Sign in to follow this  
ClassicalMoser

Task Force Rules?

I saw briefly in Crabbok’s RitR unboxing that task force gets a full 1-2 page ruleset before the campaign starts. Do we have images of these online anywhere?

I never have the time, space, or interest level from friends to get a full 400-pt game in, but 200pt 3x3 task force games seem just the right speed to get started before branching out.

Summary

-200 points

-At least one Non-flotilla ship

-Max 2 Flotillas

-No cap on squadrons

-Commanders optional

-3×3 Battlefield. When told to select a 3' edge, pick a non-player edge.

-Targeting Beacons, Fire Lanes, Fleet Ambush, Planetary Ion Cannon, and Intel Sweep are discouraged as they don't work well.

-Blockade Run just doesn't work

Full rules + Obstacles and Proximity Mine rules

1 hour ago, Squark said:

Summary

-200 points

-Max 2 Flotillas

-No cap on squadrons

-Commanders optional

-Targeting Beacons, Fire Lanes, Fleet Ambush, Planetary Ion Cannon, and Intel Sweep are discouraged as they don't work well.

Sweet, this is awesome! Thanks!

1 hour ago, Squark said:

Summary

-200 points

-Max 2 Flotillas

-No cap on squadrons

-Commanders optional

First time I've seen the proximity mine rules, they look really good (both happy and sad you can shoot them).

6 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Under Fleet Building. First Dot. 

If it sticks with the rule that the only thing you need to table your opponent is to destroy their non-squadron, non-flotilla, ship(s)...I mean, have at it.  Take your 160 pts of squads.  And good luck...

2 minutes ago, xanderf said:

If it sticks with the rule that the only thing you need to table your opponent is to destroy their non-squadron, non-flotilla, ship(s)...I mean, have at it.  Take your 160 pts of squads.  And good luck...

Faction: Rebel
Commander:

Assault: Precision Strike
Defense: Fighter Ambush
Navigation: Superior Positions

CR90 Corvette B (39)
= 39 Points

Squadrons:
• 2 x YT-2400 (32)
• Mart Mattin (22)
• 4 x Lancer Pursuit Craft (60)
• Dash Rendar (24)
• Ketsu Onyo (22)
= 160 Points

Total Points: 199

3 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

Faction: Rebel
Commander:

Assault: Precision Strike
Defense: Fighter Ambush
Navigation: Superior Positions

CR90 Corvette B (39)
= 39 Points

Squadrons:
• 2 x YT-2400 (32)
• Mart Mattin (22)
• 4 x Lancer Pursuit Craft (60)
• Dash Rendar (24)
• Ketsu Onyo (22)
= 160 Points

Total Points: 199

Sure, but we're playing one of my objectives instead of yours, because you have exactly one activation during the ship phase, so why would I care if you are first player?

And you'll notice you kind of aggressively lose turn 0 as you set up (effectively) your entire fleet before me, regardless of what objective we pick (your ship goes down first, and all your squads are stuck like glue to it during the remainder of deployment).  For that reason ALONE you probably want to try to squeeze at least a single flotilla in there, to buy some time to bluff a bit where your main deployment will be....

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Onidsen said:

If you're really wanting to do a fleet like that, a raider with Corvus is provably a better bet.  Redeploy after to get a safer location.

The problem is that the squadron ball is still stuck where the ship first went down.

You definitely want at least one ship + one flot, so you can plop the flot down for one deployment, then do a couple pairs of squad deployments to try to stall the enemy out a bit, before putting down your other ship where you need it with your major hitting element.

(Of course, at that point, you are out at least 39 + 18 to start with...and a speed-4 ship without engine techs has no guarantee it can keep out of range of the enemy fleet, anyway.  Really, what you are probably better off doing is just taking a pair of Hammerheads and running each one down the opposite map edge.  Enemy will get one, sure, but can he get both?  Ehhhhh….?)

That it's a 3' x 3' map is, IMHO anyway, about the only saving grace to the possibility at all.  It does blunt the impact of deployment advantages a lot.  Still, I think you need to think of one ship + one flot as the effective minimum before you go crazy with squads.  And in the end, the 'lose one ship and you are done' is tough to overcome - I think you still have to pray the enemy isn't bringing a Demolisher or Interdictor.  (Fair warning, as an Imperial player: so far every list I've been working on in this format has had either Demolisher or an Interdictor...)

Edited by xanderf

29 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I have no idea why people think that makes for an interesting game. Blob focus fire whooo

I think it’s mostly an attempt at mitigating the single large point fortress killer.

Squads being a natural hunter .

5 hours ago, xanderf said:

If it sticks with the rule that the only thing you need to table your opponent is to destroy their non-squadron, non-flotilla, ship(s)...

Depending on the rules you are playing by, you may need to kill flotillas. The flotilla-killing rule is in the Tournament Rules, not in the normal game rules.

At 400 points it doesn't really matter (because who plays non-tournament style 400-point games), but at 200-points that rule might be a little unfair, as flotillas are a much bigger chunk of the fleet. In RitR or CC games you still need to kill flotillas unless it is house ruled.

8 hours ago, xanderf said:

The problem is that the squadron ball is still stuck where the ship first went down.

You definitely want at least one ship + one flot, so you can plop the flot down for one deployment, then do a couple pairs of squad deployments to try to stall the enemy out a bit, before putting down your other ship where you need it with your major hitting element.

(Of course, at that point, you are out at least 39 + 18 to start with...and a speed-4 ship without engine techs has no guarantee it can keep out of range of the enemy fleet, anyway.  Really, what you are probably better off doing is just taking a pair of Hammerheads and running each one down the opposite map edge.  Enemy will get one, sure, but can he get both?  Ehhhhh….?)

That it's a 3' x 3' map is, IMHO anyway, about the only saving grace to the possibility at all.  It does blunt the impact of deployment advantages a lot.  Still, I think you need to think of one ship + one flot as the effective minimum before you go crazy with squads.  And in the end, the 'lose one ship and you are done' is tough to overcome - I think you still have to pray the enemy isn't bringing a Demolisher or Interdictor.  (Fair warning, as an Imperial player: so far every list I've been working on in this format has had either Demolisher or an Interdictor...)

Except I tought I read that you cannot equip any upgrades with unique names at start....which means no Demolisher. You can have a Gladiator, but it won't be Demo.....

4 hours ago, Grumbleduke said:

Depending on the rules you are playing by, you may need to kill flotillas. The flotilla-killing rule is in the Tournament Rules, not in the normal game rules.

At 400 points it doesn't really matter (because who plays non-tournament style 400-point games), but at 200-points that rule might be a little unfair, as flotillas are a much bigger chunk of the fleet. In RitR or CC games you still need to kill flotillas unless it is house ruled.

At 200 points I'm bringing a Star Destroyer and a Gladiator. Who needs flotillas? 😆

10 hours ago, Drasnighta said:

I think it’s mostly an attempt at mitigating the single large point fortress killer.

Squads being a natural hunter .

Wait I don’t understand what you mean. 

Also squads themselves are a massive point fortress vs ships as flak basically never kills anything. And overwhelming squads will generally take out smaller groups. 

Either way its still till kind of sad to see actual armada size ships go by the way side. Seven waves of ships but players are incentivized to avoid all of that and all of the difficult movement. 

12 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

Also squads themselves are a massive point fortress vs ships as flak basically never kills anything. And overwhelming squads will generally take out smaller groups. 

Either way its still till kind of sad to see actual armada size ships go by the way side. Seven waves of ships but players are incentivized to avoid all of that and all of the difficult movement. 

It's not as if FFG isn't giving ships AA upgrades. The problem here is that they aren't as effective as other squadrons.

I wonder why this is. It's as if FFG is purposefully avoiding giving ships effective upgrades to combat fighters- perhaps to prevent fighters from being totally obsolescent? Or by maintaining the viability of 8 point TIE Fighters, which in a stronger AA meta would be an incredibly wasteful investment?

I suppose here the thought should be that commanded fighters are a better investment than speedbumps / rogues, because they can activate first to destroy those other fighters in the squadron phase- necessitating a carrier. Crash fighters into the battle line to eliminate a few of the squadrons as your carrier chases down their lone capital ship? I dunno.

17 minutes ago, Blail Blerg said:

I'm not sure. At the Task Force size, I feel like you almost want squadrons to have more impact, thematically (think Atollon from Rebels). But for me, it just means I'd be running a squadronless 1-ship ISD...