Sign in to follow this  
Grathew

Sloane help

I put together this Sloane list a while ago, I was wondering if it's a good list to learn how Sloane works or not still. I have used this fighter ball on my sector fleets before so I understand how it works. I'm more wondering about the ships. 

Sloane 2+1 
Author: Grathew

Faction: Galactic Empire

Commander: Admiral Sloane

Assault Objective: Most Wanted
Defense Objective: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
-  Admiral Sloane  ( 24  points) 
 Avenger  ( 5  points) 
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points) 
-  Early Warning System  ( 7  points) 
-  SW-7 Ion Batteries  ( 5  points) 
= 168 total ship cost

Quasar Fire I-class Cruiser-Carrier (54 points)
 Squall  ( 3  points) 
-  Flight Controllers  ( 6  points) 
-  Boosted Comms  ( 4  points) 
-  Expanded Hangar Bay  ( 5  points) 
= 72 total ship cost

Gozanti-class Cruisers (23 points)
-  Comms Net  ( 2  points) 
= 25 total ship cost

1 Ciena Ree ( 17 points) 
1 Darth Vader ( 21 points) 
1 Dengar ( 20 points) 
1 Howlrunner ( 16 points) 
1 Mauler Mithel ( 15 points) 
1 Zertik Strom ( 15 points) 
1 Soontir Fel ( 18 points) 
1 Saber Squadron ( 12 points) 
= 134 total squadron cost

Posted (edited)

Looks good. Similar to my Sloane fleet. 

I use ECM rather than EWS. As a Sloan player you are less vulnerable to bomber attacks as you have a strong fighter force. I do get worried by big volleys that can accuracy the flagship's brace and maybe XI7 the redirects so I go for ECM to always let me brace the big attack.

SW7 or Leading shots is tough.... If you get good accuracies with the fighters to turn defences red then SW7s are better but LS also helps with Flak and is more useful if the red dice get poor rolls. If you get lots of unneeded blue accuracies just discard one with LS and reroll any other blue accuracies and all blank red dice. 

Quasar is good. I put SADviser and Boosted Comms on the ISD so to save points don't bother with a ship title here but Squall is nice too. I also add a Skilled First Officer to the Quasar for a bit of slicer tools protection (once but by then some TIEs have accuracied the scatter off the flotilla and you can kill it). 

Squads are good. I go for 5 TIE Phantoms, TIE interceptor, Mauler, Sabre, Jumpmaster, Black Squadron. Overall it kills ships a bit quicker than your fighters but your build will last longer and is better against squadrons. 

Nice Missions. I go for Fighter Ambush as a yellow mission but it does screw you in deployment and occasionally a stronger fighter user will do better with it. PIC and CO are safer alternatives. 

Edited by Mad Cat

Posted (edited)

I agree with Mad Cat about ECMs, also Strategic Adviser. I usually run boarding troopers on my isd 2 and bank a squadron command token on turn 1 and comms net a navigation token as well. Allows me to use my squadrons to deal with enemy squadrons while I weaken and get into close range with an enemy ship that I want to boarding troopers, Avenger nuke.

This is what I usually run. 

Name: Sloan's Imperial Aces
Faction: Imperial
Commander: Admiral Sloane

Assault: Advanced Gunnery
Defense: Planetary Ion Cannon
Navigation: Superior Positions

Imperial II (120)
• Admiral Sloane (24)
• Strategic Adviser (4)
• Boarding Troopers (3)
• Electronic Countermeasures (7)
• Leading Shots (4)
• Avenger (5)
= 167 Points

Quasar Fire I (54)
• Flight Commander (3)
• Flight Controllers (6)
• Boosted Comms (4)
• Squall (3)
= 70 Points

Gozanti Cruisers (23)
• Comms Net (2)
= 25 Points

Squadrons:
• Maarek Stele (21)
• Colonel Jendon (20)
• Dengar (20)
• Ciena Ree (17)
• Howlrunner (16)
• Mauler Mithel (15)
• Valen Rudor (13)
• Saber Squadron (12)
= 134 Points

Total Points: 396

Edited by grunnax93

My feeling is:

Expanded hangar bay feels unnecessary - I usually work to the assumption that fighter casualties are inevitable, and plan to have just slightly more fighters than I can optimally command to account for this. You shouldn't miss the expanded hangar bay.

ECM over early warning system - this has been covered by other people already, and they are absolutely right.

Ion Cannon upgrade might be better off as leading shots - ISD's front arc is 50% red dice after all,  and could use all the rerolls it can get.

That will save you enough points for XI7 turbolasers if you want it: those will take a lot of the pressure off the squadrons by letting you ignore all the redirect defense tokens.

That about covers it, removing gunnery teams to play boarding troops is a change you could make, but that's way more of a personal preference; I can totally get behind the gunnery teams.

I like this list, I have 2 small suggestions

1. Like everyone else ECM on the ISD

2. Swap out Squall with Pursuant, with the fighters you have you dont really need the extra push. The command flexibility is far more useful in my opinion. 

As @The Jabbawookie said, keep the Squall. This titel is insanely good.
But i would as well try to add a Skilled First Officer on the Quasar. As little protection against Slicer, or when you need a navigate to get out of a bad place.
And if you have the points, add Hondo as well. He is some kind of life-saver.

For the ISD i would think about the Gunnery Team. Double Attack is nice, but you really need the points somewhere else.
There are so many good cards that want to be added on the ISD that are more important. Leading Shots (but SW-7 is also a good idea, at least for the blue against ships), Brunson, Strategic Adviser. I would even think about the new Transponder net on the ISD, just as protection against enemy Intel.

About the Squadrons:

Even if i like your combination, i would really think about Stele instead of Vader. Vader is nice against squadrons. But thats it, only nice. Stele on the other hand is deadly against ships. And this is what you need and want.

I don't know how often you will fight against a SSD. But the SSD, with Quad Laser Turrets and Kallus, will rip your Squadrons in no time. This is why i went back to Rhymer in the Squadrons. Even if Rhymer does not profit this well from Sloane, it was nessacary to survive against the SSD.

And 3rd, even if this will end in the same squadrons i use (the same @grunnax93 listed, with Howlrunner switched for Rhymer against SSD):
Jendon... It give you activation range and a double attack from the most important squadron. You want to double attack with Saber and fly away again? Cienna is in a good place and want to attack again? Stele is hunting ships and you need to strip the defense Tokens?
Sorry if this sound like an old story. But jendon + Stele is one of the best squadron combinations you can get for Sloane. Even if it is 41 points, it is fully worth it. Their insane chance to get Tokens away is really unbeatable. And Stele is, unlike Vader, a Bomber for the crit.

1 hour ago, Tokra said:

Laser Turrets and Kallus, will rip your Squadrons in no time. This is why i went back to Rhymer in the Squadrons. Even if Rhymer does not profit this well from Sloane, it was nessacary to survive against the SSD.

I'm certainly missing something. How Rhymer helps against SSD? I mean it gives you close range so you are in flack range anyway even if you have increased range to attack ships thanks to him?

16 minutes ago, noggin said:

I'm certainly missing something. How Rhymer helps against SSD? I mean it gives you close range so you are in flack range anyway even if you have increased range to attack ships thanks to him?

You are in Flak range, but you are out of Counter range from the Quad Laser Turrets.
These two, Flak and Counter would kill the Scatter Aces in two turns. Way to fast to get them out again.

A SSD with Kallus, Quad Laser, H9 is a really good Scatter Ace killer. You can at least slow it down, when you can attack from bigger range.

8 hours ago, noggin said:

Also cute trick with phantoms lets you cloak into long range when combined with Rhymer.