more scope to do different things/flavours. 

All I’m saying is that FFG could have also made a case for it being based on MCU since that’s what is part of the public zeitgeist right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody's talking about preference, people are talking about awareness.

I work on a team with about 30 people in a non-geek industry. There are three of us who have read a comic book in the last five years. There is one person who hasn't seen Endgame.

The Wrecking Crew, having never been in a movie, is very obscure, by virtue of the fact that comics, as an industry, are obscure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, cheapmate said:

I’m not trying to be hostile, I apologize if came over as such, but I’m trying to get across a sense of bewilderment that anyone would prefer the movies over the comics

And I’m a geek, not a nerd 😉

No worries then - always difficult to infer tone on the internet so I always try to give benefit of the doubt. 

Yeah as @CitizenKeen says I’m not really talking about preference or comics vs movies or what’s better for the game/FFG. 

Just that it’s easy to be in a gaming/nerd/geek bubble and think that a thing is popular or mainstream, which it sometimes is far from it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2019 at 11:15 PM, Derrault said:

I’m guessing Red Skull, since Cap is coming out soon after the core, and of course Doc Ock, but mostly just because. 

Are there multiple nemesis in each hero pack?  If Red Skull becomes a villain pack down the road, how does that work with heroes who have them as a nemesis?  Why would Doc Ock be in the Captain America hero pack?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, urloony said:

Are there multiple nemesis in each hero pack?  If Red Skull becomes a villain pack down the road, how does that work with heroes who have them as a nemesis?  Why would Doc Ock be in the Captain America hero pack?

Oh I was saying for villain packs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, CitizenKeen said:

There's also a temporal nature to the comics.

If they do Guardians of the Galaxy, are they doing them from when? Because the comics are slowly shifting in alignment to be more and more like the movies (because, as @jonboyjon1990 said, most people didn't care about most of these characters until the movies). So you get into this weird area where we've got various versions of the character from throughout the history of comics.

Honestly, I think for the most part it doesn't matter. Like, you can interpret most of these characters however you want. Their relationships aren't super manifest in the game, it's mostly about powers and aesthetics.

Well to be fair the Guardians relaunched to be almost exactly like the movies during Bendis' run and that coincided with the movies.  He said he had some input as a consultant on the movie.  Then when he left they've been slowly moving them back to their roots especially under Gerry Duggan and Donny Cates.  Though modern GotG is miles away from the original GotG which was a far future rebellion story (with an almost completely different cast) and still pretty far away from the pre-movie DnA era which was more about a group of ex-con/galactic first responders (it was kinda a dirty dozen type story in it inception).  Also it very much was born out of the legacy of the Infinity Watch comic sharing many of the same characters and plot elements.  The movies really thrust the idea of the Guardians as goofy kinda mercenary/thieves and that has slowly crept into the comic as well. 

Starlord was more a war hero/war criminal with a questionable moral compass and now he is pretty much Chris Pratt's mercenary with a heart character.  It's fine, but it is a far cry from what he was before the movie and he was the most changed by the shift.  That said the pre-movie Starlord was also a reinvention of the character from his silver age representation.  I'm fine with characters adapting to the times.  Rocket, Groot and Gamora are all pretty much the same.  Drax is not too different from his pre-movie version but also that character reinvents himself often anyway.

I agree that most of this stuff probably won't translate to the game anyway so it barely matters.  Starlord's tech is pretty much the same regardless of his portrayal.  Rocket will still react with hyperbolic violence regardless of his inspiration.  Drax is probably still gonna stab people with knives and try and overpower them with his strength... so it probably won't be too alien to the readers.  Maybe people will ask questions if Quill's deck makes reference to Spartax,  If Gamora's deck includes a Pip ally or makes reference to the Infinity Watch.  If Rocket's cards have some reference to Halfworld (which would make me so happy).  Though those questions will probably just make people curious to check out the comics rather than completely turn them off.

Edited by phillos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...