ElderKoala

Upgrading a Safe House / Lair / Base?

Basic idea:  Sliders meets Killjoys with a dash of Dresden Files.

My players are playing a team of contracted mercs.  They're no names, no reputations with barely a credit to their collective names.  But they get by.  I've got an okay handle on monthlies, the cost of contracts and managing gear / fencing loot.  What I'm struggling with is upgrading their "base" (it's an apartment in the slums right now).  It's very possible I missed it in the 3 books or I can kidnap it from Star Wars.  I don't mind Story GM Hand waving, but on the other hand I don't want to make it feel generic "We have an upgraded house."  And that's where I'm stuck.  I don't want to get crunchy, but I do want to a.) make any upgrades a financial drain and b.) if you install a hidden vault in your house, that's cool.  But.. how?  Thanks!

To add to Bricksteel there is two more:

Edge of the Empires: Far Horizons page 81~85 have Homestead (similar to rebel base) and Business (more merchant oriented). You can use obligation as well as credits in these rules.

Age of Rebellion: Fully Operational  page 74~75 have Converting Civilian Facility to make a more concealed base that uses a legit institution to hide the rebel agenda.

There is also Force and Destiny: Knights of Fate 92~95 which allows you to use xp to make a Jedi school and rules for followers and NPC helpers. Not really a base but useful maybe for some ideas.

YES!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks gang!  My would be "We joined this company because we were almost on the verge of starvation and homeless" heroes can no slowly build their way up from the slums to the penthouse!

The order 66 did a run down of those rules in episode 59 -  Homestead is Where the Obligation is you can skip about 25 into the show to avoid all the intro chatter. Also the followup episode 60 deals with rebel bases. 

As the guy who initially wrote the Homestead rules (and the Jedi school stuff from the Warrior book), I'm glad to see these finding life in Genesys as well! I also did rules for building a fighter gym along the same lines for my Genesys Foundry supplement (Ready...Fight!) Which you can check out on Drive Thru RPG.