Sign in to follow this  
That Blasted Samophlange

Bunker article!

6 hours ago, Steck638 said:

I have files to 3d print a bunker, I was really hoping this or the droids would come with new non scenario battle cards. Because it doesnt I think it's going to be a pass from me for now, we'll see after I get my droid army more together and dont have tanks looming on the horizon.

Overall I like that they have terrain now, I just really want it to either come with new things you could use in competitive play, or was priced a bit lower. I really want them to take my money I just dont know if I want to drop that much money on something I will only get some use out of a fiew times.

that would have been a terrible terrible move by ffg as it would have put competitive cards behind a pay wall.

I look at those computer consoles/terminals out front and all I can think is, "I am one with the Force; the Force is with me." This would make a very impressive addition to a beaches of Scarif table.

6 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

Agreed - this is huge. It’s the difference between “meh, is this really worth it?” to “this is awesome!”

I really don’t think that I need a “huge” building in a 3x4 table. It is expensive, pricey, or whatever you want to call it, and I am not talking about my personal income, it is VERY expensive compared to other wargame products out there. That bunker should cost, considering other plastic wargames products, about 30$. The detailed interior is NOT an additional 45$ worth. Simply google wargames plastic building and see the prices (for much better quality).

4 hours ago, Tubb said:

I really don’t think that I need a “huge” building in a 3x4 table. It is expensive, pricey, or whatever you want to call it, and I am not talking about my personal income, it is VERY expensive compared to other wargame products out there. That bunker should cost, considering other plastic wargames products, about 30$. The detailed interior is NOT an additional 45$ worth. Simply google wargames plastic building and see the prices (for much better quality).

All the ones I’ve seen of similar size but much lower cost have been what amounts to facade - the exterior is amazing, however the interior is flat plastic. It’s a shell, nothing more or less. 

4 hours ago, Tubb said:

Yes BUT. If they only sold some squads of ewoks to play the scenarios with, I'd jump in.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ScummyRebel said:

All the ones I’ve seen of similar size but much lower cost have been what amounts to facade - the exterior is amazing, however the interior is flat plastic. It’s a shell, nothing more or less. 

Perhaps you give value to the detailed interior, but in my opinion, this is not Infinity or Batman Miniatures Game, where you got rules for occupying buildings, true line of sight, different units that can be invisible while unseen or a lot more of options like shooting through windows, doors, opening or closing them... I think this game is very streamlined, and so the buildings are more on the line of upside down boxes rather than really occupying interiors, halls, doors, shooting through windows, etc. so the detailed interior, although beautiful, is useless. And still is expensive. 

Edited by Tubb

13 hours ago, Tirion said:

that would have been a terrible terrible move by ffg as it would have put competitive cards behind a pay wall.

I would have agreed a couple months ago, but now with the prices of the tanks, I dont really think that's much of an argument any more. Sure it's expensive for some cards, but you wouldn't need them to play the game, they just would add options.

Like I said in my post, the scenarios look cool, and I'll probably get them eventually, but it's a lot to pay for 6 cards you'll get to use a few times and a bunker. Honestly I kinda want to get a bunker eventually just to paint and put in my display case to hold my rebs as I start playing CIS more. But hey designed a game that actually makes it kinda hard to go through doors into building because you need to be able to move the model along the movement tool and so there are some angles where you just cant get in the door. Once you're in the building you cant do much because it's got no way to view out besides the door. I am really hoping FFG makes terrain that is easier to use in game and that they dont drop this bunker that a lot of people dont buy after the negative reaction to the AT ST for the same reason and get discouraged from terrain making for a time.

Hard, hard pass.  Possibly the hardest pass I'll give an expansion for this game.  The piece is ridiculously overpriced, and as a terrain piece there are far cheaper options that look as good on the table.  The scenarios don't really appeal to me, but even if they did, I could always print off the cards and use one of the cheaper options.  

49 minutes ago, Steck638 said:

I would have agreed a couple months ago, but now with the prices of the tanks, I dont really think that's much of an argument any more. Sure it's expensive for some cards, but you wouldn't need them to play the game, they just would add options.

There's a huge difference between a unit being expensive and packaging competitive options in an at best tangentially rekated product

I can't honestly fathom how folks are saying $75 is expensive for the model with the interior and computer consoles?!

I've been looking at scratch building from studio set blueprints and this level of detail requires a ton of handwork or 3D printing and/or laser cutting. Buying a smaller model with less detail is going to be $30-$50 + shipping.

This is a premium model that comes with a bonus scenario and I couldn't be happier!

17 hours ago, That Blasted Samophlange said:

Good that amazon has it cheaper in the united states.   Ordering online I usually have to pay higher than MSRP.   My friendly brick and mortar store also sells for higher MSRP, but offers discounts and collect points for further discounts.    

If I order from amazon in the states I pay cheaper price, initially, but then have to wait and possibly pay imports/duties on things.   

Do what i did: become good friends with someone who owns a games shop, then ask them for a huge discount.

I think it’s a amazing and iconic piece of terrain, but I will rather spend my gaming budget on new units.

I’ve already made an Endor bunker out of cardboard (removable door and roof, and papercraft computer consoles) and thanks to FFG’s generous article, I can already print the mission cards and play.

Escape pod, bunker, downed AT-ST... what other iconic terrain could FFG make? Maybe one of those white turrets from the Hoth battle, with a little bit of trench?

3 hours ago, Scabiosus said:

I think it’s a amazing and iconic piece of terrain, but I will rather spend my gaming budget on new units.

See, I guess I’m not really there.

There are some game units I would buy before this. Units that look cool to me or are iconic (to me) elements of the Star Wars universe. But once I abandoned my addiction based “one of each”, I realized that not everything gets used anymore anyway so that is it’s own challenge just as much as how many times will I do the bunker mission. 

So, my rule is now the rule of cool. I’d buy dewback before this, but maybe not the shore or death troopers. I’m not sure which wins between the TX225 tank or the bunker. Both are cool - the bunker is more iconic but the tank may get more use despite having the AT-ST already.

It is towards the bottom of the queue for me because of the price tag, but I’d visit it once I get my Clone army (favorite ground army of the franchise) online.

20 hours ago, CaptainRocket said:

I can't honestly fathom how folks are saying $75 is expensive for the model with the interior and computer consoles?!

I've been looking at scratch building from studio set blueprints and this level of detail requires a ton of handwork or 3D printing and/or laser cutting. Buying a smaller model with less detail is going to be $30-$50 + shipping.

This is a premium model that comes with a bonus scenario and I couldn't be happier!

Personally, the interior consoles don't really ad much flavor.  It's something that won't be seen for the vast majority of most games as the roof will be on the bunker, and even if, for some reason, a fight were to develop inside the bunker, the interior detail would actually prove more problematic than its really worth.  Those consoles take up space and provide do-dads and whatsits that will snag and obstruct minis.  No thanks.

As for other options, let's do some comparisons.  The main competitor is the "Battlefield in a Box: Galactic Warzones - Bunker."  It costs anywhere from $25-$35 online, some of those options are with free shipping.  It comes prepainted, and ready to go out of the box.  For the price of one of FFG's offerings, you can buy 2-3 of these bunkers.  Granted, they are smaller, but that's not a huge issue as you'll be getting more space overall.  If, like the article suggests, want to buy two and put them back to back, you'll be in $150.  For that you can buy 3-5 bunkers, a Legion priority supplies pack to get some consoles for your bunkers, and the material to add basing/trenches/walls connecting your new bunker network.  Not only will you be getting more terrain, you'll likely have a far more unique set up and a far more interesting table to play on.  

https://www.gamenerdz.com/battlefield-in-a-box-galactic-warzones-bunker

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/gf9bb585.html

https://www.amazon.com/Gale-Force-Nine-Galactic-Warzones/dp/B07KJ97B9R/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=battlefield+in+a+box&qid=1565531881&s=gateway&sr=8-4

The interior isn't much of a selling point for me because Legion's movement tool doesn't handle indoor areas well. The lack of windows, while true to film, also makes the bunker a rather uninteractive piece of scenery. Including a back door helps a little, though- Does anyone have a good picture of the interior?

On 8/9/2019 at 12:47 PM, ScummyRebel said:

All those third party bunkers are just a shell with the outside looking cool and the inside being flat, and no floor just whatever surface you set it on.

So, have you heard of Battle Kiwi?
https://www.battlekiwi.com/product/the-bunker/

The only real differences I can see between that and the FFG one are mdf v plastic, square v trapezoid, battle kiwi having a back window and ffg having the semicircular Imperial console (gen con pictures).  

6 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

There are some game units I would buy before this. Units that look cool to me or are iconic (to me) elements of the Star Wars universe. But once I abandoned my addiction based “one of each”, I realized that not everything gets used anymore anyway so that is it’s own challenge just as much as how many times will I do the bunker mission. 

this is why i laugh when people max out lists when games drop. similar to what people will do with the clones core set. you get all this stuff early then you end up with boxes of plastic collecting dust. I watched it in Armada real bad, and to a lesser extent here with this game. though I will give ffg credit it is way less likely to over buy on this game vs Armada. I have only ever had 3 rebel troopers units and gotten along just fine. though in the crazy one that likes full rebel commando squads