Kieransi

Ship of the Day: Starfortress

This is how to super  Vennie.

Vennie gets 3 focus per turn. Even if he bumps or does stops.  Greer enables defensive focus adds when jousting 

Vennie (60)    
    Trajectory Simulator (10)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    
    Perceptive Copilot (8)    
    Paige Tico (7)    
    Veteran Turret Gunner (8)    
    Proton Bombs (5)    
    Seismic Charges (3)    

Ship total: 105  Half Points: 53  Threshold: 6    

Nodin Chavdri (36)    
    Korr Sella (6)    
    PZ-4CO (6)    
    M9-G8 (7)    

Jamming beam too I suppose

Ship total: 55  Half Points: 28  Threshold: 4    

Greer Sonnel (36)    
    Advanced Optics (4)    

Ship total: 40  Half Points: 20  Threshold: 2    

Total: 200    

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZhZ200Z294X114W186W54W189W90W69W71WY352XWWW245W246W197WY270XWWW186&sn=All In Vennie&obs=

Did get some flying in with Finch Dallow (casually, never really competitively) and to be fair he was always pretty fun, and never really disappointed.

My usual load out would involve Paige & prox mines. Other upgrades feel optional:

Vtg ain't bad

C3p0 feels like a cheaper perceptive copilot

Some form of timed bomb (seismic or proton) is a good contingency

Trajectory simulator is always good

So the loadout would range (depending on how I was running it) from 77 up to somewhere around 110 in a worst case scenario.

And yes: he does have a deathwish; because what you want to do is get to range 1, take a shot at your target, then drop a prox mine directly onto them.

It's been my experience that as a build it makes the opponent a lot more cautious around your bomber.

Like I said at the top, reasonable success but I've never flown it at a competitive level.

7 minutes ago, namdoolb said:

Did get some flying in with Finch Dallow (casually, never really competitively) and to be fair he was always pretty fun, and never really disappointed.

My usual load out would involve Paige & prox mines. Other upgrades feel optional:

Vtg ain't bad

C3p0 feels like a cheaper perceptive copilot

Some form of timed bomb (seismic or proton) is a good contingency

Trajectory simulator is always good

So the loadout would range (depending on how I was running it) from 77 up to somewhere around 110 in a worst case scenario.

And yes: he does have a deathwish; because what you want to do is get to range 1, take a shot at your target, then drop a prox mine directly onto them.

It's been my experience that as a build it makes the opponent a lot more cautious around your bomber.

Like I said at the top, reasonable success but I've never flown it at a competitive level.

Finch's ability doesn't work with mines, only bombs. Same with Paige Tico.

While I love vennie's ability, I can't ever justify using him at motherloving SITH prices

As nice as he is, he ain't no Darth Maul that's for sure. He might not even really be Rey either

For my taste, the real "bomber" bomber is Edon with his "genius" ability. Dropping prox mines on expensive aces before they get to activate is just gold, and with fuses you have much better control over your bombs

Issue is, as always, motherloving tsims pushing his cost WAY past reasonable.

(64) Edon Kappehl [MG-100 StarFortress]

(5) Proton Bombs
(6) Proximity Mines
(1) Delayed Fuses
(10) Trajectory Simulator
(2) Skilled Bombardier

Total points: 88

These are JUST BOMB UPGRADES!

methinks the base price of both the ship and Sims are a bit excessive

I am very sad by the lack of love for the super cool Starfortress!! I am a bit weird in that I really enjoy flying them and have had moderate levels of success both casually and in tournaments by flying two of the behemoths!!!

My current favourite list is:

Cat w Finn, VTG and Rose Tico, Finch w seismics, VTG and Paige Tico, and a filler ship (either a blue awing or a logistics transport)

This list is all bout using the hefty bulk, double tapping schenanigans and throwing out bulk red dice. By using Finch and Paige to drop a sesimic within range 1 of a an enemy ship, I am able to proc Cat's ability. Add in a Finn Blank, range 1 bonus, rose TL and VTG double taps, and Cat is attacking twice with a 6 die and 5 die attack!! Finch is also doing ok, shopoting at range 1 with a 4 die attack and paige makes sure that someone is always in arc!!

The trick I have found for them is not to use them as bombers but use them as WW2 Super Bombers throwing out red laser death!!!

Posted (edited)

One card I wish to try out more is crewbacca

Yes, the trigger of taking damage isn't ideal, but it's also kinda unavoidable (it is your DES TINY) when you're flying these parade floats.

Fortunately, you gain charges when any friendly within 0-3 takes a card, so that's also good, and at five points for a free focus --> crit mod...maybe?

Plus with the transport, we got a relatively cheap hull soak that can slap support on the bomber.

Cute on cat or even Finch as MAYBE you can get away without using tsims and also he packs I 4.

Only issue is ffg felt he was worth 64 naked, so.. 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Wondering if this might be any good? I tried to pull together various things that have been suggested in this and other threads:

Vennie (60)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
C-3PO (6)

Blue Squadron Rookie (45)
M9-G8 (7)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)

Finn (29)
Heroic (1)
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I’m not completely happy with the stripped-down X, but I couldn’t get a Red to fit without dropping other people’s talents, and I like the idea of having an M9 carrier. Could maybe fill this role with Cova in the Resistance Transport; just haven’t flown the thing yet.

2 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

Wondering if this might be any good? I tried to pull together various things that have been suggested in this and other threads:

Vennie (60)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
C-3PO (6)

Blue Squadron Rookie (45)
M9-G8 (7)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)

Finn (29)
Heroic (1)
Total: 199

I’m not completely happy with the stripped-down X, but I couldn’t get a Red to fit without dropping other people’s talents, and I like the idea of having an M9 carrier. Could maybe fill this role with Cova in the Resistance Transport; just haven’t flown the thing yet.

Trust me, VTG is worthless on a bomber without double mods.

I flew against 3 different Fortress lists this weekend at an event and found them annoyingly hard to put down (at least the way they were built)

Vennie I faced twice, and his ability (and mods for it) happened WAY more than I expected. One person had Perceptive, VTG and Rey on him. THAT was awful to try and get rid of. In fact he managed to survive the game on 1 health as I just could not get through 2/3 greens with mods with what I had left on the board. Very tanky.

Then I flew against a Finch list I had been against before. Annoying with his bomb stuff, but ok to put down. But then the other half of the list was a Rey Falcon so...

I have only just got the ship myself (never bought it in 1.0) so I am going to be trying it out soon.

Well shoot, there are some interesting points here about double mods. So why not just double down on the whole passive mod situation? This is at least a more interesting M9 carrier than the near-naked X I had before.

Vennie (60)
Rey (14)

Green Squadron Expert (35)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)

Finn (29)
Heroic (1)

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
M9-G8 (7)
Total: 200

Boom, there you go. Now Vennie can do whatever without worrying about getting actions for mods (though if they happen, that’s great), and Cova can do red-maneuver shenanigans while still getting a focus or whatnot. The downgraded A stings a little though... it’s tempting to shave a Talent somewhere to either match Cova’s initiative with Zari, or just go full Tallie.

If my game nights can stop falling prey to scheduling conflicts and varied misadventure, I would love to run this sucker.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:21 PM, ficklegreendice said:

One card I wish to try out more is crewbacca

Yes, the trigger of taking damage isn't ideal, but it's also kinda unavoidable (it is your DES TINY) when you're flying these parade floats.

Fortunately, you gain charges when any friendly within 0-3 takes a card, so that's also good, and at five points for a free focus --> crit mod...maybe?

Plus with the transport, we got a relatively cheap hull soak that can slap support on the bomber.

Cute on cat or even Finch as MAYBE you can get away without using tsims and also he packs I 4.

Only issue is ffg felt he was worth 64 naked, so.. 

I mean, Chewie is kind of Mini-Maul, for 5 points.  Doesn't seem terrible.

2 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

And when you lose your M9-G8 carrier, then what?

I think it’s about creating a difficult enough targeting environment that you can punish whatever your opponent chooses. Killing the M9 carrier might take a bit; and if they try, hopefully that buys you some time with Vennie doing Vennie things.

7 hours ago, Captain Lackwit said:

And when you lose your M9-G8 carrier, then what?

You can't build a list that only functions if all pieces are intact. When you lose your M9-G8 carrier, you should have ensured that you are up on points, then you are still left with a giant points fortress and an end game ace that you can use to close out. M9-G8 and perceptive co-pilot is the power behind the gunship Vennie because it makes for two hyper accurate shots.

2 hours ago, Dreadai said:

You can't build a list that only functions if all pieces are intact. When you lose your M9-G8 carrier, you should have ensured that you are up on points, then you are still left with a giant points fortress and an end game ace that you can use to close out. M9-G8 and perceptive co-pilot is the power behind the gunship Vennie because it makes for two hyper accurate shots.

I’m curious what you think about PerCo vs. Rey. My thought in picking Rey was that it makes you less action-dependent, which should help to open up your dial. On a turn when you get an action, you have focus+force; not as good as 2x focus, but not terrible. Whereas on a turn when you don’t get any actions, you still at least get the force.

21 hours ago, CoffeeMinion said:

I’m curious what you think about PerCo vs. Rey. My thought in picking Rey was that it makes you less action-dependent, which should help to open up your dial. On a turn when you get an action, you have focus+force; not as good as 2x focus, but not terrible. Whereas on a turn when you don’t get any actions, you still at least get the force.

My favoured build is Paige gunner over Rey for the free rotates, however Rey is awesome in herself as she makes you not entirely helpless if you get your actions shut down either by a block, or a panicked pilot.

I don't think I'd ever run Vennie without either of Perceptive co-pilot, or C-3PO on board. Considering both his ability and the VTG shots, you are going to need a lot of modifiers for those shots, so force, rerolls and focus will all get used up quite fast, and faster still if you are the focus of incoming shots.